Need to add ram

slimcan

Need to add ram

I use a lot of ram , plus vista sucks up most of it.
I went to crucial .com and found ram for my dell 530s, however my dell
has ddr2 sdram and the site gives me DDR2. It is misssing the SDRAM part
of the descrition .

I ask if the product is missing SDRAM and only says DDR2 it should
not be the Same. TRUE?
Plus Crusial has a ram test on the site. I have only 2 sticks and the
site says i have the max amount of ram on my dell....

--
slimcan
DonQ

Re: Need to add ram
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 23:49:40 -0600, slimcan <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>I use a lot of ram , plus vista sucks up most of it.
>I went to crucial .com and found ram for my dell 530s, however my dell
>has ddr2 sdram and the site gives me DDR2. It is misssing the SDRAM part
>of the descrition .

No big deal.

>I ask if the product is missing SDRAM and only says DDR2 it should
>not be the Same. TRUE?
>Plus Crusial has a ram test on the site. I have only 2 sticks and the
>site says i have the max amount of ram on my dell....

If the site says you have the max, then all is moot.

You can't add any more.

Don
Ken Blake

Re: Need to add ram
"slimcan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I use a lot of ram , plus vista sucks up most of it.

Windows is desgned to use all, or almost all of your RAM, no matter how much
you have. If your apps don't need it, Windows will take it temporarily,
using it for things like caching, then give it back to your apps if they
need it later.

You say you "need to add RAM," but to help us evaluate whether that's true,
please tell us how much RAM you presently have and what apps you run.

> I went to crucial .com and found ram for my dell 530s, however my dell
> has ddr2 sdram and the site gives me DDR2. It is misssing the SDRAM part
> of the descrition .
>
> I ask if the product is missing SDRAM and only says DDR2 it should
> not be the Same. TRUE?
> Plus Crusial has a ram test on the site. I have only 2 sticks and the
> site says i have the max amount of ram on my dell....
>

> --
> slimcan

Rick Rogers

Re: Need to add ram
Hi,

Crucial is rarely wrong. If it says it will work, then it will.

Max ram depends on the motherboard Dell used. Don't confuse the maximum
allowed ram with having all the slots full (meaning that you may have 2x1GB
sticks now, and could have 2x2GB sticks if your motherboard supports having
that much). Most modern 32-bit boards support up to 4GB of ram, Dell should
have specifics for your model on their site.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"slimcan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I use a lot of ram , plus vista sucks up most of it.
> I went to crucial .com and found ram for my dell 530s, however my dell
> has ddr2 sdram and the site gives me DDR2. It is misssing the SDRAM part
> of the descrition .
>
> I ask if the product is missing SDRAM and only says DDR2 it should
> not be the Same. TRUE?
> Plus Crusial has a ram test on the site. I have only 2 sticks and the
> site says i have the max amount of ram on my dell....
>

> --
> slimcan

slimcan

Re: Need to add ram

I have 2 sticks of 512mb. When I use task manger it says im using 60% at
its lowest. SO maybe I have the concept wrong. Acording to your
statement I am not making a true ram test.
SO How does one know if more ram is needed?

--
slimcan
The Max

Re: Need to add ram
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 05:47:07 -0600, slimcan <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>I have 2 sticks of 512mb. When I use task manger it says im using 60% at
>its lowest. SO maybe I have the concept wrong. Acording to your
>statement I am not making a true ram test.
>SO How does one know if more ram is needed?

It's this simple: if you have less than 2MB and your mobo supports
more than you have, more RAM is needed.

--
Max
mansrm81

Re: Need to add ram

You need at least 2GB of ram for vista to run smoother.

--
mansrm81

If you think I helped you fix your problem give me some rep . Click on
the scales. [image:
http://www.vistax64.com/members/mans...-untitled.jpg]

> I have 2 sticks of 512mb. When I use task manger it says im using 60% at
> its lowest. SO maybe I have the concept wrong. Acording to your
> statement I am not making a true ram test.
> SO How does one know if more ram is needed?

Since you quoted nothing, I have no idea who the you of "your statement" is.
However 1GB of RAM for a computer running Vista is considerably too low for
almost everybody. In general, decent Vista performance starts at 2GB.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Need to add ram
"slimcan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have 2 sticks of 512mb. When I use task manger it says im using 60% at
> its lowest. SO maybe I have the concept wrong. Acording to your
> statement I am not making a true ram test.
> SO How does one know if more ram is needed?
>

> --
> slimcan

According to all websites showing specs for the Dell 530s slim desktop
machine, your computer should have 2gb RAM already, expandable to 4gb..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Robert McMillan

Re: Need to add ram
"slimcan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I use a lot of ram , plus vista sucks up most of it.
> I went to crucial .com and found ram for my dell 530s, however my dell
> has ddr2 sdram and the site gives me DDR2. It is misssing the SDRAM part
> of the descrition .
>
> I ask if the product is missing SDRAM and only says DDR2 it should
> not be the Same. TRUE?
> Plus Crusial has a ram test on the site. I have only 2 sticks and the
> site says i have the max amount of ram on my dell....
>

> --
> slimcan

Assuming that Dell 530s in the Desktop Inspiron 530s, then I know it can
take 4GB (a friend has one like this from factory as 4x1GB on Vista 32bit)
and I believe Dell now has 64bit drivers on their website so it should be
able to use 8Gb of ram under a 64bit operating system)