Bluescreen and some problems

antonisg1

Bluescreen and some problems

I installed Vista Ultimate x64 2 days ago and I'm getting frequent
bluescreens with a message that says something like: "a program
attempted to write on read-only memory" and "try to turn cacheing or
shadowing off"... Anyone has an idea on this? I'm also getting frequent
crashes on Firefox 3 and PES 2009. I just get a message that they
stopped working. Are these connected in any way?
Thanks..

--
antonisg1
Rick Rogers

Re: Bluescreen and some problems
Hi,

Check your video drivers. The best source for x64 compatible ones is the
adapter manufacturer.

Caching/shadowing is a BIOS option and would need to be disabled there. This
is often recommended for video issues when updating drivers does not help.

See if the other issues continue after resolving the video driver problem.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"antonisg1" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I installed Vista Ultimate x64 2 days ago and I'm getting frequent
> bluescreens with a message that says something like: "a program
> attempted to write on read-only memory" and "try to turn cacheing or
> shadowing off"... Anyone has an idea on this? I'm also getting frequent
> crashes on Firefox 3 and PES 2009. I just get a message that they
> stopped working. Are these connected in any way?
> Thanks..
>

> --
> antonisg1

jcgriff2

Re: Bluescreen and some problems

Hi. . .

There s/b mini kernel memory dump files left behind by the BSODs. If
you gather them and some system info, I will gladly process the dumps to
see what clues they hold.

The dumps s/b in \windows\munidump and have names similar to
Mini110508-01.dmp - but you will need to copy them out to your documents
folder before zipping them. Also, please run the following system
reports as I will need system & driver information while going through
the dump files:

*-Perfmon (Vista system health report):-*
START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | RIGHT-click on cmd.exe
above | select Run as Administrator | the cmd/DOS screen will appear -
type the following:

*perfmon /report*

It will take 60 seconds to run and the output will appear in an IE7
browser. Please save as an HTM or HTML file - you'll see the default
file extension when you go to save it (click on Page - top-right IE7
screen, save as, save file).

*-msinfo32-*
START | type msinfo32 & hit enter - save it as an NFO file (default)

*-Driverquery-*
Bring up an elevated command/"DOS" prompt -
START | type cmd.exe | right-click on cmd.exe above - under Programs |
select Run as admin - copy/paste the two commands = 1 at a time into the
DOS screen (to paste into DOS screen, right-click at top of DOS screen,
select Edit, select paste - then hit enter if need be):

Code:
--------------------
DRIVERQUERY /V > %TEMP%\DRIVERS1.TXT
--------------------

Code:
--------------------
DRIVERQUERY /SI >> %TEMP%\DRIVERS1.TXT & START NOTEPAD %TEMP%\DRIVERS1.TXT
--------------------

These 2 must be executed from the elevated admin cmd/DOS prompt as I
described. When you paste the first in & hit enter, it may appear to
hang momentarily - it is just gathereing information. When the 1st
completes, enter the 2nd immediately. When it finishes, a notepad will
appear withe the output of the 2 commands. Save it as a text file.

Zip up the perfmon HTM/L, minidumps, msinfo32 NFO file and the driver
query text file and attach to your next post.

Any ? - please let me know.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

antonisg1

Re: Bluescreen and some problems

thanks for your reply man, but after some more errors and crashes I ran
the Memory Diagnostics Tool and found memory problems as well so I'll be
sending the machine back to the manufacturer to fix this properly.

Thanks again

Antonis

--
antonisg1
jcgriff2

Re: Bluescreen and some problems

I wish you the best of luck w/ your new system.

jcgriff2

--
jcgriff2