Paint shop Pro and Vista

Big John

Paint shop Pro and Vista
Been using PSP7 on my old computer with XP and it loaded on my new
laptop with Vista on it with no problem but every time I attempt to do
anything the programs stops and must be restarted . I'm sure it's the
old drivers aren't compatible with Vista. Can anyone tell me where to
get drivers for PSP7 that will work on Vista??

BJ
barman58

Re: Paint shop Pro and Vista

Big John;877179 Wrote:
> Been using PSP7 on my old computer with XP and it loaded on my new
> laptop with Vista on it with no problem but every time I attempt to do
> anything the programs stops and must be restarted . I'm sure it's the
> old drivers aren't compatible with Vista. Can anyone tell me where to
> get drivers for PSP7 that will work on Vista??
>
> BJ

Hi BJ,

PSP7 shouldn't need drivers per se to work but you may want to try
running the program in compatibility mode, find the main program file in
program files, right click and on the properties choose the
compatibility tab and select XP SP2 and see if that helps, you couls
also try the same with the shortcut in start menu but it's normally
better with the .EXE

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Big John

Re: Paint shop Pro and Vista
barman58 wrote:
> Big John;877179 Wrote:
>> Been using PSP7 on my old computer with XP and it loaded on my new
>> laptop with Vista on it with no problem but every time I attempt to do
>> anything the programs stops and must be restarted . I'm sure it's the
>> old drivers aren't compatible with Vista. Can anyone tell me where to
>> get drivers for PSP7 that will work on Vista??
>>
>> BJ

> Hi BJ,
>
> PSP7 shouldn't need drivers per se to work but you may want to try
> running the program in compatibility mode, find the main program file in
> program files, right click and on the properties choose the
> compatibility tab and select XP SP2 and see if that helps, you couls
> also try the same with the shortcut in start menu but it's normally
> better with the .EXE

Sounds like a reasonable idea, but I must not be finding the correct
file, because I do not find a "compatibility" tab under PSP8 properties.
I must be looking in the wrong place! I've searched every place I know
and nowhere do I find a "compatibility "tab". I remember seeing it in my
old XP computer but not in Vista.

bj
Rick Rogers

Re: Paint shop Pro and Vista
Hi,

The compatibility tab would be on the properties of either the program
executable or a shortcut to it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Big John" <watson6918@sbcglobal.invalid.net> wrote in message
> barman58 wrote:
>> Big John;877179 Wrote:
>>> Been using PSP7 on my old computer with XP and it loaded on my new
>>> laptop with Vista on it with no problem but every time I attempt to do
>>> anything the programs stops and must be restarted . I'm sure it's the
>>> old drivers aren't compatible with Vista. Can anyone tell me where to
>>> get drivers for PSP7 that will work on Vista??
>>>
>>> BJ

>> Hi BJ,
>>
>> PSP7 shouldn't need drivers per se to work but you may want to try
>> running the program in compatibility mode, find the main program file in
>> program files, right click and on the properties choose the
>> compatibility tab and select XP SP2 and see if that helps, you couls
>> also try the same with the shortcut in start menu but it's normally
>> better with the .EXE
>>

> Sounds like a reasonable idea, but I must not be finding the correct file,
> because I do not find a "compatibility" tab under PSP8 properties. I must
> be looking in the wrong place! I've searched every place I know and
> nowhere do I find a "compatibility "tab". I remember seeing it in my old
> XP computer but not in Vista.
>
> bj

Big D

Re: Paint shop Pro and Vista
Big John <watson6918@sbcglobal.invalid.net> wrote:

>Been using PSP7 on my old computer with XP and it loaded on my new
>laptop with Vista on it with no problem but every time I attempt to do
>anything the programs stops and must be restarted . I'm sure it's the
>old drivers aren't compatible with Vista. Can anyone tell me where to
>get drivers for PSP7 that will work on Vista??

PSP7 works fine here without a hiccup. Always has.

It doesn't use "drivers".
barman58

Re: Paint shop Pro and Vista

Big John;877224 Wrote:
> barman58 wrote:> > >
> > > do
> > > the
> > > >>

> > > Hi BJ,
> > >
> > > PSP7 shouldn't need drivers per se to work but you may want to

> > try
> > > running the program in compatibility mode, find the main program

> > file in
> > > program files, right click and on the properties choose the
> > > compatibility tab and select XP SP2 and see if that helps, you

> > couls
> > > also try the same with the shortcut in start menu but it's

> > normally
> > > better with the .EXE

> file, because I do not find a "compatibility" tab under PSP8
> properties.
> I must be looking in the wrong place! I've searched every place I
> know
> and nowhere do I find a "compatibility "tab". I remember seeing it in
> my
> old XP computer but not in Vista.
>
> bj

Hi BJ,

Find the program shortcut in start menu or on desktop, right click on
this and choose properties, the compatibility tab should be 3rd from
left, select the mode you want from the drop down box. You may also want
to try "run as Administrator" near the bottom of the dialogue.

To find the original file (the .EXE) from the properties of the
shortcut, the secons tab is the "shortcut" tab on here should be an
"open File Location Button this will allow you to find the .exe

I have noticed that certain applications (E.G. Adobe Reader) do not
show a shortcut tab. in this case you can try the right click "run as
Administrator option and see if that improves things. it would then be a
case of manually finding the .EXE. to adjust it's properties. You may
need to take ownership of the EXE file to change it

Hope this helps

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Mick Murphy

Re: Paint shop Pro and Vista
You do not look in Program files for the .exe
You have the .exe you install it.

--
Mad Mike

"barman58" wrote:

> Big John;877179 Wrote:
> > Been using PSP7 on my old computer with XP and it loaded on my new
> > laptop with Vista on it with no problem but every time I attempt to do
> > anything the programs stops and must be restarted . I'm sure it's the
> > old drivers aren't compatible with Vista. Can anyone tell me where to
> > get drivers for PSP7 that will work on Vista??
> >
> > BJ

> Hi BJ,
>
> PSP7 shouldn't need drivers per se to work but you may want to try
> running the program in compatibility mode, find the main program file in
> program files, right click and on the properties choose the
> compatibility tab and select XP SP2 and see if that helps, you couls
> also try the same with the shortcut in start menu but it's normally
> better with the .EXE
>

> --
> barman58
>
> Regards,
> *Nigel*
> the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
> understand.,- frank herbert

Big John

Re: Paint shop Pro and Vista
barman58 wrote:
> Big John;877224 Wrote:

>>> try
>>> file in
>>> couls
>>> normally

>> file, because I do not find a "compatibility" tab under PSP8
>> properties.
>> I must be looking in the wrong place! I've searched every place I
>> know
>> and nowhere do I find a "compatibility "tab". I remember seeing it in
>> my
>> old XP computer but not in Vista.
>>
>> bj

> Hi BJ,
>
> Find the program shortcut in start menu or on desktop, right click on
> this and choose properties, the compatibility tab should be 3rd from
> left, select the mode you want from the drop down box. You may also want
> to try "run as Administrator" near the bottom of the dialogue.
>
> To find the original file (the .EXE) from the properties of the
> shortcut, the secons tab is the "shortcut" tab on here should be an
> "open File Location Button this will allow you to find the .exe
>
> I have noticed that certain applications (E.G. Adobe Reader) do not
> show a shortcut tab. in this case you can try the right click "run as
> Administrator option and see if that improves things. it would then be a
> case of manually finding the .EXE. to adjust it's properties. You may
> need to take ownership of the EXE file to change it
>
> Hope this helps

WOW! I must have a *******ized program because when I open "Properties"
I get 4 tabs, "General,, "Shortcut", "Security" and "Details". I have
gone through each and nowhere do I find "Compatibility"!!

bj
Big D

Re: Paint shop Pro and Vista
Big John <watson6918@sbcglobal.invalid.net> wrote:

>WOW! I must have a *******ized program because when I open "Properties"
>I get 4 tabs, "General,, "Shortcut", "Security" and "Details". I have
>gone through each and nowhere do I find "Compatibility"!!

Mine must be *******ized too.
Big John

Re: Paint shop Pro and Vista
Big John wrote:
> Been using PSP7 on my old computer with XP and it loaded on my new
> laptop with Vista on it with no problem but every time I attempt to do
> anything the programs stops and must be restarted . I'm sure it's the
> old drivers aren't compatible with Vista. Can anyone tell me where to
> get drivers for PSP7 that will work on Vista??
>
> BJ

Well, I don't know what to say now, except that I went back into it
after doing nothing and tried again, and it worked beautifully -- three
times!! I thought it was fixed, then on the fourth try it turned on me
again and and is back to it's old tricks!! Now I can't duplicate the
problem consistently!! Every time it happens I must shut down and
reboot!! Great fun!!

I run the same identical programs on my alternate computer,running XP
and have for about three years with never a glitch!! I have duplicated
the steps precisely, side by side - and the old one (XP) still performs
beautifully without fail, while the new one (Vista) either gags every
time or is inconsistent -- so I am convinced it's a Vista problem!!! Not
interested in hearing any more about how wonderful Vista is!! If this
were the first problem I had with Vista, I might be a little more
considerate, but it's not - it;s just been one thing after another, and
I'm sick of it!!!!

Thanks for your efforts to help-- I really appreciate it !

bj
bj