Vista screensaver doesn't work but I DON'T HAVE WIRELESS DEVICES

jesspang

Vista screensaver doesn't work but I DON'T HAVE WIRELESS DEVICES

I have searched all over the internet for advice on this problem but
have not found anything helpful yet. My screensaver never activates on
my Dell, Vista run laptop. In fact, it won't even sleep after the 25
minutes it's set to fall asleep after. Even when I try to preview the
screensavers, they will show for a second and then shut off. I have
tried ending the ehtray.exe, but it does nothing.

Everything I have found on the internet thus far pertaining to similar
problems points to wireless mice and keyboards as the cause of the
problem, but I have neither of these.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this, and how to fix
it? I would be so grateful.

--
jesspang
jesspang's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jesspang.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

sunphoenix

Re: Vista screensaver doesn't work but I DON'T HAVE WIRELESS DEVICES

I have the exact same problem. I then formatted with SP1 , it worked at
the beginning but as soon as I install some windows update it screw up
everything. Screen saver and auto-sleep doesn't work anymore...

--
sunphoenix
sunphoenix's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sunphoenix.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ce/1062733.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

jodybrai

Re: Vista screensaver doesn't work but I DON'T HAVE WIRELESS DEVICES

My Dell laptop, running Vista SP1 is having the same issue. No wireless
mouse/keyboard. Deleting ehtray.exe didn't help.

Also, possibly related, my screen doesn't turn off when i close the
lid.

It *does*turn off if i plug in a projector and close the lid, but then
it -won't turn back on!- I have to unplug the projector and reboot the
system to get the screen back.

So, any tips out there, o mighty internets?

--
jodybrai
jodybrai's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jodybrai.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ce/1062733.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

sunphoenix

Re: Vista screensaver doesn't work but I DON'T HAVE WIRELESS DEVICES

I solved my problem with formatting (again) and installing a new version
of the synaptics drivers (for the touch pad). I'm 90% sure this is what
was causing the problem.

--
sunphoenix
sunphoenix's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sunphoenix.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ce/1062733.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

jodybrai

Re: Vista screensaver doesn't work but I DON'T HAVE WIRELESS DEVICES

I had thought that i'd managed to update all the drivers, but it's
possible i missed some.

As the machine was under warranty, i've taken it to the shop. If they
can't figure it out in a couple days, i'll try updating the touchpad
drivers.

And of course, if they *do* figure it out, i'll be sure to post the
solution they arrived at.

Old usb devices work fine,new usb devices would not install Christopher Hume microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 11 08-13-2008 17:19
Re: Old usb devices work fine,new usb devices would not install Christopher Hume microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 08-13-2008 17:19
Re: Old usb devices work fine,new usb devices would not install Christopher Hume microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 08-13-2008 00:01
Article ID: 928236 Recording devices may not work if the devices have the same name in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
ScreenSaver InOp-no wireless devices AEmedic microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 09-17-2007 13:21