Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista desktop

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2008
Jerry
 

Posts: n/a
Vista desktop
All has been well until yesterday after installing two updates it said I
must have. When I restarted the computer the desktop took up the entire
left side of the screen with no areas top or bottom to change size. My
quicklaunch and taskbar, which should be in the lower blue portion are now
in a a sidebar on the right side of the screen.
Everything is there, but not where I want it, and all my desktop icons have
been moved around from where I had them.

How can I get the quicklaunce back to the lower left side of the screen.
There is no room any longer to drag the toolbars, nor anything else down
there. I need to resize the entire desktop.

What do I do now?

Thanks,

Jerry.nh@verizon.net

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2008
pooch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista desktop

Hi Jerry

Right click on a free space select personalize, selct display settings,
you can now resize your desktop

I hope this helps
Pooch


--
pooch
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2008
Jerry
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista desktop
I tried it but to no avail. I can move and resize the desktop left and
right but there is no place to move or resize it up or down. That's my
problem.

But thanks for the reply.
"pooch" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:509fe6d8e81723b0352a0fbaf2f42e40@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Hi Jerry
>
> Right click on a free space select personalize, selct display settings,
> you can now resize your desktop
>
> I hope this helps
> Pooch
>
>
> --
> pooch


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2008
JerryM
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista desktop
Jerry, can you drag the side bar down to the bottom?

"Jerry" <jerry.nh@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:urQLRBgOJHA.3748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> All has been well until yesterday after installing two updates it said I
> must have. When I restarted the computer the desktop took up the entire
> left side of the screen with no areas top or bottom to change size. My
> quicklaunch and taskbar, which should be in the lower blue portion are now
> in a a sidebar on the right side of the screen.
> Everything is there, but not where I want it, and all my desktop icons
> have been moved around from where I had them.
>
> How can I get the quicklaunce back to the lower left side of the screen.
> There is no room any longer to drag the toolbars, nor anything else down
> there. I need to resize the entire desktop.
>
> What do I do now?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry.nh@verizon.net


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2008
JerryM
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista desktop
Also if that doesn't work, try the following keys to rotate the screen:
Ctrl+Alt+the up arrow key.

"Jerry" <jerry.nh@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:urQLRBgOJHA.3748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> All has been well until yesterday after installing two updates it said I
> must have. When I restarted the computer the desktop took up the entire
> left side of the screen with no areas top or bottom to change size. My
> quicklaunch and taskbar, which should be in the lower blue portion are now
> in a a sidebar on the right side of the screen.
> Everything is there, but not where I want it, and all my desktop icons
> have been moved around from where I had them.
>
> How can I get the quicklaunce back to the lower left side of the screen.
> There is no room any longer to drag the toolbars, nor anything else down
> there. I need to resize the entire desktop.
>
> What do I do now?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry.nh@verizon.net


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2008
Jerry
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista desktop
No, that's the problem. There is no 'bottom', since the desktop takes up
the entire screen with no area underneath it. The control alt up arrow
doesn't work either. I did manage to rotate the whole thing but it still
took up the entire screen and the current quick launch won't move anyplace
else except in the new sidebar I have to the right of the screen.

So far, nothing works to give me what I want. Even in the help screen it
explains that the quick launch is right next to the start button, but on my
screen it is at the top right of the screen and everything else is below it
in the sidebar. There is nust nothing that I have tried so far, including
a restore, that willl give me the conventional desktop.

I do appreciate the advice I am being given even though so far none of it
works.


"JerryM" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
news:e$dhyTqOJHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Jerry, can you drag the side bar down to the bottom?
>
> "Jerry" <jerry.nh@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:urQLRBgOJHA.3748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> All has been well until yesterday after installing two updates it said I
>> must have. When I restarted the computer the desktop took up the entire
>> left side of the screen with no areas top or bottom to change size. My
>> quicklaunch and taskbar, which should be in the lower blue portion are
>> now in a a sidebar on the right side of the screen.
>> Everything is there, but not where I want it, and all my desktop icons
>> have been moved around from where I had them.
>>
>> How can I get the quicklaunce back to the lower left side of the screen.
>> There is no room any longer to drag the toolbars, nor anything else down
>> there. I need to resize the entire desktop.
>>
>> What do I do now?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jerry.nh@verizon.net

>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2008
pooch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista desktop

Hey Jerry,

Not to worry, I have still got a few ideas that may help

(make sure the computer is switched off)

Check the graphic card connections

Check that the graphic card is sitting properly

Try uninstalling, reinstalling the graphic driver, if this doesn't work
try an earlier driver

Let me know how you get on

Pooch


--
pooch
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista laptop...Linksys...XP desktop...can't connect to desktop?? Calgar microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 06-11-2008 10:19
How to make desktop icons go away from desktop toolbar in Vista? Weltanscha microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 04-22-2008 02:22
Running vista, and my desktop went black, and desktop icon went aw redrunner89 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 04-05-2008 19:33
Vista desktop to windows xp desktop Obie microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 12-25-2007 20:58
RDC Vista laptop to XP desktop. Can't get desktop to print at lap Dynamo^Joe microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 09-25-2007 23:12




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:20.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120