New User Wanting to Install More RAM

SevSaint

New User Wanting to Install More RAM

I have never done much maintenance work on my computer. I bought it last
year and have had very few problems with it, but i would like better
performance out of it in the gaming area.
I only have 1gig of ram installed and am using windows Vista Home
Basic.
I have been told that this is not enough RAM and i can tell it by the
way the computer acts.
So i want to upgrade ram with at least 1 more gig if not to.
I have 4 slots and no idea how easy or difficult the process is.

1. Does the ram chip come with installation disk
2. Can i mess up my computer
3. Do i have to reinstall anything on my drive (I'm missing my dell
image file)
4. Anyone have a tutorial.

BTW i looked up my comp specs and found a great price of around 20-40
dollars for 2 1gig cards.
Thanks in advance

--
SevSaint
pooch

Re: New User Wanting to Install More RAM

Hey 'SevSaint' (http://www.vistax64.com/members/sevsaint.html),

In answer to your questions,
1. no
2.not normally
3.no, but you may possibly have to re-activate

Switch off your computer.
Open the case.
Touch the metal insides with your hands before you do anything else
(against static).
Open the locking clips at both ends of your RAM.
Carefully lift out the RAM noting exactly how it was seated as *it only
fits one way *(Do not touch the contacts)
write down the RAM details, normally written on a sticker on the RAM.
Or take the ram with you to the dealer as you need to get the right type
of RAM to fit your MB
Install the new RAM onto the MB after first touching the case before
you touch the RAM and *paying attention to the correct positioning*
Press the RAM home in the slots this will also close both locking clips,

check everything is sitting properly
close case
start computer
check to see that new RAM is registered on start up

--
pooch
Mike Hall - MVP

"SevSaint" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have never done much maintenance work on my computer. I bought it last
> year and have had very few problems with it, but i would like better
> performance out of it in the gaming area.
> I only have 1gig of ram installed and am using windows Vista Home
> Basic.
> I have been told that this is not enough RAM and i can tell it by the
> way the computer acts.
> So i want to upgrade ram with at least 1 more gig if not to.
> I have 4 slots and no idea how easy or difficult the process is.
>
> 1. Does the ram chip come with installation disk
> 2. Can i mess up my computer
> 3. Do i have to reinstall anything on my drive (I'm missing my dell
> image file)
> 4. Anyone have a tutorial.
>
> BTW i looked up my comp specs and found a great price of around 20-40
> dollars for 2 1gig cards.
> Thanks in advance
>

> --
> SevSaint

Go to www.crucial.com. You can connect with the website and it will tell you
what is installed, how many slots, and type that can be fitted.. print off
the results and then look for RAM of the same type..

RAM is keyed (a small slot around half way down the pins), and is secured by
a clip at either end.

Swapping RAM out is easy.. ground yourself on the case and take due care
when changing them..

RAM will auto detect, so no installation media is required..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

SevSaint

Re: New User Wanting to Install More RAM

Awsome. Would rubber gloves be advised. I dont want to take any
chances.. So i can afford to be safe?

--
SevSaint
block215

Re: New User Wanting to Install More RAM

no just shut off your comps power on the surge protector and the back of
the pc..

--
block215