Duplicate folders in C:\Users\

Nigel Molesworth

Duplicate folders in C:\Users\
My main documents, contacts, videos (...) folders are on a totally separate
drive, relocated using the Location tab on the folder Properties.

It has been working fine for a year or more, but suddenly I keep getting
duplicate folders in C:\Users\Nigel\

Any way to stop this?

On a similar subject, is there any way to stop programs from creating
sub-folders in MY documents folder?

--
Nigel M

If my question is about apples, please don't suggest bananas
Brink

Re: Duplicate folders in C:\Users\

Hello Nigel,

You can use the manual method in Option Three of this tutorial below to
make sure that the user folder has the correct full path of the new
location you wanted it to be in the registry.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/14...ng-folder.html

Unless the program has a option in it to not save files to that folder
or to have it save the files in a location of your choice, then you
cannot stop it from creating the folders other than uninstalling the
program. If the program has the default user folder location set as it's
location to save files to, then this will cause that user folder to keep
being recreated in the default location instead.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Nigel Molesworth;873903 Wrote:
> My main documents, contacts, videos (...) folders are on a totally
> separate
> drive, relocated using the Location tab on the folder Properties.
>
> It has been working fine for a year or more, but suddenly I keep
> getting
> duplicate folders in C:\Users\Nigel\
>
> Any way to stop this?
>
> On a similar subject, is there any way to stop programs from creating
> sub-folders in MY documents folder?
>
> --
> Nigel M
>
> If my question is about apples, please don't suggest bananas

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Nigel Molesworth

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:30:14 -0500, Brink <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>You can use the manual method in Option Three of this tutorial below to
>make sure that the user folder has the correct full path of the new
>location you wanted it to be in the registry.

Yes, folders all have entries on my M: drive, as required.

Nigel Molesworth;875650 Wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:30:14 -0500, Brink <guest@xxxxxx-email.com>
> wrote:
> > > >
> > >You can use the manual method in Option Three of this tutorial below

> > >make sure that the user folder has the correct full path of the new
> > >location you wanted it to be in the registry. > >

> Yes, folders all have entries on my M: drive, as required.

Did you change the default folder path in the programs to use the new
User folder location instead since they were relocated? The program will
continue to recreate whatever "C:\Users\(user name)" folder it is
pointed to until changed.

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:37:46 -0500, Brink <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Did you change the default folder path in the programs to use the new
>User folder location instead since they were relocated? The program will
>continue to recreate whatever "C:\Users\(user name)" folder it is
>pointed to until changed.

I don't think the last statement is true, surely that is the point of the
registry entries? However, I changed the path when I installed Vista a year
ago, it is only recently that the problem has occurred.

Nigel Molesworth;876100 Wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:37:46 -0500, Brink <guest@xxxxxx-email.com>
> wrote:
> > > >
> > >Did you change the default folder path in the programs to use the new
> > >User folder location instead since they were relocated? The program

> > will
> > >continue to recreate whatever "C:\Users\(user name)" folder it is
> > >pointed to until changed. > >

> I don't think the last statement is true, surely that is the point of
> the
> registry entries? However, I changed the path when I installed Vista
> a year
> ago, it is only recently that the problem has occurred.

Yep, it's true. When I had the "C:\Users\Documents" folder relocated
onto the D: drive, Messenger would create a yellow folder version of the
"C:\Users\Documents" folder with it's folder in it. Messenger always
kept creating a folder in the "C:\Users\Documents" folder when I deleted
that yellow "C:\Users\Documents" folder until I turned that option off
or changed the Messenger folder location in Messenger's options.

Hope that didn't ramble to much.

Shawn

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 07:40:54 -0500, Brink <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Messenger always
>kept creating a folder in the "C:\Users\Documents" folder when I deleted
>that yellow "C:\Users\Documents" folder until I turned that option off
>or changed the Messenger folder location in Messenger's options.

Ah, so it's Messenger doing it [goes away to check...], yes it is! I now
have an extra Contact folder.

So, how do I stop it?

Brink

Re: Duplicate folders in C:\Users\

Nigel,

In Messenger, look in Options and Messages. You will see under "Message
History" a option to uncheck this to stop it or to change the path to
another location.

I'm not sure that Messenger would affect the C:\Users\Contacts though.
I know Windows Live Mail will add a item there, but that cannot be
changed though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn