massive problem with Vista Backup

braindead

massive problem with Vista Backup

Hi,
I'm using Vista Ultimate x64 German version and tried to do a complete
PC backup via the Vista Backup tool to an external hard drive.
The backup starts and after a certain time ("within the part "backup is
being stored") there's no more raction at all.
I waited for more than two hours and still no change. Then I switched
off the external harddrive which had no reaction. Cancelling the backup
didn't work so I had to shutdown the laptop the hardway (longpress on
power). After the new start all my settings (within Thunderbird, ...)
are lost. I have no idea why.
So I tried it again (this time with switched off virus scanner and
firewall) but still the same problem. That sucks!
I have no idea where the problem is. After reading several posts I
think all in all the Vista Ultimate backup feature is far good enough
for my needs, but it does not work.
When the laptop restart I have the message "213/213 Registy components"
and I'm not sure whether this was already there before I tried to do the
first backup.

--
braindead
amlandreau

Re: massive problem with Vista Backup
Hi braindead,
Did you try to backup on a different media such as DVD ? The problem may
come from your external drive on its controller ?
I often use the full backup/restaure on Vista Ultimate without problems.
Good luck
André

"braindead" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I'm using Vista Ultimate x64 German version and tried to do a complete
> PC backup via the Vista Backup tool to an external hard drive.
> The backup starts and after a certain time ("within the part "backup is
> being stored") there's no more raction at all.
> I waited for more than two hours and still no change. Then I switched
> off the external harddrive which had no reaction. Cancelling the backup
> didn't work so I had to shutdown the laptop the hardway (longpress on
> power). After the new start all my settings (within Thunderbird, ...)
> are lost. I have no idea why.
> So I tried it again (this time with switched off virus scanner and
> firewall) but still the same problem. That sucks!
> I have no idea where the problem is. After reading several posts I
> think all in all the Vista Ultimate backup feature is far good enough
> for my needs, but it does not work.
> When the laptop restart I have the message "213/213 Registy components"
> and I'm not sure whether this was already there before I tried to do the
> first backup.
>

> --
> braindead

roraniel

Re: massive problem with Vista Backup

I had a similar problem when I first installed Vista Ultimate. Just
shooting in the dark I dumped all my other data on the external HD to
another drive and formatted the external HD using Vista. That solved the
problem.

--
roraniel
roraniel's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=759

Christine [MSFT]

RE: massive problem with Vista Backup
Hi,

We've recently started a new forum on Backup and Restore related topics. I'd
encourage you to post your questions there for the benefit of other users
who may be encountering the same problem.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ackup/threads/

Regards,
--
Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division