Disk Fragmenter

=?Utf-8?B?bGlrZWx5bGFkNjUw?=

Disk Fragmenter
Hi Can anyone out there please tell me how I can check on the progress once
I start a Disk Fragmenter task. With XP I could analize and decide if I
needed to run the task and then on screen you had a visual of the progress.
With vista all you get is that it is running and could take from minutes to
hours. I cannot find out how the task is progressing. Please ,Please help me.
I cannot find the answer on the site
Pulse

Re: Disk Fragmenter
I use the free Auslogic defrag tool. It seems to work and is free, probably
some will say that it's useless like CCleaner which I also like!

"likelylad650" <likelylad650@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Can anyone out there please tell me how I can check on the progress
> once
> I start a Disk Fragmenter task. With XP I could analize and decide if I
> needed to run the task and then on screen you had a visual of the
> progress.
> With vista all you get is that it is running and could take from minutes
> hours. I cannot find out how the task is progressing. Please ,Please help
> me.
> I cannot find the answer on the site

John Barnett MVP

Re: Disk Fragmenter
The option to 'see' what disk defragmenter is doing has been removed.
Microsoft didn't think it was necessary for the user to be stuck in front of
the screen watching coloured strips moving back and forth as the
defragmentation proceeded.

You could use the command prompt to defragment the drive. This will tell you
what percentage of the drive is fragmented, but it is still extremely slow.
You also need to use the command prompt in 'elevated' mode (click start>all
programs>accessories. Right click command prompt and, from the drop down
menu, click 'run as administrator')

I'm not sure about the defragmenter that Pulse recommends, mainly because i
have never used it. An excellent thrid party defragmenter (not free,
unfortunately) is PerfectDisk. This is the defragmenter that I constantly
use and, at least, with perfectDisk, you can 'analyse' the disk prior to
defragmenting.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"likelylad650" <likelylad650@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Can anyone out there please tell me how I can check on the progress
> once
> I start a Disk Fragmenter task. With XP I could analize and decide if I
> needed to run the task and then on screen you had a visual of the
> progress.
> With vista all you get is that it is running and could take from minutes
> hours. I cannot find out how the task is progressing. Please ,Please help
> me.
> I cannot find the answer on the site

John Barnett MVP

Re: Disk Fragmenter
Pulse, CCleaner is far from useless, i for one use it regularly and
recommend it, too. A lot of people complain about the so called 'damage'
that may be done when using CCleaner's 'Issues' option. Unlike a lot of
registry cleaners at least CCleaner does prompt you for a backup prior to
removing any registry entries. Having said that the Issues option of
CCleaner is one part that isn't all that good. As for the rest of CCleaner
i'm with you, I like it and think its great!

--

"Pulse" <billynicol@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>I use the free Auslogic defrag tool. It seems to work and is free,
>probably some will say that it's useless like CCleaner which I also like!

> "likelylad650" <likelylad650@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Can anyone out there please tell me how I can check on the progress
>> once
>> I start a Disk Fragmenter task. With XP I could analize and decide if I
>> needed to run the task and then on screen you had a visual of the
>> progress.
>> With vista all you get is that it is running and could take from minutes
>> hours. I cannot find out how the task is progressing. Please ,Please help
>> me.
>> I cannot find the answer on the site

Abe

Re: Disk Fragmenter
>Hi Can anyone out there please tell me how I can check on the progress once
>I start a Disk Fragmenter task. With XP I could analize and decide if I
>needed to run the task and then on screen you had a visual of the progress.
>With vista all you get is that it is running and could take from minutes to
>hours. I cannot find out how the task is progressing. Please ,Please help me.
>I cannot find the answer on the site

Windows has a built-in disk FRAGMENTER?
vanilla

Re: Disk Fragmenter
It seems like Microsoft made a strong "slash and burn" effort to remove
unnecessary code from Vista. Perhaps, at 55+ million lines of code, this was
a good thing. I, too, miss the ability to watch the graphical display in
disk defragmenter. I would only watch for a few minutes, then minimize, then
come back later to see how things were going. In an instant, you could see
how far along the run was and estimate how much longer you had until it was
finished.

Perhaps this code (and Contacts back in the bottom of the left pane in
WinMail) would be good to have in a future version of Vista PowerToys (g).
Thanks for definitely stating that the code has been removed. Now we know.

.... vanilla ...

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> The option to 'see' what disk defragmenter is doing has been removed.
> Microsoft didn't think it was necessary for the user to be stuck in front
> of the screen watching coloured strips moving back and forth as the
> defragmentation proceeded.
>
> You could use the command prompt to defragment the drive. This will tell
> you what percentage of the drive is fragmented, but it is still extremely
> slow. You also need to use the command prompt in 'elevated' mode (click
> start>all programs>accessories. Right click command prompt and, from the
> drop down menu, click 'run as administrator')
>
> I'm not sure about the defragmenter that Pulse recommends, mainly because
> i have never used it. An excellent thrid party defragmenter (not free,
> unfortunately) is PerfectDisk. This is the defragmenter that I constantly
> use and, at least, with perfectDisk, you can 'analyse' the disk prior to
> defragmenting.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "likelylad650" <likelylad650@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Can anyone out there please tell me how I can check on the progress
>> once
>> I start a Disk Fragmenter task. With XP I could analize and decide if I
>> needed to run the task and then on screen you had a visual of the
>> progress.
>> With vista all you get is that it is running and could take from minutes
>> hours. I cannot find out how the task is progressing. Please ,Please help
>> me.
>> I cannot find the answer on the site

JerryM \(ID\)

Re: Disk Fragmenter
HaHaHa, I'm sure she means DeFragmenter.

"Abe" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >Hi Can anyone out there please tell me how I can check on the progress
> >once
>>I start a Disk Fragmenter task. With XP I could analize and decide if I
>>needed to run the task and then on screen you had a visual of the
>>progress.
>>With vista all you get is that it is running and could take from minutes
>>hours. I cannot find out how the task is progressing. Please ,Please help
>>me.
>>I cannot find the answer on the site

> Windows has a built-in disk FRAGMENTER?

vanilla

Re: Disk Fragmenter
There was no reason to correct the original post. Minor typos and misnomers
are irrelevant when context supplies the correct understanding. Curiously,
my post and the post to which I replied were snipped from your reply ... and
you did it so quickly ...

"JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
> HaHaHa, I'm sure she means DeFragmenter.
>

> "Abe" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> >Hi Can anyone out there please tell me how I can check on the progress
>> >once
>>>I start a Disk Fragmenter task. With XP I could analize and decide if I
>>>needed to run the task and then on screen you had a visual of the
>>>progress.
>>>With vista all you get is that it is running and could take from minutes
>>>hours. I cannot find out how the task is progressing. Please ,Please help
>>>me.
>>>I cannot find the answer on the site

>> Windows has a built-in disk FRAGMENTER?

Abe

Re: Disk Fragmenter
>> HaHaHa, I'm sure she means DeFragmenter.
>There was no reason to correct the original post. Minor typos and misnomers
>are irrelevant when context supplies the correct understanding. Curiously,
>my post and the post to which I replied were snipped from your reply ... and
>you did it so quickly ...

Lighten up, it was a joke.
Steve Thackery

Re: Disk Fragmenter
Best thing you can do is stop worrying about defragging. Just let Vista do
its thing once per week and it'll be fine.

Steve