Vista automatic system restore problem

Barbara92021

Vista automatic system restore problem

I recently went to set up a manual restore point and found out that my
Vista is NOT doing any restore points, at all!!! I googled this problem
and found out that, by default, Vista is supposed to be doing daily
restore points, automatically. I assumed restore points were being done
when I installed new programs! Nope! Assuming is never good!

In the System Protection, there is a checkmark beside one of the 3
available disks, the Acer (C). In the "Most recent restore point" area,
it says "None" for each of the 3 disks. To check to see if I could
manually create a restore point, I clicked on "Create a restore point"
and entered "check up on system restore". Under the "most recent restore
point", it showed today's date and the dialog box popped up to say the
creation was successful.

Because of some of the things I read in this forum's entries regarding
system restore points, I did a restart on my laptop and sure enough -
the manual restore point is GONE! There are no restore points for any of
the 3 disks, once again!

Why won't the system restore work?? What do I have to do to get this
working? My security is ShawSecure, based on f-secure and supplied by my
ISP. I am letting you know this b/c of reading how Symantec/Norton
products can mess with system restore.

In some of the other threads I read about programs interfering on
startup. I wasn't quite sure what that meant but if you need, I can give
a list of the programs starting when I turn the laptop on each morning.

I sure hope someone here can help me with this problem or steer me in
the right direction for other help.

--
Barbara92021

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit
AJR

Re: Vista automatic system restore problem
Default System Restore points are not created "daily" - if nothing has been
done to create an automatic restore point (such as installation of a
certified or digitally signed application) a "System Checkpoint" restore
point is created every 24 hours of active computer usage - in other words if
your computer is on fours a day a restore point (if none created
automatically) is created after six days.

Have you verified lack of restore points via System Restore (select System
Restore option) rather than the System Protection screen?

"Barbara92021" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I recently went to set up a manual restore point and found out that my
> Vista is NOT doing any restore points, at all!!! I googled this problem
> and found out that, by default, Vista is supposed to be doing daily
> restore points, automatically. I assumed restore points were being done
> when I installed new programs! Nope! Assuming is never good!
>
> In the System Protection, there is a checkmark beside one of the 3
> available disks, the Acer (C). In the "Most recent restore point" area,
> it says "None" for each of the 3 disks. To check to see if I could
> manually create a restore point, I clicked on "Create a restore point"
> and entered "check up on system restore". Under the "most recent restore
> point", it showed today's date and the dialog box popped up to say the
> creation was successful.
>
> Because of some of the things I read in this forum's entries regarding
> system restore points, I did a restart on my laptop and sure enough -
> the manual restore point is GONE! There are no restore points for any of
> the 3 disks, once again!
>
> Why won't the system restore work?? What do I have to do to get this
> working? My security is ShawSecure, based on f-secure and supplied by my
> ISP. I am letting you know this b/c of reading how Symantec/Norton
> products can mess with system restore.
>
> In some of the other threads I read about programs interfering on
> startup. I wasn't quite sure what that meant but if you need, I can give
> a list of the programs starting when I turn the laptop on each morning.
>
> I sure hope someone here can help me with this problem or steer me in
> the right direction for other help.
>

> --
> Barbara92021
>
> To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
> Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit

DDW

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:54:54 -0400, "AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote:

>Default System Restore points are not created "daily" - if nothing has been
>done to create an automatic restore point (such as installation of a
>certified or digitally signed application) a "System Checkpoint" restore
>point is created every 24 hours of active computer usage - in other words if
>your computer is on fours a day a restore point (if none created
>automatically) is created after six days.

Got a reputable source - i.e., a URL - for that??

I really REALLY doubt that you're right.

DDW
No email please
DDW

Re: Vista automatic system restore problem
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:54:54 -0400, "AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote:

[snip]

>point is created every 24 hours of active computer usage - in other words if
>your computer is on fours a day a restore point (if none created
>automatically) is created after six days.

Never mind looking for a cite to support that. You ARE wrong.

It's "calendar" 24 hours, not "computer-usage" 24 hours.

Google "aa939744". It's an MSDN article about system checkpoints.

DDW
No email please
SIW2

Barbara92021;873114 Wrote:
> I recently went to set up a manual restore point and found out that my
> Vista is NOT doing any restore points, at all!!! I googled this problem
> and found out that, by default, Vista is supposed to be doing daily
> restore points, automatically. I assumed restore points were being done
> when I installed new programs! Nope! Assuming is never good!
>
> In the System Protection, there is a checkmark beside one of the 3
> available disks, the Acer (C). In the "Most recent restore point" area,
> it says "None" for each of the 3 disks. To check to see if I could
> manually create a restore point, I clicked on "Create a restore point"
> and entered "check up on system restore". Under the "most recent restore
> point", it showed today's date and the dialog box popped up to say the
> creation was successful.
>
> Because of some of the things I read in this forum's entries regarding
> system restore points, I did a restart on my laptop and sure enough -
> the manual restore point is GONE! There are no restore points for any of
> the 3 disks, once again!
>
> Why won't the system restore work?? What do I have to do to get this
> working? My security is ShawSecure, based on f-secure and supplied by my
> ISP. I am letting you know this b/c of reading how Symantec/Norton
> products can mess with system restore.
>
> In some of the other threads I read about programs interfering on
> startup. I wasn't quite sure what that meant but if you need, I can give
> a list of the programs starting when I turn the laptop on each morning.
>
> I sure hope someone here can help me with this problem or steer me in
> the right direction for other help.

Hi,

Here is a tutorial about how to set the automatic restore point
schedule

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/16...-schedule.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Barbara92021

Re: Vista automatic system restore problem

*SIW2:* Thankyou for the link! It sure looks scary! So much stuff -
whatever happened to the easy system restore of WinXP??? Yikes,
Microsoft! Once again you've managed to fark up something good! So darn
many options and so much bouncing from one option to another. I will
certainly need to have total quiet around me and the ability to
concentrate! LOL I'll be back if I have trouble with this. Thanks again,
SIW2

--
Barbara92021

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit
Christine [MSFT]

RE: Vista automatic system restore problem
Hi Barbara,

Automatic restore points are indeed created every 24 hours, if there are no
other restore points created on that day (say by applications install, etc).

Most applications installed through the standard installer will
automatically create a restore point, although certainly some applications
installed through other methods might not, depending on if they implemented
the System Restore APIs. Although I doubt this is the cause of your problem
right now.

From your description that the manual restore point is gone after reboot, I
suspect that there might not be sufficient space for storing the restore
point. Can you please post the output of the following command from an
elevated command prompt?

Vssadmin list shadowstorage /for=C:

Can you also open the System Restore UI to verify that there are indeed no
restore points present?

Regards,
--
Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division

"Barbara92021" wrote:

> I recently went to set up a manual restore point and found out that my
> Vista is NOT doing any restore points, at all!!! I googled this problem
> and found out that, by default, Vista is supposed to be doing daily
> restore points, automatically. I assumed restore points were being done
> when I installed new programs! Nope! Assuming is never good!
>
> In the System Protection, there is a checkmark beside one of the 3
> available disks, the Acer (C). In the "Most recent restore point" area,
> it says "None" for each of the 3 disks. To check to see if I could
> manually create a restore point, I clicked on "Create a restore point"
> and entered "check up on system restore". Under the "most recent restore
> point", it showed today's date and the dialog box popped up to say the
> creation was successful.
>
> Because of some of the things I read in this forum's entries regarding
> system restore points, I did a restart on my laptop and sure enough -
> the manual restore point is GONE! There are no restore points for any of
> the 3 disks, once again!
>
> Why won't the system restore work?? What do I have to do to get this
> working? My security is ShawSecure, based on f-secure and supplied by my
> ISP. I am letting you know this b/c of reading how Symantec/Norton
> products can mess with system restore.
>
> In some of the other threads I read about programs interfering on
> startup. I wasn't quite sure what that meant but if you need, I can give
> a list of the programs starting when I turn the laptop on each morning.
>
> I sure hope someone here can help me with this problem or steer me in
> the right direction for other help.
>

> --
> Barbara92021
>
> To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
> Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit

JRoyce

RE: Vista automatic system restore problem
I am having the exact same problem. Vista Home Premium.

In System Protection, it shows "Local Disk (C System". The box which says
"Create restore points automatically on the selected disks" is checked.

In Scheduler, I see that the Task is triggered and completed on a regular
basis. but it only takes 20 seconds to complete. This seems too short of a
time.

In Services, I checked to see that Volume Shadow Copy was enabled and
automatic. It was running but set to "Manual", so I changed it to "Automatic"
and reooted.

If I run the command 'vssadmin list shadows', I only see two manual restore
points which I created.

This is the same result when I run "System Restore."
Christine [MSFT]

RE: Vista automatic system restore problem
Hi JRoyce,

Thanks for the information. Would you mind posting your problem to the forum
below? It's a forum specifically setup for Windows Vista/Server 2008 backup
and recovery issues and it'll be easier to get the right people who may be
able to solve this problem.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ackup/threads/

Regards,

--

"JRoyce" wrote:

> I am having the exact same problem. Vista Home Premium.
>
> In System Protection, it shows "Local Disk (C System". The box which says
> "Create restore points automatically on the selected disks" is checked.
>
> In Scheduler, I see that the Task is triggered and completed on a regular
> basis. but it only takes 20 seconds to complete. This seems too short of a
> time.
>
> In Services, I checked to see that Volume Shadow Copy was enabled and
> automatic. It was running but set to "Manual", so I changed it to "Automatic"
> and reooted.
>
> If I run the command 'vssadmin list shadows', I only see two manual restore
> points which I created.
>
> This is the same result when I run "System Restore."

lacolocho

Re: Vista automatic system restore problem

I'm having this exact same issue as well. Also Vista Home Premium.

In Task Scheduler I looked at the history and it has a large history of
creating restore points.
I tried finding system restore points with both system restore and
system protection.

--
lacolocho