No clue as to Disk Defragmenter status

Brandon Taylor

No clue as to Disk Defragmenter status
I remember that in previous versions of Windows all the way up to Windows
XP, the Disk Defragmenter would tell me exactly how much of the
defragmentation process was complete. Now, I find that Windows Vista tells
me absolutely nothing about what Disk Defragmenter is doing, apart from the
fact that the utility is in fact running. My question is, why would
Microsoft throw out such a useful feature in Disk Defragmenter, and is there
any course of action I can take regarding this dilemma?

Brandon Taylor

Dave

Re: No clue as to Disk Defragmenter status
It's designed to work in the background.
Forgetaboutit.

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I remember that in previous versions of Windows all the way up to Windows
> XP, the Disk Defragmenter would tell me exactly how much of the
> defragmentation process was complete. Now, I find that Windows Vista
> tells me absolutely nothing about what Disk Defragmenter is doing, apart
> from the fact that the utility is in fact running. My question is, why
> would Microsoft throw out such a useful feature in Disk Defragmenter, and
> is there any course of action I can take regarding this dilemma?
>
> Brandon Taylor

barman58

Brandon Taylor;872354 Wrote:
> I remember that in previous versions of Windows all the way up to
> Windows
> XP, the Disk Defragmenter would tell me exactly how much of the
> defragmentation process was complete. Now, I find that Windows Vista
> tells
> me absolutely nothing about what Disk Defragmenter is doing, apart from
> the
> fact that the utility is in fact running. My question is, why would
> Microsoft throw out such a useful feature in Disk Defragmenter, and is
> there
> any course of action I can take regarding this dilemma?
>
> Brandon Taylor

other than 3rd party options not really, there is a completion gauge in
the command line version in vista but the changes in the GUI version is
based on the fact that it is supposed to run in background and use as
few resources as possible so the "bells and Whistles" are not needed

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Rick Rogers

Re: No clue as to Disk Defragmenter status
Hi Brandon,

Every time you use the pc, you incur some measure of fragmentation. Rather
than do it wholesale and then wait for a deterioration in performance before
doing it again, the defrag routine in Vista is ongoing. By doing it this
way, it constantly works to optimize performance, employing times when the
machine isn't in use. You don't need to see it, as the level of
fragmentation is immaterial. If you really want to see a machine defrag,
then there are plenty of third party products that will turn you pc into a
display to watch while you wait for it to finish. Personally, I'd rather
just use my machine and not watch blocks move (unless I'm playing tetris).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I remember that in previous versions of Windows all the way up to Windows
>XP, the Disk Defragmenter would tell me exactly how much of the
>defragmentation process was complete. Now, I find that Windows Vista tells
>me absolutely nothing about what Disk Defragmenter is doing, apart from the
>fact that the utility is in fact running. My question is, why would
>Microsoft throw out such a useful feature in Disk Defragmenter, and is
>there any course of action I can take regarding this dilemma?
>
> Brandon Taylor

DDW

Re: No clue as to Disk Defragmenter status
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:25:49 -0500, "Brandon Taylor"
<donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I remember that in previous versions of Windows all the way up to Windows
>XP, the Disk Defragmenter would tell me exactly how much of the
>defragmentation process was complete. Now, I find that Windows Vista tells
>me absolutely nothing about what Disk Defragmenter is doing, apart from the
>fact that the utility is in fact running. My question is, why would
>Microsoft throw out such a useful feature in Disk Defragmenter, and is there
>any course of action I can take regarding this dilemma?

This question has been asked a bazillion times already.

GOT GOOGLE?

DDW
No email please
Brandon Taylor

Re: No clue as to Disk Defragmenter status
How in the world Microsoft managed to overcome the need to close all running
processes before you defragment your system is beyond me!

-- B.D.T.

"Dave" <dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
> It's designed to work in the background.
> Forgetaboutit.
>

> --
> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>

> "Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I remember that in previous versions of Windows all the way up to Windows
>> XP, the Disk Defragmenter would tell me exactly how much of the
>> defragmentation process was complete. Now, I find that Windows Vista
>> tells me absolutely nothing about what Disk Defragmenter is doing, apart
>> from the fact that the utility is in fact running. My question is, why
>> would Microsoft throw out such a useful feature in Disk Defragmenter, and
>> is there any course of action I can take regarding this dilemma?
>>
>> Brandon Taylor

barracuda

Re: No clue as to Disk Defragmenter status

Vista's defrag runs as a low priority process in the background. So, it
has no 'proper' GUI, drive map or ETA.

If you want a GUI, drive map, faster defrags, more features etc, then
you'll need to buy a commercial program such as Diskeeper 2008.

BTW, there is no need to close running processes to defrag in XP or
Vista, unlike for Win 9X. Almost all files can be defragged within
Windows itself (Diskeeper even defrags the MFT from within XP when it's
running). For defragging the paging file and some metadata, a boot-time
defrag will do the trick, and closing processes is irrelevant because
you are doing it from 'outside' Windows anyway.

--
barracuda
barracuda's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/barracuda.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

namdeo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No clue as to Disk Defragmenter status
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Taylor View Post
I remember that in previous versions of Windows all the way up to Windows
XP, the Disk Defragmenter would tell me exactly how much of the
defragmentation process was complete. Now, I find that Windows Vista tells
me absolutely nothing about what Disk Defragmenter is doing, apart from the
fact that the utility is in fact running. My question is, why would
Microsoft throw out such a useful feature in Disk Defragmenter, and is there
any course of action I can take regarding this dilemma?

Brandon Taylor
If you want an automatic defragger which also shows the defrag process, the best option in my opinion is Diskeeper 08
The Max

Re: No clue as to Disk Defragmenter status
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:27:00 +0000, namdeo
<namdeo.3i01k3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>Brandon Taylor;1054137 Wrote:
>> I remember that in previous versions of Windows all the way up to
>> Windows
>> XP, the Disk Defragmenter would tell me exactly how much of the
>> defragmentation process was complete. Now, I find that Windows Vista
>> tells
>> me absolutely nothing about what Disk Defragmenter is doing, apart from
>> the
>> fact that the utility is in fact running. My question is, why would
>> Microsoft throw out such a useful feature in Disk Defragmenter, and is
>> there
>> any course of action I can take regarding this dilemma?
>>
>> Brandon Taylor

>If you want an automatic defragger which also shows the defrag process,
>the best option in my opinion is Diskeeper 08

For a freebie that has all the pretty boxes and progress indicator
PLUS which can be run either auto or in the background while
everything else is running (just like Diskeeper), try Smart Defrag:

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

--
Max
Brandon Taylor

Re: No clue as to Disk Defragmenter status
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I think I'll stick it out with the
Windows program for now.