Microsoft PC Advisor

goorambatman

Microsoft PC Advisor
What are people's thoughts on Microsoft PC Advisor? I know it's still a Beta
but is it any good/worth having/safe/should have other features?
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Microsoft PC Advisor
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 03:09:01 -0700, goorambatman
<goorambatman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What are people's thoughts on Microsoft PC Advisor? I know it's still a Beta
> but is it any good/worth having/safe/should have other features?

I have no experience with it, and can tell you nothing about it. But
my general advice is that all beta software should be avoided. Beta
software is software with problems (if it didn't have problems, it
would be released software, not beta), and is risky to install.

PC Advisor gives you solutions to problems, and monitors and updates
settings. Personally, I would never want to trust such things to beta
software, unless I had a spare non-critical extra machine to install
it on and play with it.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Kerry Brown

Re: Microsoft PC Advisor
I agree with Ken. I install a lot of beta software, but never on a computer
I need. If you don't have a test computer set up for testing beta software
then don't install beta software.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 03:09:01 -0700, goorambatman
> <goorambatman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What are people's thoughts on Microsoft PC Advisor? I know it's still a
>> Beta
>> but is it any good/worth having/safe/should have other features?

> I have no experience with it, and can tell you nothing about it. But
> my general advice is that all beta software should be avoided. Beta
> software is software with problems (if it didn't have problems, it
> would be released software, not beta), and is risky to install.
>
> PC Advisor gives you solutions to problems, and monitors and updates
> settings. Personally, I would never want to trust such things to beta
> software, unless I had a spare non-critical extra machine to install
> it on and play with it.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Pete138

Re: Microsoft PC Advisor

I installed it on my laptop as well as my desktop pc. It works well,
fixed office problems.

--
Pete138
Pete138's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/pete138.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Microsoft PC Advisor
>I agree with Ken. I install a lot of beta software, but never on a computer
>I need. If you don't have a test computer set up for testing beta software
>then don't install beta software.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
> http://vistahelpca.blogspot.com/
>

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 03:09:01 -0700, goorambatman
>> <goorambatman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What are people's thoughts on Microsoft PC Advisor? I know it's still a
>>> Beta
>>> but is it any good/worth having/safe/should have other features?

>> I have no experience with it, and can tell you nothing about it. But
>> my general advice is that all beta software should be avoided. Beta
>> software is software with problems (if it didn't have problems, it
>> would be released software, not beta), and is risky to install.
>>
>> PC Advisor gives you solutions to problems, and monitors and updates
>> settings. Personally, I would never want to trust such things to beta
>> software, unless I had a spare non-critical extra machine to install
>> it on and play with it.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

All that it appears to do is present a central window where the user can
select the standard Vista tools. It doesn't appear to be dangerous, and
could help users who are not too good at locating anything.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

John Barnett MVP

Re: Microsoft PC Advisor
I am testing it and, so far, haven't had any problems. To be honest it is
really for the basic user. While I am testing it, it will not be a permanent
fixture on my machine when the software is finally released. One annoyance
at the moment is the fact that Microsoft PC Advisor, when first installed,
tells me that my phishing filter is turned off when, in fact, it is turned
on by default. I've gone through both Beta 1 and Beta 2 and still this
hasn't been fixed.

In the end it all depends upon whether you want to be told that your
phishing filter is actually turned off or that you haven't enabled system
restore or parental guidance features. The software suits the 'newbie' but
it certainly isn't much use to anyone with a modicum of PC knowledge

Having said that I do have to agree with both Ken and Kerry regarding the
installation of beta software. Beta software is best installed on a test
machine rather than a production machine.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org