Vista Black screen, only mouse at startup. Need to un/reinstall graphics driver

Mneh

Vista Black screen, only mouse at startup. Need to un/reinstall graphics driver

I've been searching the web for a solution for a while now, and although
it seems to be a somewhat common problem none of the solutions work for
me.

So basically I was installing new grahpics drivers from the nvidia
homepage, when the screen suddenly makes like a flicker thingy and then
switches to a black screen with a flashing white underscore.

No problems I think and reboot. But since then all I get when rebooting
is a black screen with only the mouse pointer active. No keyboard
commands work(although the sleep button works) so I can't bring up any
kind of useful window which could take me to the device manager or
something that'd allow me to fix my drivers.

ALSO I GUESS ITS WORTH NOTING THAT I HAVE TWO USERS, BUT THE BLACK
SCREEN COMES UP BEFORE I GET TO CHOSE WHICH ONE TO LOG IN WITH.
I've tried the "fix bios settings"-solution(didnt need fixing), "fix
registry"-solution(didnt need fixing) and pressing f8 and trying all
different kinds of boot options and keyboard commands. *No solutions
have given me any kind of progress.

*Also I've loaded up the Vista recovery disc.
Startup Repair says everything is fine,
I have no restore points,
*I cannot access device manager from Command Prompt ( is there a way?)

So in short:
Black screen, active mouse pointer. Need a way to access device manager
from recovery disk to fix my grahpics driver.
or another way to fix the black screen problem.
*

--
Mneh
SIW2

Re: Vista Black screen, only mouse at startup. Need to un/reinstall graphics driver

Hi,

You could try going into safe mode ( tap F8 after POST and before
Windows starts loading).

In safe mode, type msconfig into the start search box, and click it
when it pops up.

Dot Selective startup and tick System services. Click the Boot tab and
tick Base video. Apply and ok.

7552

7551

You should then restart into windows using the onboard graphics card.

Hope it helps

SIW2

|Filename: SELECTIVE STARTUP2008-09-24_193428.jpeg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=7552 |

SIW2
Mneh

Re: Vista Black screen, only mouse at startup. Need to un/reinstall graphics driver

Maybe it wasnt clear, but I cannot enter safe mode.
I've tried every possible mode using f8 and I still get the black
screen with only the mouse active.
Keyboard commands like ctrl-shift-esc, ctrl-alt-delete do not work
either.

--
Mneh
Peri

Re: Vista Black screen, only mouse at startup. Need to un/reinstall graphics driver

I have EXACTLY the same problem, Mneh. But in my case it didn't happen
installing graphic drivers, it happened when chkdsk "fixed" some weird
problems in my filesystem... in any case, did you get a solution?

Thank you.

--
Peri
Mneh

Re: Vista Black screen, only mouse at startup. Need to un/reinstall graphics driver

Sorry, my solution was to copy my important files to another disk and
reinstall windows.

I copied the files using the command prompt in the repair mode(using
the windows vista cd). I opened notedpad by simply writing notepad...

...And then clicking file-> open let me browse to the stuff I wanted to
save, ctrl-c ctrl-v did the rest.

--
Mneh
Peri

Re: Vista Black screen, only mouse at startup. Need to un/reinstall graphics driver

heh, ok, it's a pity that Repair the installation like in XP...

Probably some video files were corrupted :/

Thanks for your reply anyway

--
Peri
rccm112

Re: Vista Black screen, only mouse at startup. Need to un/reinstall graphics driver

I posted on another forum. It fixed my black screen. Maybe it will work
for you too.

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...&tf=0&pageid=3

--
rccm112
rccm112's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/rccm112.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

TashaFranklin

Re: Vista Black screen, only mouse at startup. Need to un/reinstall graphics driver

i have the sam problem but it take 45min to an hr for my laptop to load
to just the black screen, it load to ms win screen for another 45 min,
another black screen( sometime never loading past here) but get to the
point where i can choose a user proflie and 30 for that to load. i have
gotten so many msg wit eorro codes> 0x80070057,0x80070426 are the ones i
get the most and windows system fail to connect! im at the point of
sitting this thing on the side of the road! HELP ME PLEASE!!!

--
TashaFranklin
TashaFranklin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/tashafranklin.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ce/1061906.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

zeniq

Re: Vista Black screen, only mouse at startup. Need to un/reinstall graphics driver

I solved this for myself just earlier.

In my situation, I had a Dell Latitude E4200 that would boot to a black
screen with the cursor visible. Our machines require ctrl-alt-del to
logon, and doing so brought up the use agreement that we have configured
through policies, but after okaying that screen the black would
reappear. The Windows Logon User Interface Host was crashing.

Also in my situation, I was able to enter the GUI safemode. I disabled
all services, then re-enabled them in groups to determine which one was
causing the problem.

I found out it was the Smart Card service. After disabling that
everything works fine. We do not use smart cards so there is no issue
for us, so I didn't look any farther into what was actually making the
Smart Card service crash the logon host.

Hope this helps someone else.

--
zeniq
zeniq's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/zeniq.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ce/1061906.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

rshaffer4444

Re: Vista Black screen, only mouse at startup. Need to un/reinstall graphics driver

Hi,

I just now solved this problem by fluke.

I too had the black screen even when booting up in safe mode.

The problem went away when I shutdown, then inserted a USB flash drive
into an available USB port, then booted back up in normal mode.

I got the desktop back! No more black screen!

Hope this helps.

-Randy

--
rshaffer4444