Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista 64 slooow application launch

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2008
CADdaddy
 

Posts: n/a
Vista 64 slooow application launch

After the SP1 install now all application launches (MS Outlook,
browsers, all applications) can take 5-20 seconds to launch, which is
absolutely nutty! If I cycle superfetch from 3 to 0 and back to 3 the
applications will open quick (normal) for a little bit and then it
regresses back to 20 second delays.


--
CADdaddy
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2008
glatzfront
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista 64 slooow application launch

CADdaddy;870810 Wrote:
> After the SP1 install now all application launches (MS Outlook,
> browsers, all applications) can take 5-20 seconds to launch, which is
> absolutely nutty! If I cycle superfetch from 3 to 0 and back to 3 the
> applications will open quick (normal) for a little bit and then it
> regresses back to 20 second delays.


Would defragging maybe help?

Do things open Ok in safemode?

You might try the system configuration utility- selective startup to
see if you could discover any problems? Help is available in the
utility.


--
glatzfront
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2008
f/fgeorge
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista 64 slooow application launch
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:22:49 -0500, CADdaddy <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>
>After the SP1 install now all application launches (MS Outlook,
>browsers, all applications) can take 5-20 seconds to launch, which is
>absolutely nutty! If I cycle superfetch from 3 to 0 and back to 3 the
>applications will open quick (normal) for a little bit and then it
>regresses back to 20 second delays.


I am guessing you have more than 2 gig of memory in the machine? If
not upgrade!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2008
CADdaddy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista 64 slooow application launch

Thanks for the help. I Defragged a long time ago with no change.

In Safe Mode the initial launch has a slight lag (normal) and all
subsequent launches of the same app are instant. What does that mean?

I have seen the system configuration utility but I don't recall how to
get back into it. I have good knowledge of how to do things but I am
afraid I don't know what I should be looking for.

btw... I am running a laptop, 4MB RAM with Ready Boost USB drive,
purchased in July and made for Vista so there should be no conflicts.


--
CADdaddy
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2008
DDW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista 64 slooow application launch
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:11:26 GMT, f/fgeorge <ffgeorge@yourplace.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:22:49 -0500, CADdaddy <guest@unknown-email.com>
>wrote:
>
>>
>>After the SP1 install now all application launches (MS Outlook,
>>browsers, all applications) can take 5-20 seconds to launch, which is
>>absolutely nutty! If I cycle superfetch from 3 to 0 and back to 3 the
>>applications will open quick (normal) for a little bit and then it
>>regresses back to 20 second delays.

>
>I am guessing you have more than 2 gig of memory in the machine? If
>not upgrade!!!


I am guessing that you are a moron. There is no upgrade for you.

DDW
--
Reply via this group
No email please
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2008
glatzfront
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista 64 slooow application launch

CADdaddy;871146 Wrote:
> Thanks for the help. I Defragged a long time ago with no change.
>
> In Safe Mode the initial launch has a slight lag (normal) and all
> subsequent launches of the same app are instant. What does that mean?
>
> I have seen the system configuration utility but I don't recall how to
> get back into it. I have good knowledge of how to do things but I am
> afraid I don't know what I should be looking for.
>
> btw... I am running a laptop, 4MB RAM with Ready Boost USB drive,
> purchased in July and made for Vista so there should be no conflicts.



Start- run- type in _msconfig_

Read through the help, lower right, try selective startup to see if
apps open correctly. Help explains it well.


--
glatzfront
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2008
glatzfront
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista 64 slooow application launch

P.S. Disconnect from the internet before doing selective startup.


--
glatzfront
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2008
CADdaddy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista 64 slooow application launch

I did a selective startup and removed most un-needed applications. I
also disabled indexing. No change. What I did notice is that my
problem is related to the internet connection. The slow app launch is
present after being connected to the internet. The applicaitons launch
normally when I unplug the internet. Any ideas where to head next?


--
CADdaddy
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2008
Victek
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista 64 slooow application launch


"CADdaddy" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:a96e2fd57c980db22fd30633c855a450@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I did a selective startup and removed most un-needed applications. I
> also disabled indexing. No change. What I did notice is that my
> problem is related to the internet connection. The slow app launch is
> present after being connected to the internet. The applicaitons launch
> normally when I unplug the internet. Any ideas where to head next?
>
>
> --
> CADdaddy


Open the task manager and watch processes and network activity. That may
reveal the cause.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2008
glatzfront
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista 64 slooow application launch

CADdaddy;871664 Wrote:
> I did a selective startup and removed most un-needed applications. I
> also disabled indexing. No change. What I did notice is that my problem
> is related to the internet connection. The slow app launch is present
> after being connected to the internet. The applicaitons launch normally
> when I unplug the internet. Any ideas where to head next?


You might try uninstalling the network adapter driver in device manager
and let windows reinstall it upon reboot, but I'm only guessing. Someone
else may be of more help here?


--
glatzfront
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Invalid application, unable to launch Sym Addin DaveWfg microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 0 10-07-2008 20:36
Vista Quick Launch Bar Won't Launch Programs Randy microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 12-18-2007 14:44
How to Launch 'Quick Launch Bar' Apps Quicker in Vista ! WinVistaClub WinVistaClub Blog 0 12-09-2007 19:00
Article ID: 933662 Qu'une application 16 bits transmet des paramtres de ligne de commande sur un ordinateur Windows Vista-based une autre application, la deuxime application ne reoit pas les paramtres de ligne de commande KBArticles French 0 10-23-2007 20:00
Remote Desktop Vista Ultimate to Server 2003 Web SLOW OH GOD SO SLOOOW! Shannon microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 7 02-15-2007 17:34




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:03.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120