Windows Experience Index of 4.1

mspohLFC

Windows Experience Index of 4.1

I have recently added an extra 1gb of RAM to make my total RAM up to
3gb. However, the Windows Experience Index score for RAM stayed at 4.1.
Is there any reason for this or is it just Vista being stupid again?
Thanks guys.

--
mspohLFC
mspohLFC's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=735

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Experience Index of 4.1
Memory is rated on operations per second, not on capacity. You'd have to
replace existing ram with a faster speed (assuming the motherboard supports
it) to increase that factor.

Personally, I wish they'd never put that tool in there. Too many waste too
much time worrying about silly numbers.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mspohLFC" <mspohLFC.3htz42@winvistaclub.com> wrote in message

> I have recently added an extra 1gb of RAM to make my total RAM up to
> 3gb. However, the Windows Experience Index score for RAM stayed at 4.1.
> Is there any reason for this or is it just Vista being stupid again?
> Thanks guys.
>

> --
> mspohLFC
> mspohLFC's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=735
> View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25042

Mike Hall - MVP

> Memory is rated on operations per second, not on capacity. You'd have to
> replace existing ram with a faster speed (assuming the motherboard
> supports it) to increase that factor.
>
> Personally, I wish they'd never put that tool in there. Too many waste too
> much time worrying about silly numbers.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "mspohLFC" <mspohLFC.3htz42@winvistaclub.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have recently added an extra 1gb of RAM to make my total RAM up to
>> 3gb. However, the Windows Experience Index score for RAM stayed at 4.1.
>> Is there any reason for this or is it just Vista being stupid again?
>> Thanks guys.
>>

>> --
>> mspohLFC
>> mspohLFC's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=735
>> View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25042

Seconded..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Windows Experience Index of 4.1
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:16:40 +0530, mspohLFC
<mspohLFC.3htz42@winvistaclub.com> wrote:

> I have recently added an extra 1gb of RAM to make my total RAM up to
> 3gb. However, the Windows Experience Index score for RAM stayed at 4.1.
> Is there any reason for this or is it just Vista being stupid again?

The index rates the RAM's speed, not its quantity.

My view is that what the index mostly does is confuse people, and it
would have been better if it weren't there at all.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Windows Experience Index of 4.1
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 07:20:27 -0400, "Mike Hall - MVP"
<mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote:

> > Memory is rated on operations per second, not on capacity. You'd have to
> > replace existing ram with a faster speed (assuming the motherboard
> > supports it) to increase that factor.
> >
> > Personally, I wish they'd never put that tool in there. Too many waste too
> > much time worrying about silly numbers.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "mspohLFC" <mspohLFC.3htz42@winvistaclub.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I have recently added an extra 1gb of RAM to make my total RAM up to
> >> 3gb. However, the Windows Experience Index score for RAM stayed at 4.1.
> >> Is there any reason for this or is it just Vista being stupid again?
> >> Thanks guys.
> >>

> >> --
> >> mspohLFC
> >> mspohLFC's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=735
> >> View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25042
> >>

> Seconded..

Thirded. Sorry Rick, I just sent my own message saying essentially the
same thing you did, without seeing your message or Mike's.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Norman

Re: Windows Experience Index of 4.1
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 07:36:33 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:16:40 +0530, mspohLFC
><mspohLFC.3htz42@winvistaclub.com> wrote:
>

>> I have recently added an extra 1gb of RAM to make my total RAM up to
>> 3gb. However, the Windows Experience Index score for RAM stayed at 4.1.
>> Is there any reason for this or is it just Vista being stupid again?

>The index rates the RAM's speed, not its quantity.

I can vouch for that: I increased my RAM from one to three gigs and
the score went DOWN. Turns out that my mobo (it's not cutting-edge)
actually reduces the bus speed when more than 2 gigs is installed.

>My view is that what the index mostly does is confuse people, and it
>would have been better if it weren't there at all.

For SURE.

--
Norman
If people concentrated on the really
Ian D

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:16:40 +0530, mspohLFC
> <mspohLFC.3htz42@winvistaclub.com> wrote:
>

>> I have recently added an extra 1gb of RAM to make my total RAM up to
>> 3gb. However, the Windows Experience Index score for RAM stayed at 4.1.
>> Is there any reason for this or is it just Vista being stupid again?

> The index rates the RAM's speed, not its quantity.
>
> My view is that what the index mostly does is confuse people, and it
> would have been better if it weren't there at all.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Not only that, it seems to underrate high performance dual
core Xeon CPUs. I guess the Xeon's capabilities don't match
up with the algorithm Vista uses to measure CPU performance.