shadow copie, AGAIN.

menikamatii

shadow copie, AGAIN.

so i decided to reformat last night........
didnt have this problem on very first boot.
missing 45~ gb of disk space.

found the shadow copy threads

then i followed

> To see how big your shadow copy is, right click on CMD.exe in the start
> menu
> and select Run as Administrator,
> Then type: vssadmin list shadowstorage and hit Enter
> you will see how big it can get in GB's
>
> Then type: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /MaxSize=2GB
> ( the maxsize can vary up to 10 or more)and my hard disk is still the same....

my hard disk did show 500 gigs when i first got it.

even restarted and it still the same

[image: http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6...108404iq4.jpg]

system specs:
vista ultimate 6.0 build 6001
phoenix bios
intel quad q6700
4 gig ram

anyone help me out?

EDIT

also ran checkdisk, dsik defrag, disk cleanup, CCleaner....

edit 2

could this be unalocatedspace? should i install a partition manager ?

--
menikamatii
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: shadow copie, AGAIN.
"menikamatii" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> so i decided to reformat last night........
> didnt have this problem on very first boot.
> missing 45~ gb of disk space.
>
> found the shadow copy threads
>
> then i followed
>

>> To see how big your shadow copy is, right click on CMD.exe in the start
>> menu
>> and select Run as Administrator,
>> Then type: vssadmin list shadowstorage and hit Enter
>> you will see how big it can get in GB's
>>
>> Then type: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /MaxSize=2GB
>> ( the maxsize can vary up to 10 or more)and my hard disk is still the
>> same....

> my hard disk did show 500 gigs when i first got it.
>

> even restarted and it still the same
>
> [image: http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6...108404iq4.jpg]
>

> system specs:
> vista ultimate 6.0 build 6001
> phoenix bios
> intel quad q6700
> 4 gig ram
>

> anyone help me out?
>
> EDIT
>
> also ran checkdisk, dsik defrag, disk cleanup, CCleaner....
>

> edit 2
>
> could this be unalocatedspace? should i install a partition manager ?
>

> --
> menikamatii

You have 422gb free space on your hard drive!!!!

Why are you worrying about the space taken up by shadow copies which enable
the OS to recover more easily than any previous version of Windows? You are
hardly short on space even if shadow copies take up 45gb..

You should just get on with using the computer instead of worrying about
issues like this. Until your drive is within a few gb of filling up, you
have nothing to worry about..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

menikamatii

Re: shadow copie, AGAIN.

Mike Hall - MVP;869668 Wrote:
> "menikamatii" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:8a969a16a29c04863b4b72db302934b4@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > so i decided to reformat last night........
> > > didnt have this problem on very first boot.
> > > missing 45~ gb of disk space.
> > >
> > > found the shadow copy threads
> > >
> > > then i followed

> > > start

> > > /MaxSize=2GB
> > > the
> > > my hard disk did show 500 gigs when i first got it.
> > >

> > > even restarted and it still the same
> > >
> > > [image:

> > 'http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6846/32108404iq4.jpg]'
> > (http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6...8404iq4.jpg%5D)
> > >

> > > system specs:
> > > vista ultimate 6.0 build 6001
> > > phoenix bios
> > > intel quad q6700
> > > 4 gig ram
> > >

> > > anyone help me out?
> > >
> > > EDIT
> > >
> > > also ran checkdisk, dsik defrag, disk cleanup, CCleaner....
> > >

> > > edit 2
> > >
> > > could this be unalocatedspace? should i install a partition

> > manager ?
> > >

> > > --
> > > menikamatii > >

> You have 422gb free space on your hard drive!!!!
>
> Why are you worrying about the space taken up by shadow copies which
> enable
> the OS to recover more easily than any previous version of Windows?
> You are
> hardly short on space even if shadow copies take up 45gb..
>
> You should just get on with using the computer instead of worrying
> about
> issues like this. Until your drive is within a few gb of filling up,
> you
> have nothing to worry about..
>

> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> 'Help US help YOU - Making good newsgroup posts:'
> (http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm)
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> 'How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc)
> Mike's Window - My Blog..
> 'Mike's Window' (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx)

i jsut formmated, and noticed the 45 gigs. once i have everything
reinstalled its close to being used.

alls i did was ask for help

> Mike Hall - MVP;869668 Wrote:
>> "menikamatii" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:8a969a16a29c04863b4b72db302934b4@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >

>> > 'http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6846/32108404iq4.jpg]'
>> > (http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6...8404iq4.jpg%5D)

>> > manager ?

>> You have 422gb free space on your hard drive!!!!
>>
>> Why are you worrying about the space taken up by shadow copies which
>> enable
>> the OS to recover more easily than any previous version of Windows?
>> You are
>> hardly short on space even if shadow copies take up 45gb..
>>
>> You should just get on with using the computer instead of worrying
>> about
>> issues like this. Until your drive is within a few gb of filling up,
>> you
>> have nothing to worry about..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> How to construct a good post..
>> 'Help US help YOU - Making good newsgroup posts:'
>> (http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm)
>> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
>> 'How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups'
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc)
>> Mike's Window - My Blog..
>> 'Mike's Window' (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx)

> i jsut formmated, and noticed the 45 gigs. once i have everything
> reinstalled its close to being used.
>
> alls i did was ask for help
>

> --
> menikamatii

You have enough to install that will fill 422gb?

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Paul Smith

Re: shadow copie, AGAIN.
"menikamatii" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> so i decided to reformat last night........
> didnt have this problem on very first boot.
> missing 45~ gb of disk space.

I assume you mean you have a 500GB drive, but the computer only sees 465GB.

This is normal, hard disk manufactures measure 1000 bytes as 1 kilobyte.
While an actual computer, which is binary, will measure 1024 bytes as a
kilobyte, and so on up to megabytes, gigabytes etc.

Number of bytes on hard disk: 500,000,000,000. Divide that by 1000 3 times
and you get 500GB, the computer will divide by 1024 3 times, which is about
465GB.

So that is completely normal. I wish hard disk manufacturers wouldn't do
that, but they've been doing it for years.

If you're referring to the computer using up the 40GB of so space, well
that's not unusual for an install of Windows with a bunch of programs and
data on top.

> found the shadow copy threads

Not related to shadow copies at all. Your screenshot below shows shadow
copies only using 88MB of space, with 2.93GB allocated, which is allowed to
grow to a total size of 70GB (15% of the drive).

> [image: http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6...108404iq4.jpg]

> could this be unalocatedspace? should i install a partition manager ?

I doubt it, and no. Windows Vista has built in partitioning tools under
Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. But this
isn't anything related to partitioning.

Nothing to worry about.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

menikamatii

Re: shadow copie, AGAIN.

Mike Hall - MVP;869928 Wrote:
> "menikamatii" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:ddd8820b978cdc41bfeff730774e315f@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >

> > > (http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm))
> > > (http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc))
> > > (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx))> > > > >
> > >
> > > i jsut formmated, and noticed the 45 gigs. once i have everything
> > > reinstalled its close to being used.
> > >
> > > alls i did was ask for help
> > >

> > > --
> > > menikamatii > >

> You have enough to install that will fill 422gb?
>

> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> 'Help US help YOU - Making good newsgroup posts:'
> (http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm)
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> 'How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc)
> Mike's Window - My Blog..
> 'Mike's Window' (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx)

ok nevermind ill find a different forum.

--
menikamatii
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: shadow copie, AGAIN.
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 00:48:40 -0500, menikamatii
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

> so i decided to reformat last night........
> didnt have this problem on very first boot.
> missing 45~ gb of disk space.

> my hard disk did show 500 gigs when i first got it.

Are you saying that you have what's supposed to be a 500GB drive, but
it apparently has only about 455GB that you can see?

If so, note that all hard drive manufacturers define 1GB as
1,000,000,000 bytes, while the rest of the computer world, including
Windows, defines it as 2 to the 30th power (1,073,741,824) bytes. So
what was sold to you as a 500GB is actually a 500 billion byte drive,
and that is roughly about 465GB.

Some people point out that the official international standard defines
the "G" of GB as one billion, not 1,073,741,824. Correct though they
are, using the binary value of GB is so well established in the
computer world that I consider using the decimal value of a billion to
be deceptive marketing.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
DDW

Re: shadow copie, AGAIN.
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:36:39 -0500, menikamatii
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>ok nevermind ill find a different forum.

You are experiencing Mike's "broomstick up his butt" personality.

It seems to be gaining dominance.

DDW
No email please
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: shadow copie, AGAIN.
"DDW" <dd.wright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:36:39 -0500, menikamatii
> <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
>
>>ok nevermind ill find a different forum.

> You are experiencing Mike's "broomstick up his butt" personality.
>
> It seems to be gaining dominance.
>
> DDW
> No email please

Your baiting will not work..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

DDW

Re: shadow copie, AGAIN.
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:23:36 -0400, "Mike Hall - MVP"
<mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote:

>> You are experiencing Mike's "broomstick up his butt" personality.
>>
>> It seems to be gaining dominance.
>>
>> DDW
>> No email please

>Your baiting will not work..

Whose baiting!? I'm presenting the facts as I see them to someone who
thought you were being an a**hole - which you were.

DDW
No email please