Where do these processes start from?

Bob

Where do these processes start from?
Where do I find these start-up processes that are not in start menu start up
folder and in start up in msconfig?

At computer boot up or computer restart, entire or partial applications or
utilities or processes (I do not know the proper term) that are user
installed start up. Some are irritating or unwanted at start up and I want
to start them only when I want to use them. Most of the time it is partial
elements of user-installed software that starts at start up and run in the
background invisible to me and use computer resources. (Why can't those
elements start only when I start the application and stop at close of
application when I am done using it?)

I have looked in the start menu start up folder and in start up in msconfig.
The ones that I saw I shut down successfully. No problems using the
software doing this. Why I am posting this is I have discovered that there
are still things running in the background I do not know about. Where Do I
look for these?

An example of this is apple quick time player. I only use it occasionally
(once every two months). I get a pop up that an update is available along
with a bunch of other junk they want me to install. Where did that come
from? Some little process is running that is constantly monitoring for
updates. It is not in start menu start up folder and in start up in
msconfig. Where is the start up of this hiding so I can prevent it from
running at start up? Are there other things that I installed to use
occasionally that unknown to me are hiding and running all the time and not
in start menu start up folder and in start up in msconfig? Where do I find
it? I just uninstalled apple quick time player.

I emailed Acronis backup about start up. They said the two startup files
are required or the application does not run. If I knew this I would not
have purchased it. They said it is so small not to worry about it. That
"Its so small don't worry about it" excuse drives me nuts. The assumption
of these software developers is their glorious wonderful solve-all-problems
application is the only software I will run and have on computer. I have
lots of stuff on my computer and if every one enters something in memory I
will have lots of processes running needlessly. All that adds up and all my
memory is used up. On top of that it is not in start menu start up folder
and in start up in msconfig so I can't stop it because it is hidden and I
can't find the start up part.

Where do I find these start-up processes that are not in start menu start up
folder and in start up in msconfig?

Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger than
I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008 running
32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP1 box. I check for MS auto updates very
frequently. I think it has onboard shared memory for video and sound. I
use Quest DSL 1.5mb service with modem direct to computer. No switches or
routers or wireless or any other networking hardware.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

RobinL

Re: Where do these processes start from?
"Bob" <bobbREMOVE-CAPSus99@CAPSyaREMOVE-CAPShoo.com> wrote:

>Where do I find these start-up processes that are not in start menu start up
>folder and in start up in msconfig?

In Control Panel Classic - Administrative Tools - Services.

Or: click start orb, type services.msc in the "start search" area

For guidance about what you can stop/disable:

http://www.blackviper.com/

You're on your own from this point on. Be careful
Kerry Brown

Re: Where do these processes start from?
Try the AutoRuns Utility.

Be careful with it. Do not delete anything unless you are sure what it is
and why you want to delete it.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Bob" <bobbREMOVE-CAPSus99@CAPSyaREMOVE-CAPShoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> something in memory I will have lots of processes running needlessly. All
> that adds up and all my memory is used up. On top of that it is not in
> start menu start up folder and in start up in msconfig so I can't stop it
> because it is hidden and I can't find the start up part.
>
> Where do I find these start-up processes that are not in start menu start
> up folder and in start up in msconfig?
>
> Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger
> than I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008
> running 32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP1 box. I check for MS auto updates
> very frequently. I think it has onboard shared memory for video and
> sound. I use Quest DSL 1.5mb service with modem direct to computer. No
> switches or routers or wireless or any other networking hardware.

SIW2

Bob;868541 Wrote:
> [...]
> memory is used up. On top of that it is not in start menu start up
> folder
> and in start up in msconfig so I can't stop it because it is hidden and
> can't find the start up part.
>
> Where do I find these start-up processes that are not in start menu
> start up
> folder and in start up in msconfig?
>
> Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger
> than
> I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008
> running
> 32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP1 box. I check for MS auto updates very
> frequently. I think it has onboard shared memory for video and sound.
> use Quest DSL 1.5mb service with modem direct to computer. No switches
> or
> routers or wireless or any other networking hardware.

Hi Bob,

You will usually find that if you open these 3rd party programs they
will have a properties/settings/options tab - look under that and
deselect run at startup, or check for updates at system startup, etc.

Hope that helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
AJR

Re: Where do these processes start from?
Bob - You need to "shorten" any posts in the future. I would say that you
are flirting with disaster - in what way is you compter malfunctioning that
requires such acxtion - for instance the OS will automatically restart items
you shut down.

Regarding "...I emailed Acronis backup about start up. They said the two
startup files are required or the application does not run. If I knew this
I would not have purchased it...."

If this is your position there are going to be many applications you will
not purchase - How do you instend to protect your data and programs without
suitable backup (Acronis or your choice) - I take it you are "shutting" down
antivirus/malware/spyware auto updates?

> [...]
> something in memory I will have lots of processes running needlessly. All
> that adds up and all my memory is used up. On top of that it is not in
> start menu start up folder and in start up in msconfig so I can't stop it
> because it is hidden and I can't find the start up part.
>
> Where do I find these start-up processes that are not in start menu start
> up folder and in start up in msconfig?
>
> Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger
> than I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008
> running 32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP1 box. I check for MS auto updates
> very frequently. I think it has onboard shared memory for video and
> sound. I use Quest DSL 1.5mb service with modem direct to computer. No
> switches or routers or wireless or any other networking hardware.

Bob

Thank You - Re: Where do these processes start from?
Thank you all for the info. You have given me a lot to work on but I will
try it. It will take me a while to do all your suggestions

Thanks again for your service.

Bob

> [...]
> something in memory I will have lots of processes running needlessly. All
> that adds up and all my memory is used up. On top of that it is not in
> start menu start up folder and in start up in msconfig so I can't stop it
> because it is hidden and I can't find the start up part.
>
> Where do I find these start-up processes that are not in start menu start
> up folder and in start up in msconfig?
>
> Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger
> than I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008
> running 32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP1 box. I check for MS auto updates
> very frequently. I think it has onboard shared memory for video and
> sound. I use Quest DSL 1.5mb service with modem direct to computer. No
> switches or routers or wireless or any other networking hardware.

Bob

Re: Where do these processes start from?
AJR
I am new to TradeStation and everyone in the TS forums is adamant that one
writes code to lessen CPU load. I am novice at writing code so I need all
the horsepower I can get out of my memory and CPU and HD. I am not advanced
enough to write code in a CPU load efficient way. The "optimization" tool
is especially useful and especially memory/CPU intensive. I do not know why
it is such a sin to have code that has heavy CPU load.

I shut down the processes I did not want using msconfig "selective start-up".
Vista keeps it shut down. I run the applications when I need it(rarely).
And it works fine.

I do not do anything with Vista OS processes or security software
processes. You asked if my computer is malfunctioning because of these
things. I think so. My computer seems much slower than when I got it in
February. I right-click to rename a file or properties etc. and it takes
forever to give me the right-click menu. I start MS word or Windows mail
and it take twice as long (at least) to start up. I try to keep my computer
all maintenanced with updates and registry scanned with Ccleaner. I use AVG
free virus/spyware & comodo spyware & spyware S&D & Adaware. I use vista
firewall.

Any suggestions to keeping my computer efficient and fixing these lags that
I mentioned?

Bob