Memory Diagnostic Tool

vegaspat

Memory Diagnostic Tool

I just spent an hour or more trying to run the Memory Diagnostic test
with no luck at all. I even dug out the OS disc and could not get the
option to run the memory test. When I did it per the article I had read
I continued to get a black screen saying the "Selected entry was not
located because the application is missing or corrupt.

Is this tool not included with Vista Home Premium by default?

I even ran a System Recovery and Repair. I did everything except
install the entire OS because this seems to be the only thing missing.

The error message I get suggests the memtest.exe is missing or corrupt.
If it was corrupt the repair should have taken care of it?

I did see a suggestion to download the file from the Microsoft site but
hesitated running it if it was not necessary or could cause a problem.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

--
vegaspat
SIW2

Re: Memory Diagnostic Tool

Hi,

It should be under C:\Windows\system32

You can find it by typing MdSched.exe into the start menu search box.

You can also find it by clicking Start>All Programs>Administrative
Tools ( if you have set your start menu to display Admin. Tools )

Let us know if you find it or not.

SIW2

--
SIW2
vegaspat

Re: Memory Diagnostic Tool

I originally did the Administrative Tools option. That did not work.

I did find the file, MdSched.exe, and hoped that would work when I
clicked on it. Nope---- received the same old messages and routine.

The only thing solved is the file is NOT missing as suggested from the
"black screen". So I suppose that means the file is corrupted?

I have already tried inserting the original disc and choosing the
Repair option and apparently this does not fix the file if it's
corrupted.

Don't know what to do next.

I could have sworn that I used the Tools option before but maybe not.

Hi,

It should be under C:\Windows\system32

You can find it by typing MdSched.exe into the start menu search box.

You can also find it by clicking Start>All Programs>Administrative
Tools ( if you have set your start menu to display Admin. Tools )

--
vegaspat
SIW2

Re: Memory Diagnostic Tool

Hi,

If you have the MS dvd you could do a repair install , which replaces
all the operating system files

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Not sure what corrupted the file in the first place. It's worth doing a
scan before the repair install with the free

'Malwarebytes.org' (http://www.malwarebytes.org).

Hope that helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
vegaspat

Re: Memory Diagnostic Tool

I tried the MS DVD Repair option with no luck. I also have a recovery
partition and tried to repair from there also.

I read the tutorial suggested and it suggests that since I now have SP1
installed I may not be able to use the repair function now?

I ran Malwarebytes several weeks ago but will run it again.

Can I download the file from Microsoft or somewhere and install it
here?

--
vegaspat
SIW2

Re: Memory Diagnostic Tool

Hi,

You could try the following tutorial which may repair the file
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...c-command.html

Siw2

--
SIW2
vegaspat

Re: Memory Diagnostic Tool

Okay, I did the SFC checker with no luck AGAIN.

But that leads to two more questions which I will post in another
thread.

I will now try to install the file you furnished. Hope it works.

Thanks. I'll let you know.

--
vegaspat
vegaspat

Re: Memory Diagnostic Tool

I've been reading all this stuff and now have a headache. <G> Pretty
scary.

One more question before I take the plunge.

I am using Vista 32 bit. Is that okay?

--
vegaspat
SIW2

Re: Memory Diagnostic Tool

Hi,

Can never guarantee anything will work , if not, just replace them with
your original files.

Your next option would be to reinstall Vista if the missing/ corrupt
files are causing problems

You said you tried the MS dvd repair option - and you saw the the
Repair install ? This will replace all your system files - you actually
do an upgrade install from within Windows - it should not affect your
own files and programs - take a close look at the tutorial

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

You would need to create a slipstreamed SP1 dvd to do this

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...ation-dvd.html

Or you could do a clean install with your existing dvd (and then need
to get the SP1 updates ) , or do the slipstream to create a new install
dvd including SP1 then do the clean install.

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
vegaspat

Re: Memory Diagnostic Tool

Thanks so much for sticking in there.

I read the tutorial and simply don't have the guts to try any of it.
Too much I just don't understand and the way I am I may end up with
more problems than just not being able to run the Memory Diagnostic
Tool.

I started out thinking this was a simple thing to run but after
spending hours reading and experimenting and since I'm not having any
memory problems I'm going to quit trying to accomplish this feat.

I will check the Microsoft site just in case they have something that
might suggest something I can handle. Or perhaps there's a program
somewhere that would accomplish the same thing.

Thanks again.

--
vegaspat