Striping vs spanning volume

Just FYI

Re: Striping vs spanning volume
Yes, Striped is RAID 0. No backup, it's for increased performance. Just
think RAID 0 = zero backup.

Spanning is mirroring. You get a constant backup for fault tolerance.

See this page for the full story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

"Luca" <Luca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Which is th difference between a striping volume and a spanning volume?
>
> talking about 2 hds, from what I have learned,
>
> - striping: a file is divided into stripes and stripes are written
> across
> the 2 disk.
>
> if ONE disk is damaged I will loose all files.
>
> - spanning: a file is written in one disk only
>
> if ONE disk is damaged I will loose the files on that disk only
>
> Isn't it )

=?Utf-8?B?THVjYQ==?=

Re: Striping vs spanning volume
Great, thanks!

Another question.

I just tried to create a spanning volume (vista HOME PREMIUM).
I have the empty disks, 1 and 2, no partition (so releys on disk 0).

- right click on empty space on disk 1
- new spanning volume (next)
- i select both disk 1 ad disk 2 (next )
- assign letter, (next) ntfs format (next)
- confirm to change from basic to dynamic disk, yes

ERROR: INVALID OPERATION
Invalid parameters or invalid objects
Check guide

(translated from italian)

no other info .....

I wonder why.... what could I check ?

First of all ... will I be able to create spanning (or striping) disks under
vista HOME PREMIUM ?!

Many thanks.

Robert Moir

Re: Striping vs spanning volume

"Luca" <Luca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Which is th difference between a striping volume and a spanning volume?
>
> talking about 2 hds, from what I have learned,
>
> - striping: a file is divided into stripes and stripes are written
> across
> the 2 disk.
>
> if ONE disk is damaged I will loose all files.

Yes. You're talking about RAID 0 here. You can use RAID 3 or RAID 5
striping, which allows one disk to fail without losing data.

> - spanning: a file is written in one disk only
>
> if ONE disk is damaged I will loose the files on that disk only

No. You'll probably lose all your files. When a volume SPANS two disks, the
volume combines part (or all) of two disks to make one drive, without
actually striping the data as such. While the files will still logically be
on the undamaged disk if the other one fails, the volume will be destroyed
and you won't be able to access the data (at least not without expensive
data recovery tools).

Microsoft clearly document this:

If you wish to use either of these methods to store data, then make sure you
either have a very good backup solution or that you really don't care if all
the data on the striped or spanned disk vanishes.

--
Robert Moir
http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com

Robert Moir

"Just FYI" <nothanks@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Yes, Striped is RAID 0. No backup, it's for increased performance. Just
> think RAID 0 = zero backup.
>
> Spanning is mirroring. You get a constant backup for fault tolerance.

Are you sure? Mirroring is mirroring. Spanning is creating a logical volume
that extends across more than one physical disk. As far as fault tolerance
goes, Spanning is only marginally better than printing all your data to
paper, destroying the magnetic copies and keeping your freshly printed paper
in a garage with leaky gas cans, firewood and matches.