Vista insomnia

=?Utf-8?B?Z3B6YmM=?=

Vista insomnia
I scanned the forum and didn't see a problem quite like mine. My laptop
will sleep fine when I tell it to. It stays asleep and wakes fine. The
problem is that it doesn't always enter sleep mode automatically as I
specified in the power settings. Any ideas? Thank you!
Lee

Re: Vista insomnia

"gpzbc" <gpzbc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I scanned the forum and didn't see a problem quite like mine. My laptop
> will sleep fine when I tell it to. It stays asleep and wakes fine. The
> problem is that it doesn't always enter sleep mode automatically as I
> specified in the power settings. Any ideas? Thank you!

Wireless USB mouse?

=?Utf-8?B?Z3B6YmM=?=

Re: Vista insomnia
nope, no usb devices. And I went through and checked all of the settings in
the device manager to make sure that nothing besides the keyboard can wake it
up.

=?Utf-8?B?Z3B6YmM=?=

Re: Vista insomnia
Does anyone think it could be one of the sidebar gadgets?
=?Utf-8?B?Z3B6YmM=?=

Re: Vista insomnia
Well I have made progress in figuring this out. I closed the sidebar and
set the power saving settings to happen sooner. My screen saver comes on
okay. But at ten minutes when the monitor is supposed to shut off, it
flickers back to my desktop screen and starts the process over. So it never
makes it to the point of sleep. Any ideas on how to fix this??

=?Utf-8?B?Z3B6YmM=?=

Re: Vista insomnia
update!

I have figured out that it will shut off the monitor and sleep as long as it
is not doing it from the screen saver. If I set the power saver options to
happen before the screen saver, it works. I can disable the screen saver for
now, but any ideas?

Please Help! Thank you.
Victek

> update!
>
> I have figured out that it will shut off the monitor and sleep as long as
> it
> is not doing it from the screen saver. If I set the power saver options
> happen before the screen saver, it works. I can disable the screen saver
> for
> now, but any ideas?
>
> Please Help! Thank you.

Try it with a different screensaver.

=?Utf-8?B?Z3B6YmM=?=

Re: Vista insomnia
I have tried it with the Windows logo and also the Aurora and neither of them
allowed the computer to sleep or turn off the monitor. I haven't tried any
other ones. Perhaps I will. I just assumed that if one or two didn't work
then none would work.

>I have tried it with the Windows logo and also the Aurora and neither of
>them
> allowed the computer to sleep or turn off the monitor. I haven't tried
> any
> other ones. Perhaps I will. I just assumed that if one or two didn't
> work
> then none would work.

I suggested it because some folks were having the problem only with the
Photo screensaver, but many are having it with all screensavers as
apparently are you. Some people recommend trying a different video driver,
but this doesn't seem to be a consistent fix. If you Google "screensaver
sleep" and limit the search to Microsoft vista groups you will see all the
threads.

=?Utf-8?B?Z3B6YmM=?=

Re: Vista insomnia
I guess I will just have to wait for a fix. In the meantime, I am probably
saving more power by not enabling the screen saver and having it go directly
to sleep or to turn off the monitor.