Virus or What?

Vista Not Vista Anymore

Virus or What?
my dell laptop with vista has recently begun working poorly. the email and
internet now take 60-90 seconds to respond to open, the computer seems to
freeze often, and the mcafee security center seems to turn off (by itself)
and then has to "fix" the "computer and files" and "email and im" portions.

i have tried to return to an earlier registry. i've done all the scans,
reinstalled mcafee 3 times, and still the problems persist. it's like my
computer has been infected by something slowing it down, stopping it from
responding to commands promptly, and occasionally interfering with the mcafee
operation (since i have to keep fixing the security center). i did the
mcafee virtual tech and fixed all the problems it identified. i've updated
all the downloads for windows and mcafee.
i've run out of ideas. i have no clue what the problem is or how to fix it.

Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone help?
Malke

Re: Virus or What?
Vista Not Vista Anymore wrote:

> my dell laptop with vista has recently begun working poorly. the email
> and internet now take 60-90 seconds to respond to open, the computer seems
> to freeze often, and the mcafee security center seems to turn off (by
> itself) and then has to "fix" the "computer and files" and "email and im"
> portions.
>
> i have tried to return to an earlier registry. i've done all the scans,
> reinstalled mcafee 3 times, and still the problems persist. it's like my
> computer has been infected by something slowing it down, stopping it from
> responding to commands promptly, and occasionally interfering with the
> mcafee
> operation (since i have to keep fixing the security center). i did the
> mcafee virtual tech and fixed all the problems it identified. i've
> updated all the downloads for windows and mcafee.
> i've run out of ideas. i have no clue what the problem is or how to fix
> it.
>
> Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone help?

Aside from telling you that McAfee is garbage and suggesting you install
something better (NOD32, Kaspersky, or even Avast if you want a free one),
there is no way I can tell you if your computer is infected from what
you've written.

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://tinyurl.com/yoeru3 - download link and more instructions

When all else fails, get guided help. Choose one of the specialty forums
listed at the first link. Register and read its posting FAQ. PLEASE DO NOT
POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these are
just suggestions based on many years of being a professional computer tech;
suggestions based on what you've written. You should not take my
suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. If you can't do the work yourself
(and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea), take the
machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent
of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be
so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. If possible, have
all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Ralph

Re: Virus or What?
I see a clue in the internet activity.

I'd suggest some research into startup programs, and Internet Explorer
add-ons.
Clean out as many startup programs as possible, and reset your IE to factory
defaults, disabling all add-ons to see if they may be interfering.
I'd also remove any toolbars that may have been added since purchasse.

That should give a good starting point.

With McAfee running successfully, I'd doubt an infection, but I personally
don't like it for the amount of resources it takes, and the cost.

If you'd like to be doubly sure, download Superantispyware for a temparary
scan, disable McAfee, run the "super", remove it, and go back to McAfee for
your contract.