Free Defragger

news.microsoft.com

Free Defragger
Can someone recommend a good FREE defragger that shows the process as it did
in W98 and XP? I can't stand having no damn idea how long it will take when
I have other things to do. Why the hell was it changed so no one has a clue
how fragmented the drive is or how long it will take?

Robert Maskill

Re: Free Defragger
news.microsoft.com wrote:
> Can someone recommend a good FREE defragger that shows the process as it
> did in W98 and XP? I can't stand having no damn idea how long it will
> take when I have other things to do. Why the hell was it changed so no
> one has a clue how fragmented the drive is or how long it will take?

Try this one...

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag

Robert Maskill - G4PYR - Peterborough Cambridgeshire
MF Coastal Radio www.coastalradio.org.uk
Orton info community web site www.ortoninfo.co.uk
Nene Valley Railway Pictures www.nvrpics.org.uk/
Larry

Re: Free Defragger
This one is a good one. Optimizes as well as defrags.
http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/

Larry

"news.microsoft.com" <none@nospam.net> wrote in message
Can someone recommend a good FREE defragger that shows the process as it did
in W98 and XP? I can't stand having no damn idea how long it will take when
I have other things to do. Why the hell was it changed so no one has a clue
how fragmented the drive is or how long it will take?

Richard Urban

Re: Free Defragger
The whole idea behind the Vista defragmenter is it works in the background
and you ***don't*** have to be concerned about it. And I see no reason why
you can not keep working with your customers. The Vista defragmenter will
not prevent you from doing so.

Years ago there was NO defragmenter in Windows and people did not have this
preoccupation with watching blocks move around.

You will get no better performance out of your computer by using a 3rd party
defragmenter than you will by allowing the Vista defragmenter to do its
thing!

Chill a bit and just use your computer.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Richard Urban wrote:
> The whole idea behind the Vista defragmenter is it works in the
> background and you ***don't*** have to be concerned about it. And I see
> no reason why you can not keep working with your customers. The Vista
> defragmenter will not prevent you from doing so.
>
> Years ago there was NO defragmenter in Windows and people did not have
> this preoccupation with watching blocks move around.
>
> You will get no better performance out of your computer by using a 3rd
> party defragmenter than you will by allowing the Vista defragmenter to
> do its thing!
>
> Chill a bit and just use your computer.

I can't say I disagree with the above, I do my main business machine
once a month overnight and I must admit I rarely can tell much if any
difference in the perceived performance before and after

--
Robert Maskill - G4PYR - Peterborough Cambridgeshire
MF Coastal Radio www.coastalradio.org.uk
Orton info community web site www.ortoninfo.co.uk
Nene Valley Railway Pictures www.nvrpics.org.uk/
Rick Rogers

Re: Free Defragger
Hi,

Just to add what others have said, defrag in Vista is an ongoing process. It
doesn't end, but rather constantly works to keep the system in top shape. It
runs as a low priority task so as not to interfere with the system usage. If
you use a third party program and let it run complete, then first you aren't
using the system for what you bought it for, and second the minute you begin
using it you will be re-fragmenting the system until you decide to manually
run it again.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"news.microsoft.com" <none@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Can someone recommend a good FREE defragger that shows the process as it
> did in W98 and XP? I can't stand having no damn idea how long it will
> take when I have other things to do. Why the hell was it changed so no one
> has a clue how fragmented the drive is or how long it will take?

Non Sequitur!

Re: Free Defragger
I have the defrag service running, but I don't leave the computer on at
night if its not doing something.
The result is that I actually use the computer when its on (dahhhh) and the
defrag doesn't have much time to kick in...

The drives are constantly fragmented unless I do a manual defrag.

I also have lot of file traffic (programs files and downloads)

sorry but like almost every stupid innovation of vista, this sucks

> The whole idea behind the Vista defragmenter is it works in the background
> and you ***don't*** have to be concerned about it. And I see no reason why
> you can not keep working with your customers. The Vista defragmenter will
> not prevent you from doing so.
>
> Years ago there was NO defragmenter in Windows and people did not have
> this preoccupation with watching blocks move around.
>
> You will get no better performance out of your computer by using a 3rd
> party defragmenter than you will by allowing the Vista defragmenter to do
> its thing!
>
> Chill a bit and just use your computer.
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>

> "news.microsoft.com" <none@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Can someone recommend a good FREE defragger that shows the process as it
>> did in W98 and XP? I can't stand having no damn idea how long it will
>> take when I have other things to do. Why the hell was it changed so no
>> one has a clue how fragmented the drive is or how long it will take?

Non Sequitur!

Re: Free Defragger
I have the defrag service running, but I don't leave the computer on at
night if its not doing something.
The result is that I actually use the computer when its on (dahhhh) and the
defrag doesn't have much time to kick in...

The drives are constantly fragmented unless I do a manual defrag.

I also have lot of file traffic (programs files and downloads)

sorry but like almost every stupid innovation of vista, this sucks

Vista should have had a good manual defrag with visual feedback.. hey XP had
that! lol

> Hi,
>
> Just to add what others have said, defrag in Vista is an ongoing process.
> It doesn't end, but rather constantly works to keep the system in top
> shape. It runs as a low priority task so as not to interfere with the
> system usage. If you use a third party program and let it run complete,
> then first you aren't using the system for what you bought it for, and
> second the minute you begin using it you will be re-fragmenting the system
> until you decide to manually run it again.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "news.microsoft.com" <none@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Can someone recommend a good FREE defragger that shows the process as it
>> did in W98 and XP? I can't stand having no damn idea how long it will
>> take when I have other things to do. Why the hell was it changed so no
>> one has a clue how fragmented the drive is or how long it will take?

Richard Urban

Re: Free Defragger
You're so busy using your computer that you have time to watch the nice
visual feedback while it defrags for 5-10 minutes. I guess you aren't
**really** using your computer when it is on!

Which is it - you have time to watch - and therefore are not really using
your computer OR you are using your computer and you allow the Vista defrag
to do its thing whenever?

--

"Non Sequitur!" <only@rret.com> wrote in message
>I have the defrag service running, but I don't leave the computer on at
> night if its not doing something.
> The result is that I actually use the computer when its on (dahhhh) and
> the
> defrag doesn't have much time to kick in...
>
> The drives are constantly fragmented unless I do a manual defrag.
>
> I also have lot of file traffic (programs files and downloads)
>
> sorry but like almost every stupid innovation of vista, this sucks
>
> Vista should have had a good manual defrag with visual feedback.. hey XP
> had that! lol

>> Hi,
>>
>> Just to add what others have said, defrag in Vista is an ongoing process.
>> It doesn't end, but rather constantly works to keep the system in top
>> shape. It runs as a low priority task so as not to interfere with the
>> system usage. If you use a third party program and let it run complete,
>> then first you aren't using the system for what you bought it for, and
>> second the minute you begin using it you will be re-fragmenting the
>> system until you decide to manually run it again.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "news.microsoft.com" <none@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> Can someone recommend a good FREE defragger that shows the process as it
>>> did in W98 and XP? I can't stand having no damn idea how long it will
>>> take when I have other things to do. Why the hell was it changed so no
>>> one has a clue how fragmented the drive is or how long it will take?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Free Defragger
The Vista disk defragmenter works in the background to save you the trouble
of watching it defragment. However, if you really want to see what is going
on Auslogic Disk Defrag is probably one of the better disk defragmenters.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org