Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2008
news.microsoft.com
 

Posts: n/a
How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off?
How do I stop the power saver feature from shutting off my monitor and
computer before it finishes defragging? Why is everything moved and renamed?
I right-click on desktop and properties is no longer there. I don't want my
PC shutting off when it's defragging or I have to work with a client or be
on the phone. The frustration doesn't end.....

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2008
Richard Urban
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off?
What did you do when you were in Windows XP? You went to desktop
"properties", right? What did you do there? You were allowed to
"personalize" your computer functions!

What is in Vista when you right click on the desktop?

PERSONALIZE

Use it to do what you want to do. Don't be afraid to explore a bit.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience


"news.microsoft.com" <none@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:emrtqW1LJHA.740@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> How do I stop the power saver feature from shutting off my monitor and
> computer before it finishes defragging? Why is everything moved and
> renamed? I right-click on desktop and properties is no longer there. I
> don't want my PC shutting off when it's defragging or I have to work with
> a client or be on the phone. The frustration doesn't end.....


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2008
barman58
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off?

news.microsoft.com;862226 Wrote:
> How do I stop the power saver feature from shutting off my monitor and
> computer before it finishes defragging? Why is everything moved and
> renamed?
> I right-click on desktop and properties is no longer there. I don't
> want my
> PC shutting off when it's defragging or I have to work with a client or
> be
> on the phone. The frustration doesn't end.....



If you click on the start orb type "power" and run "Power Options"
options that appears you can then edit the power options for the Power
Scheme in use using the advanced options you can fine tune these to
better suit your needs. Personalise - Screen saver is used to change the
Screen Saver Only

Hope this helps


--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2008
DDW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off?
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:08:48 -0500, "news.microsoft.com"
<none@nospam.net> wrote:

>The frustration doesn't end.....


We feel your pain... only in a different way.

It surely will be nice when you've got your computer fixed. Maybe you
should let the kid work on it.

DDW
--
Reply via this group
No email please
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2008
+Bob+
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off?
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:08:48 -0500, "news.microsoft.com"
<none@nospam.net> wrote:

>How do I stop the power saver feature from shutting off my monitor and
>computer before it finishes defragging? Why is everything moved and renamed?
>I right-click on desktop and properties is no longer there. I don't want my
>PC shutting off when it's defragging or I have to work with a client or be
>on the phone. The frustration doesn't end.....


The reason is that unless MS moves things around and renames them,
they don't have much to really justify calling it a "new" OS. They use
the same policy with MS-Office.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2008
news.microsoft.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off?

"+Bob+" <uctraing@ultranet.com> wrote in message
news:al3gf4lqv6eggibise07fqeuvvcopclket@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:08:48 -0500, "news.microsoft.com"
> <none@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>How do I stop the power saver feature from shutting off my monitor and
>>computer before it finishes defragging? Why is everything moved and
>>renamed?
>>I right-click on desktop and properties is no longer there. I don't want
>>my
>>PC shutting off when it's defragging or I have to work with a client or be
>>on the phone. The frustration doesn't end.....

>
> The reason is that unless MS moves things around and renames them,
> they don't have much to really justify calling it a "new" OS. They use
> the same policy with MS-Office.


I agree Bob. I've heard others make the same claim. We had a tech come over
this afternoon and spend 4 hours here helping us with the new Vista
machines. The last computers are being replaced by new MACs or PCs with XP.
Most likely XPs since MACs are so expensive. So many things are suspiciously
like XP only moved somewhere else or renamed or both. XP with a "new coat"
and some extras tossed in. I wonder what W7 will be like.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2008
news.microsoft.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off?

"barman58" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:36affd649271c3a6be785378dd232da3@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> news.microsoft.com;862226 Wrote:
>> How do I stop the power saver feature from shutting off my monitor and
>> computer before it finishes defragging? Why is everything moved and
>> renamed?
>> I right-click on desktop and properties is no longer there. I don't
>> want my
>> PC shutting off when it's defragging or I have to work with a client or
>> be
>> on the phone. The frustration doesn't end.....

>
>
> If you click on the start orb type "power" and run "Power Options"


There is NO "power" or "Power Options" when I click on Start in Home
Premium. What version are you talking about?

> options that appears you can then edit the power options for the Power
> Scheme in use using the advanced options you can fine tune these to
> better suit your needs. Personalise - Screen saver is used to change the
> Screen Saver Only
>
> Hope this helps


Thanks but it appears you have a different version than I have.

>
>
> --
> barman58
>
> Regards,
> *Nigel*
> the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
> understand.,- frank herbert


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2008
DevilsPGD
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off?
In message <emo$hyCMJHA.5232@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> "news.microsoft.com"
<anon@anon.net> was claimed to have wrote:

>
>"barman58" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>news:36affd649271c3a6be785378dd232da3@nntp-gateway.com...
>>
>> news.microsoft.com;862226 Wrote:
>>> How do I stop the power saver feature from shutting off my monitor and
>>> computer before it finishes defragging? Why is everything moved and
>>> renamed?
>>> I right-click on desktop and properties is no longer there. I don't
>>> want my
>>> PC shutting off when it's defragging or I have to work with a client or
>>> be
>>> on the phone. The frustration doesn't end.....

>>
>>
>> If you click on the start orb type "power" and run "Power Options"

>
>There is NO "power" or "Power Options" when I click on Start in Home
>Premium. What version are you talking about?


Did you type "power"?

Press the Windows key on your keyboard or click the orb, then type
"power", the "Power Options" item will appear.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2008
DDW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off?
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 17:37:12 -0700, DevilsPGD
<spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>In message <emo$hyCMJHA.5232@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> "news.microsoft.com"
><anon@anon.net> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>
>>"barman58" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>news:36affd649271c3a6be785378dd232da3@nntp-gateway.com...
>>>
>>> news.microsoft.com;862226 Wrote:
>>>> How do I stop the power saver feature from shutting off my monitor and
>>>> computer before it finishes defragging? Why is everything moved and
>>>> renamed?
>>>> I right-click on desktop and properties is no longer there. I don't
>>>> want my
>>>> PC shutting off when it's defragging or I have to work with a client or
>>>> be
>>>> on the phone. The frustration doesn't end.....
>>>
>>>
>>> If you click on the start orb type "power" and run "Power Options"

>>
>>There is NO "power" or "Power Options" when I click on Start in Home
>>Premium. What version are you talking about?

>
>Did you type "power"?


The bozo didn't type anything: he thought he'd find a button named
"Power" or "Power Options.

>Press the Windows key on your keyboard or click the orb, then type
>"power", the "Power Options" item will appear.


DDW
--
Reply via this group
No email please
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2008
nospam
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off?

"DDW" <dd.wright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
news:crnef4hu96307ea4lhop9mhrromdhtlc67@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:08:48 -0500, "news.microsoft.com"
> <none@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>The frustration doesn't end.....

>
> We feel your pain... only in a different way.
>
> It surely will be nice when you've got your computer fixed. Maybe you
> should let the kid work on it.
>
> DDW


What a ****,,,

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I stop power saver from shutting PC off? news.microsoft.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 10-19-2008 06:11
Power went off while PC was shutting down and installing updates didopana microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 10-15-2008 22:05
Article ID: 937322 Stop error message when you run the "Common Scenario Stress with IO" test, print to a shared printer on the network, or perform a power management operation on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Stop 0x0000009F" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Power Saver options problems Justin microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 0 07-23-2007 16:53




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:08.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120