Vista crashes when waking up from hibernate/sleep

Steve

Vista crashes when waking up from hibernate/sleep
I am running Home Premium SP1 on an MSI laptop with 2 gb of ram, an NVIDIA
GeForce 8600M GT w/512 mb of dedicated VRAM, Realtek HD Audio and a
Bluetooth Mouse. The only thing running in my System Tray is AVG, but it
crashes even with that disabled. I have gone into the TaskMana

Whenever I put the computer into sleep, hybrid sleep or hibernate mode, it
crashes to blue screen displaying the following error message:

STOP: 0 X 0000007E (0 X 0000005, 0 X 00000000, 0 X 8C32FC54, 0 X 8C32F950)

I have already tried the following:
1) Tried to apply several hotfixes, all of which Vista refused to apply due
to the fact they had already been installed.
2) Ran powercfg -a to determine which mode my hardware supports - S3.
3) Implicitly followed the directions on this website
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
4) Upgraded my video drivers to the most current, after learning the driver
file nvlddmkm.sys, version 156.80 was causing Windows to stand by or
hibernate slowly. I am now using the 179.13 drivers, which includes the
179.13 version of the nvlddmkm.sys driver file. The Performance Information
and Tools message suggesting the problem with the 156.80 file keeps coming
back no matter how many times I tell it to Remove From List. The date
reported is October 9, 2008. I only recently installed Vista (like a week
ago), so I'm pretty sure I have been having this problem since I dumped XP.
5) I have scanned my BIOS settings to see if there is anything related to
power management, but couldn't find anything.
6) My computer uses an Intel chipset and is an ACPI x86 based PC (Intel duo
core). Intel Speed Step Technology is enabled in the BIOS, which I think is
what enables disk caching on my hard drive (which is also enabled).
7) Disabled everything in the Startup List.
8) Disabled all the processes via Task Manager.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Frustrated in Canada

Non Sequitur!

Re: Vista crashes when waking up from hibernate/sleep
> I only recently installed Vista (like a week ago), so I'm pretty sure I
> have been having this problem since I dumped XP.

so you know the solution now... dump vista

"Steve" <srennick@accesscomm.ca> wrote in message
> I am running Home Premium SP1 on an MSI laptop with 2 gb of ram, an NVIDIA
> GeForce 8600M GT w/512 mb of dedicated VRAM, Realtek HD Audio and a
> Bluetooth Mouse. The only thing running in my System Tray is AVG, but it
> crashes even with that disabled. I have gone into the TaskMana
>
> Whenever I put the computer into sleep, hybrid sleep or hibernate mode, it
> crashes to blue screen displaying the following error message:
>
> STOP: 0 X 0000007E (0 X 0000005, 0 X 00000000, 0 X 8C32FC54, 0 X 8C32F950)
>
> I have already tried the following:
> 1) Tried to apply several hotfixes, all of which Vista refused to apply
> due to the fact they had already been installed.
> 2) Ran powercfg -a to determine which mode my hardware supports - S3.
> 3) Implicitly followed the directions on this website
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
> 4) Upgraded my video drivers to the most current, after learning the
> driver file nvlddmkm.sys, version 156.80 was causing Windows to stand by
> or hibernate slowly. I am now using the 179.13 drivers, which includes
> the 179.13 version of the nvlddmkm.sys driver file. The Performance
> Information and Tools message suggesting the problem with the 156.80 file
> keeps coming back no matter how many times I tell it to Remove From List.
> The date reported is October 9, 2008. I only recently installed Vista
> (like a week ago), so I'm pretty sure I have been having this problem
> since I dumped XP.
> 5) I have scanned my BIOS settings to see if there is anything related to
> power management, but couldn't find anything.
> 6) My computer uses an Intel chipset and is an ACPI x86 based PC (Intel
> duo core). Intel Speed Step Technology is enabled in the BIOS, which I
> think is what enables disk caching on my hard drive (which is also
> enabled).
> 7) Disabled everything in the Startup List.
> 8) Disabled all the processes via Task Manager.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
> Frustrated in Canada

Richard Urban

Re: Vista crashes when waking up from hibernate/sleep
I would start by turning off speed step. It has nothing to do with caching.

Speed step slows down the CPU to save power when it thinks that it can be
done safely. Who knows if it is making the correct decision.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Steve" <srennick@accesscomm.ca> wrote in message
>I am running Home Premium SP1 on an MSI laptop with 2 gb of ram, an NVIDIA
>GeForce 8600M GT w/512 mb of dedicated VRAM, Realtek HD Audio and a
>Bluetooth Mouse. The only thing running in my System Tray is AVG, but it
>crashes even with that disabled. I have gone into the TaskMana
>
> Whenever I put the computer into sleep, hybrid sleep or hibernate mode, it
> crashes to blue screen displaying the following error message:
>
> STOP: 0 X 0000007E (0 X 0000005, 0 X 00000000, 0 X 8C32FC54, 0 X 8C32F950)
>
> I have already tried the following:
> 1) Tried to apply several hotfixes, all of which Vista refused to apply
> due to the fact they had already been installed.
> 2) Ran powercfg -a to determine which mode my hardware supports - S3.
> 3) Implicitly followed the directions on this website
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
> 4) Upgraded my video drivers to the most current, after learning the
> driver file nvlddmkm.sys, version 156.80 was causing Windows to stand by
> or hibernate slowly. I am now using the 179.13 drivers, which includes
> the 179.13 version of the nvlddmkm.sys driver file. The Performance
> Information and Tools message suggesting the problem with the 156.80 file
> keeps coming back no matter how many times I tell it to Remove From List.
> The date reported is October 9, 2008. I only recently installed Vista
> (like a week ago), so I'm pretty sure I have been having this problem
> since I dumped XP.
> 5) I have scanned my BIOS settings to see if there is anything related to
> power management, but couldn't find anything.
> 6) My computer uses an Intel chipset and is an ACPI x86 based PC (Intel
> duo core). Intel Speed Step Technology is enabled in the BIOS, which I
> think is what enables disk caching on my hard drive (which is also
> enabled).
> 7) Disabled everything in the Startup List.
> 8) Disabled all the processes via Task Manager.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
> Frustrated in Canada

Frenchy

Steve wrote:
> I am running Home Premium SP1 on an MSI laptop with 2 gb of ram, an
> NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT w/512 mb of dedicated VRAM, Realtek HD Audio and
> a Bluetooth Mouse. The only thing running in my System Tray is AVG, but
> it crashes even with that disabled. I have gone into the TaskMana
>
> Whenever I put the computer into sleep, hybrid sleep or hibernate mode,
> it crashes to blue screen displaying the following error message:
>
> STOP: 0 X 0000007E (0 X 0000005, 0 X 00000000, 0 X 8C32FC54, 0 X 8C32F950)
>
> I have already tried the following:
> 1) Tried to apply several hotfixes, all of which Vista refused to apply
> due to the fact they had already been installed.
> 2) Ran powercfg -a to determine which mode my hardware supports - S3.
> 3) Implicitly followed the directions on this website
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
>
> 4) Upgraded my video drivers to the most current, after learning the
> driver file nvlddmkm.sys, version 156.80 was causing Windows to stand by
> or hibernate slowly. I am now using the 179.13 drivers, which includes
> the 179.13 version of the nvlddmkm.sys driver file. The Performance
> Information and Tools message suggesting the problem with the 156.80
> file keeps coming back no matter how many times I tell it to Remove From
> List. The date reported is October 9, 2008. I only recently installed
> Vista (like a week ago), so I'm pretty sure I have been having this
> problem since I dumped XP.
> 5) I have scanned my BIOS settings to see if there is anything related
> to power management, but couldn't find anything.
> 6) My computer uses an Intel chipset and is an ACPI x86 based PC (Intel
> duo core). Intel Speed Step Technology is enabled in the BIOS, which I
> think is what enables disk caching on my hard drive (which is also
> enabled).
> 7) Disabled everything in the Startup List.
> 8) Disabled all the processes via Task Manager.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
> Frustrated in Canada

I would uninstall the video drivers again, make sure you have Driver
Sweeper for Guru3D.com and run that in safe Mode after you think you
have uninstalled the Video drivers. It has a simple menu for you to
select which drivers you want to uninstall (select the NVIDIA Video
Drivers). It will find a bunch of these left over files, let it remove
them and then do a fresh install of 179.13

I was bugged by an inability to use the NVIDIA Control Panel, and the
above fixed that problem

Frenchy
Steve

Re: Vista crashes when waking up from hibernate/sleep
thanks for your help, but it didn't work.
i disabled speed step, but still bluescreened when "waking up."
i uninstalled my video drivers, rebooted into safe mode and ran driver
sweeper, then rebooted again and installed my latest video drivers. the
computer still BSOD-ed while trying to wake up.
any other suggestions?
thanks!
steve

t"Steve" <srennick@accesscomm.ca> wrote in message
>I am running Home Premium SP1 on an MSI laptop with 2 gb of ram, an NVIDIA
>GeForce 8600M GT w/512 mb of dedicated VRAM, Realtek HD Audio and a
>Bluetooth Mouse. The only thing running in my System Tray is AVG, but it
>crashes even with that disabled. I have gone into the TaskMana
>
> Whenever I put the computer into sleep, hybrid sleep or hibernate mode, it
> crashes to blue screen displaying the following error message:
>
> STOP: 0 X 0000007E (0 X 0000005, 0 X 00000000, 0 X 8C32FC54, 0 X 8C32F950)
>
> I have already tried the following:
> 1) Tried to apply several hotfixes, all of which Vista refused to apply
> due to the fact they had already been installed.
> 2) Ran powercfg -a to determine which mode my hardware supports - S3.
> 3) Implicitly followed the directions on this website
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
> 4) Upgraded my video drivers to the most current, after learning the
> driver file nvlddmkm.sys, version 156.80 was causing Windows to stand by
> or hibernate slowly. I am now using the 179.13 drivers, which includes
> the 179.13 version of the nvlddmkm.sys driver file. The Performance
> Information and Tools message suggesting the problem with the 156.80 file
> keeps coming back no matter how many times I tell it to Remove From List.
> The date reported is October 9, 2008. I only recently installed Vista
> (like a week ago), so I'm pretty sure I have been having this problem
> since I dumped XP.
> 5) I have scanned my BIOS settings to see if there is anything related to
> power management, but couldn't find anything.
> 6) My computer uses an Intel chipset and is an ACPI x86 based PC (Intel
> duo core). Intel Speed Step Technology is enabled in the BIOS, which I
> think is what enables disk caching on my hard drive (which is also
> enabled).
> 7) Disabled everything in the Startup List.
> 8) Disabled all the processes via Task Manager.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
> Frustrated in Canada

cqui3

"Steve" <srennick@accesscomm.ca> a écrit dans le message de
> thanks for your help, but it didn't work.
> i disabled speed step, but still bluescreened when "waking up."
> i uninstalled my video drivers, rebooted into safe mode and ran driver
> sweeper, then rebooted again and installed my latest video drivers. the
> computer still BSOD-ed while trying to wake up.
> any other suggestions?
> thanks!
> steve

If you have a backup, I would suggest you format your HD and reinstall
Vista. If you no longer have blue screens*, reinstall your programs.
Check after each install.

*If you still have blue screens, I would fault your hardware.

Steve

Re: Vista crashes when waking up from hibernate/sleep
the more i read though this is a pretty common problem with vista, though.
the machine ONLY crashes when i try to use the powersaving features in
vista. i have so far found more than a dozen hotfixes issued by MS to
address hibernate and sleep issues. up until a few weeks ago, i had xp on
here, and never had a problem with using standby mode. i think i'll just
eat up electricity in an oh-so-environmentally-unfriendly-way rather than
wipe my HD and re-install, thank you very much.