Vista Back-up

=?Utf-8?B?Tmljbw==?=

Vista Back-up
Dear all,

I have a laptop using windows Vista ultimate. I made a back-up of this
system in the beginning. After a few weeks I wanted to re-install my pc to
fix some real problems. I formatted my hard-disk but the problems still
remain.

So now I want to restore my back-up (which is on a separate hard drive). Is
there any way I can still acces this back-up from my new Vista-installation?

Back-up Centre does not give any known back-ups.

Thank you!

Nico
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Vista Back-up
Can you describe the steps you are taking to restore your backup? What kind
of backup did you create originally, a file backup or a Complete PC Backup?

"Nico" <Nico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I have a laptop using windows Vista ultimate. I made a back-up of this
> system in the beginning. After a few weeks I wanted to re-install my pc to
> fix some real problems. I formatted my hard-disk but the problems still
> remain.
>
> So now I want to restore my back-up (which is on a separate hard drive).
> Is
> there any way I can still acces this back-up from my new
> Vista-installation?
>
> Back-up Centre does not give any known back-ups.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Nico

=?Utf-8?B?Tmljbw==?=

Re: Vista Back-up
Thank you for your reply.

I undertook the following steps:
- I had bought a laptop using Windows XP Media Center.
- I bought Windows Vista and reinstalled everything (format of hard drive
and new installation of all soft- and hardware).
- To make sure I made a complete PC Back-up (entire PC into one folder).
- Afterwards I reinstalled my computer again because of a lot of programs I
installed to much, temporary files, …
- When I reinstalled my computer I noticed that I forgot to same my e-mails,
so I wanted to use my complete PC back-up.
- The back-up software did not find any complete PC back-up.

Yesterday I tried to restore the back-up using the Vista DVD (boot from DVD)
and there I did find my back-up. Of is this something else?

Kind regards,

Nico

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Can you describe the steps you are taking to restore your backup? What kind
> of backup did you create originally, a file backup or a Complete PC Backup?

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Nico" <Nico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have a laptop using windows Vista ultimate. I made a back-up of this
> > system in the beginning. After a few weeks I wanted to re-install my pc to
> > fix some real problems. I formatted my hard-disk but the problems still
> > remain.
> >
> > So now I want to restore my back-up (which is on a separate hard drive).
> > Is
> > there any way I can still acces this back-up from my new
> > Vista-installation?
> >
> > Back-up Centre does not give any known back-ups.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Nico

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Vista Back-up
Can you confirm that on your target drive (where the backup is stored), you
have a folder called WindowsImageBackup at the root of the drive?

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I undertook the following steps:
> - I had bought a laptop using Windows XP Media Center.
> - I bought Windows Vista and reinstalled everything (format of hard drive
> and new installation of all soft- and hardware).
> - To make sure I made a complete PC Back-up (entire PC into one folder).
> - Afterwards I reinstalled my computer again because of a lot of programs
> installed to much, temporary files, …
> - When I reinstalled my computer I noticed that I forgot to same my
> e-mails,
> so I wanted to use my complete PC back-up.
> - The back-up software did not find any complete PC back-up.
>
> Yesterday I tried to restore the back-up using the Vista DVD (boot from
> DVD)
> and there I did find my back-up. Of is this something else?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Nico
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Can you describe the steps you are taking to restore your backup? What
>> kind
>> of backup did you create originally, a file backup or a Complete PC
>> Backup?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Nico" <Nico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I have a laptop using windows Vista ultimate. I made a back-up of this
>> > system in the beginning. After a few weeks I wanted to re-install my pc
>> > fix some real problems. I formatted my hard-disk but the problems still
>> > remain.
>> >
>> > So now I want to restore my back-up (which is on a separate hard
>> > drive).
>> > Is
>> > there any way I can still acces this back-up from my new
>> > Vista-installation?
>> >
>> > Back-up Centre does not give any known back-ups.
>> >
>> > Thank you!
>> >
>> > Nico

=?Utf-8?B?Tmljbw==?=

Re: Vista Back-up
I can indeed confirm this. I booted from the Windows Vista DVD and I found my
back-up. So everything is ok now.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards

Nico

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Can you confirm that on your target drive (where the backup is stored), you
> have a folder called WindowsImageBackup at the root of the drive?

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Nico" <Nico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > I undertook the following steps:
> > - I had bought a laptop using Windows XP Media Center.
> > - I bought Windows Vista and reinstalled everything (format of hard drive
> > and new installation of all soft- and hardware).
> > - To make sure I made a complete PC Back-up (entire PC into one folder).
> > - Afterwards I reinstalled my computer again because of a lot of programs
> > installed to much, temporary files, …
> > - When I reinstalled my computer I noticed that I forgot to same my
> > e-mails,
> > so I wanted to use my complete PC back-up.
> > - The back-up software did not find any complete PC back-up.
> >
> > Yesterday I tried to restore the back-up using the Vista DVD (boot from
> > DVD)
> > and there I did find my back-up. Of is this something else?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Nico
> >

> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you describe the steps you are taking to restore your backup? What
> >> kind
> >> of backup did you create originally, a file backup or a Complete PC
> >> Backup?
> >>
> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> >> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

=?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=

Re: Vista Back-up
I have the same problem. I created to complete backups and I am trying to
test restore them. One backup resides on a reserve disk and one on a DVD.
Restore does not find the DVD based backup. It does find the disk based
backup though.
--
Adam

"Nico" wrote:

> I can indeed confirm this. I booted from the Windows Vista DVD and I found my
> back-up. So everything is ok now.
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Kind regards
>
> Nico
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Can you confirm that on your target drive (where the backup is stored), you
> > have a folder called WindowsImageBackup at the root of the drive?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> > team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
> >

> > "Nico" <Nico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thank you for your reply.
> > >
> > > I undertook the following steps:
> > > - I had bought a laptop using Windows XP Media Center.
> > > - I bought Windows Vista and reinstalled everything (format of hard drive
> > > and new installation of all soft- and hardware).
> > > - To make sure I made a complete PC Back-up (entire PC into one folder).
> > > - Afterwards I reinstalled my computer again because of a lot of programs
> > > installed to much, temporary files, …
> > > - When I reinstalled my computer I noticed that I forgot to same my
> > > e-mails,
> > > so I wanted to use my complete PC back-up.
> > > - The back-up software did not find any complete PC back-up.
> > >
> > > Yesterday I tried to restore the back-up using the Vista DVD (boot from
> > > DVD)
> > > and there I did find my back-up. Of is this something else?
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > Nico

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Vista Back-up
How are you launching the restore? From within Windows Vista?

"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem. I created to complete backups and I am trying to
> test restore them. One backup resides on a reserve disk and one on a DVD.
> Restore does not find the DVD based backup. It does find the disk based
> backup though.
> --
> Adam
>

> "Nico" wrote:
>
>> I can indeed confirm this. I booted from the Windows Vista DVD and I
>> found my
>> back-up. So everything is ok now.
>>
>> Thank you for your help!
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Nico
>>
>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>> > Can you confirm that on your target drive (where the backup is stored),
>> > you
>> > have a folder called WindowsImageBackup at the root of the drive?
>> >
>> > --
>> > rights.
>> >
>> > Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit
>> > our
>> > team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

=?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=

Re: Vista Back-up
I am test restoring to a new disk while the original removed so I dont have
Vista during restoration. I am trying to restore through the Vista Repair
brinch of the Vista Installation DVD
--
Adam