My computer won't fully boot-up

sparten002

My computer won't fully boot-up

I have a Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, everytime I start up my
computer it tell's me to press F1 to continue or press F2 to run setup.
This is normal for me but the problem is that recently I get a "A disk
Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" and I can't get pass
this, any help?

--
sparten002
Rick Rogers

Re: My computer won't fully boot-up
Hi,

The first problem occurs because the CMOS battery on the motherboard is dead
and the BIOS can no longer remember any settings once the system is powered
off. pressing F1 likely loads the defaults and allows you to continue.
Replacing the battery will resolve this.

As to problem #2, is there a chance you've left a disk in the CD/DVD drive?
If not, then you may have a failing hard drive. To find out, download and
run a diagnostic tool from the drive manufacturer (these are usually free
and run from bootable disks). It will let you know if the drive is a
candidate for replacement. It is also possible that the drive cabling is
loose and reseating it may help. There is also a small chance that the
connection on the motherboard is failing, and the only cure for that is
replacing the motherboard.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"sparten002" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, everytime I start up my
> computer it tell's me to press F1 to continue or press F2 to run setup.
> This is normal for me but the problem is that recently I get a "A disk
> Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" and I can't get pass
> this, any help?
>

> --
> sparten002

Richard Urban

Re: My computer won't fully boot-up
You likely have a defective hard drive or have lost the necessary boot
files. Have you been playing around with the drives partition structure
(moving/deleting/resizing partitions)?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"sparten002" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, everytime I start up my
> computer it tell's me to press F1 to continue or press F2 to run setup.
> This is normal for me but the problem is that recently I get a "A disk
> Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" and I can't get pass
> this, any help?
>

> --
> sparten002

sparten002

Re: My computer won't fully boot-up

Well my friend was on my computer about 2-3 days ago and he went into
the box, of where I got the computer and took out a Cd and downloaded it
into the computer. It took me awhile to find it and the Cd was a
"Operating System, Reinstallation DVD, Window Vista Home Premium 32
BIT". He told me that he downloaded this cd into the computer. Could
this be the problem?

--
sparten002
Paul Montgomery

Re: My computer won't fully boot-up
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:24:50 -0500, sparten002
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Well my friend was on my computer about 2-3 days ago and he went into
>the box, of where I got the computer and took out a Cd and downloaded it
>into the computer. It took me awhile to find it and the Cd was a
>"Operating System, Reinstallation DVD, Window Vista Home Premium 32
>BIT". He told me that he downloaded this cd into the computer. Could
>this be the problem?

I think it's a clue.
Richard Urban

Re: My computer won't fully boot-up
Take him out back and shoot him!

--

> Well my friend was on my computer about 2-3 days ago and he went into
> the box, of where I got the computer and took out a Cd and downloaded it
> into the computer. It took me awhile to find it and the Cd was a
> "Operating System, Reinstallation DVD, Window Vista Home Premium 32
> BIT". He told me that he downloaded this cd into the computer. Could
> this be the problem?
>

> --
> sparten002

DDW

Re: My computer won't fully boot-up
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:24:50 -0500, sparten002
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Well my friend was on my computer about 2-3 days ago and he went into
>the box, of where I got the computer and took out a Cd and downloaded it
>into the computer.

"My friend". It wasn't you, but your "friend".

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure it was.

>It took me awhile to find it and the Cd was a
>"Operating System, Reinstallation DVD, Window Vista Home Premium 32
>BIT". He told me that he downloaded this cd into the computer. Could
>this be the problem?

DDW
No email please