Vista Complete Backup

Alberto

Vista Complete Backup
Hi,

Vista complete backup save only 1 backup.
If I backup after 1 week the previous backup is deleted.
I save my Vista Backup's on a reserved partition (175GB) of an external hd.

Please let me know

Thanks
Tom W.

Re: Vista Complete Backup
I think it just works like shadow copies, and when full the oldest shadow
copies will be deleted.

"Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Vista complete backup save only 1 backup.
> If I backup after 1 week the previous backup is deleted.
> I save my Vista Backup's on a reserved partition (175GB) of an external
> hd.
>
> Please let me know
>
> Thanks

Alberto

Re: Vista Complete Backup
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't understand.

The complete backup of Vista Ultimate work like Norton Ghost?

If yes I can create multiple backup's of my Vista partition and Programs
partition once a week, 4 backup's saved in a month?

Regards
Alberto

"Tom W." wrote:

> I think it just works like shadow copies, and when full the oldest shadow
> copies will be deleted.
>
> "Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Vista complete backup save only 1 backup.
> > If I backup after 1 week the previous backup is deleted.
> > I save my Vista Backup's on a reserved partition (175GB) of an external
> > hd.
> >
> > Please let me know
> >
> > Thanks

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista Complete Backup
I've used Complete PC Backup and found it simple to use; however it isn't
foolproof, in the sense that you can't access individual files from a
complete PC backup file. For this reason I not only use Complete PC Backup,
but I also use Acronis True Image.

Now getting back to your question. Complete PC Backup takes an image of your
hard drive/partition the very first time you use it (using your scenario we
will called that 'week 1') When you next create a backup (call that week 2)
Complete PC Backup on does an incremental backup, in other words, it only
backs up files that have changed since your initial backup image was
created. Your next backup (week 3) does the same, and so does the backup
after that (week 4). You are not going to get 4 separate full backup files.
You will only get one. As far as I know there is no option to create full
backups at each schedule backup point.

Because only incremental backups are performed if I want to create a full
backup again, I simply delete the current backup files from my removable
hard drive and then create a new one afresh. I must stress, however, that I
only allocate 25GB for my backups so, even if Complete PC Backup could
create new full backups each time I simply would have the room. I have,
however, created a full backup and then a week later run Complete PC backup
again and I has 'only' create an incremental backup.

At least with Acronis True Image you personally select whether you want a
full backup, Incremental, or otherwise.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news910B92D-7E99-457F-AE08-89621BBE3696@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I don't understand.
>
> The complete backup of Vista Ultimate work like Norton Ghost?
>
> If yes I can create multiple backup's of my Vista partition and Programs
> partition once a week, 4 backup's saved in a month?
>
> Regards
> Alberto
>
> "Tom W." wrote:
>
>> I think it just works like shadow copies, and when full the oldest shadow
>> copies will be deleted.
>>
>> "Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Vista complete backup save only 1 backup.
>> > If I backup after 1 week the previous backup is deleted.
>> > I save my Vista Backup's on a reserved partition (175GB) of an external
>> > hd.
>> >
>> > Please let me know
>> >
>> > Thanks

Tom W.

Re: Vista Complete Backup
You can access individual files by mounting the vhd file with vhdmount from
the free to obtain MS Virtual Server 2005.

And yes, the back-ups aren't seperatable, but I think you can just use the
shadow copies feature once you mount the vhd to get back older versions in
case they haven't been overwritten already.

---

Want to make them seperatable? You could rename the folders, although this
will make the time to back-up a lot longer as it needs to copy everything
again.

Hmmz, I'm wondering, can't you pass extra options with command line or is
Complete PC GUI only?

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> I've used Complete PC Backup and found it simple to use; however it isn't
> foolproof, in the sense that you can't access individual files from a
> complete PC backup file. For this reason I not only use Complete PC
> Backup, but I also use Acronis True Image.
>
> Now getting back to your question. Complete PC Backup takes an image of
> your hard drive/partition the very first time you use it (using your
> scenario we will called that 'week 1') When you next create a backup (call
> that week 2) Complete PC Backup on does an incremental backup, in other
> words, it only backs up files that have changed since your initial backup
> image was created. Your next backup (week 3) does the same, and so does
> the backup after that (week 4). You are not going to get 4 separate full
> backup files. You will only get one. As far as I know there is no option
> to create full backups at each schedule backup point.
>
> Because only incremental backups are performed if I want to create a full
> backup again, I simply delete the current backup files from my removable
> hard drive and then create a new one afresh. I must stress, however, that
> I only allocate 25GB for my backups so, even if Complete PC Backup could
> create new full backups each time I simply would have the room. I have,
> however, created a full backup and then a week later run Complete PC
> backup again and I has 'only' create an incremental backup.
>
> At least with Acronis True Image you personally select whether you want a
> full backup, Incremental, or otherwise.

> John Barnett MVP
> Windows XP Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> the
> mail/post..
>

> "Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news910B92D-7E99-457F-AE08-89621BBE3696@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> I don't understand.
>>
>> The complete backup of Vista Ultimate work like Norton Ghost?
>>
>> If yes I can create multiple backup's of my Vista partition and Programs
>> partition once a week, 4 backup's saved in a month?
>>
>> Regards
>> Alberto
>>
>> "Tom W." wrote:
>>
>>> I think it just works like shadow copies, and when full the oldest
>>> shadow
>>> copies will be deleted.

Alberto

Re: Vista Complete Backup
Ok,now is clear.
I know, the same trick to sell products that don't work.
Using Windows 2000 and Norton Ghost and I can go back weeks before loading a
full backup clear without changes done in the partition or spyware viruses
installed.

Norton Ghost work on Vista32 Ultimate?

Thank you

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> I've used Complete PC Backup and found it simple to use; however it isn't
> foolproof, in the sense that you can't access individual files from a
> complete PC backup file. For this reason I not only use Complete PC Backup,
> but I also use Acronis True Image.
>
> Now getting back to your question. Complete PC Backup takes an image of your
> hard drive/partition the very first time you use it (using your scenario we
> will called that 'week 1') When you next create a backup (call that week 2)
> Complete PC Backup on does an incremental backup, in other words, it only
> backs up files that have changed since your initial backup image was
> created. Your next backup (week 3) does the same, and so does the backup
> after that (week 4). You are not going to get 4 separate full backup files.
> You will only get one. As far as I know there is no option to create full
> backups at each schedule backup point.
>
> Because only incremental backups are performed if I want to create a full
> backup again, I simply delete the current backup files from my removable
> hard drive and then create a new one afresh. I must stress, however, that I
> only allocate 25GB for my backups so, even if Complete PC Backup could
> create new full backups each time I simply would have the room. I have,
> however, created a full backup and then a week later run Complete PC backup
> again and I has 'only' create an incremental backup.
>
> At least with Acronis True Image you personally select whether you want a
> full backup, Incremental, or otherwise.

> John Barnett MVP
> Windows XP Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>

> "Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news910B92D-7E99-457F-AE08-89621BBE3696@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > I don't understand.
> >
> > The complete backup of Vista Ultimate work like Norton Ghost?
> >
> > If yes I can create multiple backup's of my Vista partition and Programs
> > partition once a week, 4 backup's saved in a month?
> >
> > Regards
> > Alberto
> >
> > "Tom W." wrote:
> >
> >> I think it just works like shadow copies, and when full the oldest shadow
> >> copies will be deleted.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista Complete Backup
Alberto I have never tried Norton Ghost on Vista. I know that some versions
are not compatible with Vista but, according to Norton, the latest version
(version 14.0) is compatible.

To be honest I am not a Norton fan. Norton products were good in the days of
Windows 95/98 but then they went downhill.

The only product I recommend nowadays for backups is Acronis True Image.
Their latest version, Acronis True Image 2009, has just been released.

newsA24300E-C28D-4E8A-B24A-1EDD8EC23421@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>

>> "Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news910B92D-7E99-457F-AE08-89621BBE3696@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Thank you for your reply.
>> >
>> > I don't understand.
>> >
>> > The complete backup of Vista Ultimate work like Norton Ghost?
>> >
>> > If yes I can create multiple backup's of my Vista partition and
>> > Programs
>> > partition once a week, 4 backup's saved in a month?

Alberto

Re: Vista Complete Backup
Ok, I'll try ATI 9

Thank you very much to all

Regards,
Alberto

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> At least with Acronis True Image you personally select whether you want a
> >> full backup, Incremental, or otherwise.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Barnett MVP
> >> Windows XP Associate Expert
> >> Windows Desktop Experience
> >>
> >> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
> >>
> >> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> >> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> >> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> >> for
> >> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> >> the
> >> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista Complete Backup
You're Welcome, Alberto