Vista 64 New Ram BSOD

Angelo

Vista 64 New Ram BSOD

Hey guys, 1st post, I have been running around for the past 12 hours
trying to find out why my computer is the way it is. I had Vista 32 Bit
with 2 Gigs of RAM. Wanted to get 4 gigs and was told to upgrade to 64
Edition, I did. My Specs now are, Intel Quad 3.4Ghz, 8800GTX SLI, 4 Gigs
DDR2, Dual Hard Drives. My problem now is a ton of hardware now wont
install, my external HD Western Digital, Integrated Flash Card Reader,
etc. They wont run. Also I am afraid to turn off my computer now,
because every time it boots it BSOD's so I have to go to "Last Known
Good Configuration" I am completly out of ideas. I did "Mem-Test" no
problems on the RAM I got the latest version of my BIOS, and my MOBO is
an nForce 680I SLI. Please help me out guys, I really appreciate it.

PS. You guys can check out my other post here
'Ahh! Upgraded to Vista 64bit'
(http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums...owtopic=155890)

Angelo Cosma

--
Angelo
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Vista 64 New Ram BSOD
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 07:22:17 -0500, Angelo <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

> Hey guys, 1st post, I have been running around for the past 12 hours
> trying to find out why my computer is the way it is. I had Vista 32 Bit
> with 2 Gigs of RAM. Wanted to get 4 gigs

Why? Why did you think 4GB would improve performance or anything else?
It does for some people, but most won't see any difference.

Also note that you can install 4GB of RAM Under 32-bit Windows. It
won't use all of it, just something around 3.2GB, but that might be
sufficient for what you do.

> and was told to upgrade to 64
> Edition, I did. My Specs now are, Intel Quad 3.4Ghz, 8800GTX SLI, 4 Gigs
> DDR2, Dual Hard Drives. My problem now is a ton of hardware now wont
> install, my external HD Western Digital, Integrated Flash Card Reader,
> etc. They wont run.

Very likely because you don't have the proper 64-bit drivers for them.
It's one reason why 64-bit Windows is a bad choice for many people.

Whether the proper 64-bit drivers are available for you, I don't know,
but you should check, and contact the hardware manufacturers.

> Also I am afraid to turn off my computer now,
> because every time it boots it BSOD's so I have to go to "Last Known
> Good Configuration" I am completly out of ideas. I did "Mem-Test" no
> problems on the RAM I got the latest version of my BIOS, and my MOBO is
> an nForce 680I SLI. Please help me out guys, I really appreciate it.
>
> PS. You guys can check out my other post here
> 'Ahh! Upgraded to Vista 64bit'
> (http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums...owtopic=155890)
>
> Angelo Cosma
>

> --
> Angelo

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Paul Smith

Re: Vista 64 New Ram BSOD
In addition to what Ken has said, 64-bit does need new drivers, and as such
not all hardware is completely supported - if at all.

Assuming you haven't activated WIndows, blast the 32-bit version back on
there to make sure everything is working normally - just to try and rule out
any possible fault with the RAM. Although it does sound like a driver that
is installed after the first boot is causing the STOP error which is why
restoring to last known good configuration works.

Otherwise it really is a case of going through the hardware bit by bit to
see what works.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

"Angelo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hey guys, 1st post, I have been running around for the past 12 hours
> trying to find out why my computer is the way it is. I had Vista 32 Bit
> with 2 Gigs of RAM. Wanted to get 4 gigs and was told to upgrade to 64
> Edition, I did. My Specs now are, Intel Quad 3.4Ghz, 8800GTX SLI, 4 Gigs
> DDR2, Dual Hard Drives. My problem now is a ton of hardware now wont
> install, my external HD Western Digital, Integrated Flash Card Reader,
> etc. They wont run. Also I am afraid to turn off my computer now,
> because every time it boots it BSOD's so I have to go to "Last Known
> Good Configuration" I am completly out of ideas. I did "Mem-Test" no
> problems on the RAM I got the latest version of my BIOS, and my MOBO is
> an nForce 680I SLI. Please help me out guys, I really appreciate it.
>
> PS. You guys can check out my other post here
> 'Ahh! Upgraded to Vista 64bit'
> (http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums...owtopic=155890)
>
> Angelo Cosma
>

> --
> Angelo

Mr GRiM

Re: Vista 64 New Ram BSOD

Are you sure that you have loaded all the drivers back on that came with
your motherboard and your other hardware, Also try to reset your Bios to
Optimised Defaults and make sure you have the latest Bios updates. Your
External Hard drive should work fine on 64bit if it was working with
32bit Vista. Check all your connections and make sure everything is
pushed in firmly.

--
Mr GRiM
jcgriff2