Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

RPGexpert

Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

Alright So I just recently built a new Machine with vista 64 bit home
premium and I'm having all kinds of speed issues. Videos are just
outrageously choppy and browsing around on mozilla gives me a few hang
ups here and there. I'm pretty sure I have everything updated too,
including graphic and audio drivers.

AMD Phenom 9950 X4 2.82 GHz
4 GB G-Skill Ram (2 X 2GB)
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
1 TB Western Digital Caviar
Gigabyte GA-MA 790GP-DS4H Mobo

Not sure if this matters but Windows Experience Index is 5.6
(Everything is 5.9 except for the hard drive which was 5.6)

Games Run Great including Oblivion without choppiness, But just about
everything I do on vista is killing me and horribly choppy.

--
RPGexpert
Brink

Re: Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

RPGexpert;857441 Wrote:
> Alright So I just recently built a new Machine with vista 64 bit home
> premium and I'm having all kinds of speed issues. Videos are just
> outrageously choppy and browsing around on mozilla gives me a few hang
> ups here and there. I'm pretty sure I have everything updated too,
> including graphic and audio drivers.
>
> AMD Phenom 9950 X4 2.82 GHz
> 4 GB G-Skill Ram (2 X 2GB)
> ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2
> 1 TB Western Digital Caviar
> Gigabyte GA-MA 790GP-DS4H Mobo
>
> Not sure if this matters but Windows Experience Index is 5.6
> (Everything is 5.9 except for the hard drive which was 5.6)
>
> Games Run Great including Oblivion without choppiness, But just about
> everything I do on vista is killing me and horribly choppy.

Hello RGPexpert,

Give these items a try to see if they can help speed up your system.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81...nce-vista.html

I would double check to make sure that you have the latest 64 bit
driver versions for your devices. It is possible that a driver has been
corrupted and that you will need to uninstall and reinstall it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
RPGexpert

Re: Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

Thanks for the reply and guides, got a slight concern though. I skimmed
through the list and did a few of the tweaks. I don't have much time
before work but I did try the one where it uses each part of the
processor on boot up. I changed the processors from 1 to 4 and clicked
the Detect HAL box and made the settings permanent. Well my Reboot time
before all of that was 108 and afterwards it was still 108 seconds. Is
this any reason for concern about my processor? I did a few more tweaks
and got the boot time down to 92 but still something doesn't seem right.

--
RPGexpert
Brink

Re: Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

If the # of CPUs at boot did not help, the you can uncheck it to set it
back to the default settings. It will not hurt anything to leave it set
either way. Some people see a performance increase while others do not
with this.

Have you already uninstalled and reinstalled your drivers to see if one
of them was corrupted?

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
RPGexpert

Re: Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

Sorry for the late response was busy with work. But, I have reinstalled
some drivers and everything seems to be working just fine on installs,
no errors whatsoever. But Vista still runs poorly, its even worse later
at night. I changed up the power settings too, to get the most out of
my system but I still run into big time lag and choppiness.

--
RPGexpert
Brink

Re: Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

Umm, ok.

Have you already installed the latest '*Chipset*'
(http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2887)
and '*BIOS*'
(http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2887)
versions for your motherboard?

If you have, then you might consider reinstalling Vista. It may have
been corrupted some how causing these issues.

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
RPGexpert

Re: Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

The Bios driver was the only one I couldn't install, it wasn't
compatible with 64-bit windows. And well doesn't look like Gigabyte has
a 64 bit install either, so I was out of luck there.

--
RPGexpert
Kerry Brown

"RPGexpert" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Alright So I just recently built a new Machine with vista 64 bit home
> premium and I'm having all kinds of speed issues. Videos are just
> outrageously choppy and browsing around on mozilla gives me a few hang
> ups here and there. I'm pretty sure I have everything updated too,
> including graphic and audio drivers.

In the Start search box start typing Performance Information and Tools. When
you see it in the list above run it. Click on Advanced Tools. Often
performance problems are listed here. If none are listed click on View
performance details in Event log. It may take a while going through the log
and googling for help on the entries but you will most likely find the
problem here.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Brink

Re: Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

Hi RPGexpert,

If you do not have a USB flash drive to use at boot to select the
unzipped BIOS flash files with *Qflash* (*End *key), then you can
temporarily '*create a 1GB (1024 MB) \"FAT32\" partition*'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...partition.html)
on your hard drive to place the unzipped BIOS flash files to select at
boot with *Qflash* (*End *key). Afterwards you can '*delete that
partition and extend C: back* '
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...tend.html)into
it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
RPGexpert

Re: Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

Wow I totally forgot I could use a flash drive in the Bios, So I did the
QFlash with no problems, and so far everything seems alright, I'm not
getting jerky pages or sticking videos. I'll post again if my system
starts to Bog down later on in the day. But can the BIOS really improve
performance just from flashing it? I guess I still have things to learn
heh

--
RPGexpert