Network adapter waking laptop from sleep?

Oldroser

Network adapter waking laptop from sleep?

My Home Premium laptop keeps waking up from sleep. In Event Viewer, just
before the entry saying it has resumed from sleep, it says "The system
detected that network adapter Wireless Network Connection was connected
to the network, and has initiated normal operation."

Immediately before this is says "Your computer was not able to renew
its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card
with network address 001B9E662EAC. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user.. Your computer will continue to
try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP)
server."

However, my wireless adapter is set to not wake the computer. I've gone
through the power settings, other device manager settings, scheduled
tasks to eliminate everything I can find. But I can't figure out why it
is looking for the network while asleep or why it says the adapter was
connected.

--
Oldroser
dhroth

Re: Network adapter waking laptop from sleep?

Hi, were you ever able to resolve this problem? My daughter has a
laptop with Vista Home Premium that is having the exact same problem.
It wakes up on its own from sleep mode, and the first message in the
event viewer upon waking is: "The system has detected that network
adapter Wireless network Connection was connected to the network, and
has initiated normal operation. At this point, it prompts for a login
as configured and stays awake draining the battery. Any help on how
this issue was resolved, if it was resolved, would be appreciated.

--
dhroth
Dave T.

dhroth wrote:
> Hi, were you ever able to resolve this problem? My daughter has a
> laptop with Vista Home Premium that is having the exact same problem.
> It wakes up on its own from sleep mode, and the first message in the
> event viewer upon waking is: "The system has detected that network
> adapter Wireless network Connection was connected to the network, and
> has initiated normal operation. At this point, it prompts for a login
> as configured and stays awake draining the battery. Any help on how
> this issue was resolved, if it was resolved, would be appreciated.

If you haven't tried these steps, do so. It worked for me.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...ms.html?filter[11]=Power%20Management

Dave T.
Oldroser

Re: Network adapter waking laptop from sleep?

I really never solved the problems on my Toshiba laptop despite new fan
and motherboard. I started getting fatal machine checks after a long
series of corrected machine checks and discovered these were hardware
related, not Vista. Toshiba, however, ran out the clock on my warranty.
The head engineer at their hq said he couldn't get the AMD program to
read the event errors to work, despite it being installed on the
computer and a zipped copy in a file on the desktop along with the
readme on how to use it! So I bought a HP HDX18 at their site when their
monthly 30% off coupon came out and I've never had a wake from sleep
problem or many event errors! Subsequently, when I do turn on the
Toshiba I see temperatures rising quickly to the 80 degree range, so I
don't use it. A friend in another city reports huge problems with a
different Toshiba model and resorting to buying another cheap laptop of
a different brand.

I did fix the network being dropped and then resuming all by itself a
little later by going to the Intel site and reading how to set the
Advanced tab's various settings under Properties and that AES not TCKP
should be used for WPA Personal and WPA2 Personal under security
settings for my router, despite what Linksys said (I may not have the
names for these setting exactly right, doing this from memory).
'Intel« WiFi Products - How to access and configure advanced Wi-Fi
adapter settings on Windows Vista*'
(http://www.intel.com/support/wireles.../CS-025393.htm)

I am sorry if this isn't helpful, I spent a painful year trying to get
that laptop to work. Have you downloaded SP2? I was told by level two
Microsoft technicians trying to help me on my various cases that SP2 was
rumored to help with sleep/wake problems.

I also discovered the an undate to Defender was downloaded during the
night, when my computer was asleep, even though I had Windows Update set
to Never Check for Updates, as a Platinum Level HP technician in Canada
recommended. I was, and am, furious about that! After talking to a
roundd robin of people at Microsoft about this, someone called me back
the next day from Vista and said to disable it in Services and then just
reenable it to go to Windows Update and then disable it again, which I
have done. Windows Update, and TV programs if you have a TV tuner, will
wake the computer. In fact the defragger may be set to operate at night
and that will wake the computer. You have to go through everything in
Task Scheduler.

--
Oldroser