Disk Defrag affecting Sleep Function

Bruce UK

Disk Defrag affecting Sleep Function
Hi All

Before I ran disk defragmentor for the first time in Vista, my pc would go
to sleep without any problem, since then, it attempts to sleep, monito
powers off, but hard drive still hums. You are then unable to 'wake' the pc
and have to force shutdown and reboot.

I found a solution to this on tech-net which was to open the command prompt
as an Administrator then use the command powercfg -h on. This works and is
great, only problem is I need to do this everytime before I try sleep the
pc.

Has anyone else had a problem with either disk clean up or disk defrag
affecting pc sleep?

Cheers

Bruce

Tony Pacc

Re: Disk Defrag affecting Sleep Function
"Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> Before I ran disk defragmentor for the first time in Vista, my pc would go
> to sleep without any problem, since then, it attempts to sleep, monito
> powers off, but hard drive still hums. You are then unable to 'wake' the
> pc and have to force shutdown and reboot.
>
> I found a solution to this on tech-net which was to open the command
> prompt as an Administrator then use the command powercfg -h on. This works
> and is great, only problem is I need to do this everytime before I try
> sleep the pc.
>
> Has anyone else had a problem with either disk clean up or disk defrag
> affecting pc sleep?
>
> Cheers
>
> Bruce

yeah I am having the same problem,when it does go in to the sleep mode I
have to turn off the computer,then next time it starts I get that warning
screen,on occasion it re boots by it self.

Bruce UK

Re: Disk Defrag affecting Sleep Function
Apparently it has something to do with the hybernation file being made not
accessible by the system, so the pc is unable to sleep as it cannot save any
changes. I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this and working on a fix?

With the issue you had, did it start after using disk clean-up or defrag?
"Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
> "Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All
>>
>> Before I ran disk defragmentor for the first time in Vista, my pc would
>> go to sleep without any problem, since then, it attempts to sleep, monito
>> powers off, but hard drive still hums. You are then unable to 'wake' the
>> pc and have to force shutdown and reboot.
>>
>> I found a solution to this on tech-net which was to open the command
>> prompt as an Administrator then use the command powercfg -h on. This
>> works and is great, only problem is I need to do this everytime before I
>> try sleep the pc.
>>
>> Has anyone else had a problem with either disk clean up or disk defrag
>> affecting pc sleep?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Bruce

> yeah I am having the same problem,when it does go in to the sleep mode I
> have to turn off the computer,then next time it starts I get that warning
> screen,on occasion it re boots by it self.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Disk Defrag affecting Sleep Function
The hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature in Windows Vista may become unavailable after you use the Disk Cleanup Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928897

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:BD86EBA3-0F1A-4856-B6EF-1DE6F2FBF2B9@microsoft.com...
Apparently it has something to do with the hybernation file being made not
accessible by the system, so the pc is unable to sleep as it cannot save any
changes. I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this and working on a fix?

With the issue you had, did it start after using disk clean-up or defrag?
"Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
> "Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All
>>
>> Before I ran disk defragmentor for the first time in Vista, my pc would
>> go to sleep without any problem, since then, it attempts to sleep, monito
>> powers off, but hard drive still hums. You are then unable to 'wake' the
>> pc and have to force shutdown and reboot.
>>
>> I found a solution to this on tech-net which was to open the command
>> prompt as an Administrator then use the command powercfg -h on. This
>> works and is great, only problem is I need to do this everytime before I
>> try sleep the pc.
>>
>> Has anyone else had a problem with either disk clean up or disk defrag
>> affecting pc sleep?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Bruce

> yeah I am having the same problem,when it does go in to the sleep mode I
> have to turn off the computer,then next time it starts I get that warning
> screen,on occasion it re boots by it self.

=?Utf-8?B?RGFycmlu?=

RE: Disk Defrag affecting Sleep Function
I had the same problem and I did what you did by typing the command prompt
and my sleep function worked properly ever since.

"Bruce UK" wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Before I ran disk defragmentor for the first time in Vista, my pc would go
> to sleep without any problem, since then, it attempts to sleep, monito
> powers off, but hard drive still hums. You are then unable to 'wake' the pc
> and have to force shutdown and reboot.
>
> I found a solution to this on tech-net which was to open the command prompt
> as an Administrator then use the command powercfg -h on. This works and is
> great, only problem is I need to do this everytime before I try sleep the
> pc.
>
> Has anyone else had a problem with either disk clean up or disk defrag
> affecting pc sleep?
>
> Cheers
>
> Bruce

Bruce UK

Re: Disk Defrag affecting Sleep Function
Thanks for this, two problemsare;

I have not used disk clean-up, only defrag, and

When i enable hybernation from the command prompt, this seems to be only
valid for one sleep session, I need to re-enable it after 'wake-up' to sleep
it again or my pc hangs, any ideas on a work around for this?

Thanks

Bruce.
The hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature in Windows Vista may
become unavailable after you use the Disk Cleanup Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928897

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message
Apparently it has something to do with the hybernation file being made not
accessible by the system, so the pc is unable to sleep as it cannot save any
changes. I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this and working on a fix?

With the issue you had, did it start after using disk clean-up or defrag?
"Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
> "Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All
>>
>> Before I ran disk defragmentor for the first time in Vista, my pc would
>> go to sleep without any problem, since then, it attempts to sleep, monito
>> powers off, but hard drive still hums. You are then unable to 'wake' the
>> pc and have to force shutdown and reboot.
>>
>> I found a solution to this on tech-net which was to open the command
>> prompt as an Administrator then use the command powercfg -h on. This
>> works and is great, only problem is I need to do this everytime before I
>> try sleep the pc.
>>
>> Has anyone else had a problem with either disk clean up or disk defrag
>> affecting pc sleep?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Bruce

> yeah I am having the same problem,when it does go in to the sleep mode I
> have to turn off the computer,then next time it starts I get that warning
> screen,on occasion it re boots by it self.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Disk Defrag affecting Sleep Function
Bruce,

Although I have no idea about why this problem re-occurs, I think checking the event log would be a good idea.

--

"Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:65530600-1A54-48C8-A719-31626F0DF546@microsoft.com...
Thanks for this, two problemsare;

I have not used disk clean-up, only defrag, and

When i enable hybernation from the command prompt, this seems to be only
valid for one sleep session, I need to re-enable it after 'wake-up' to sleep
it again or my pc hangs, any ideas on a work around for this?

Thanks

Bruce.
The hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature in Windows Vista may
become unavailable after you use the Disk Cleanup Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928897

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message
Apparently it has something to do with the hybernation file being made not
accessible by the system, so the pc is unable to sleep as it cannot save any
changes. I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this and working on a fix?

With the issue you had, did it start after using disk clean-up or defrag?
"Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
> "Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All
>>
>> Before I ran disk defragmentor for the first time in Vista, my pc would
>> go to sleep without any problem, since then, it attempts to sleep, monito
>> powers off, but hard drive still hums. You are then unable to 'wake' the
>> pc and have to force shutdown and reboot.
>>
>> I found a solution to this on tech-net which was to open the command
>> prompt as an Administrator then use the command powercfg -h on. This
>> works and is great, only problem is I need to do this everytime before I
>> try sleep the pc.
>>
>> Has anyone else had a problem with either disk clean up or disk defrag
>> affecting pc sleep?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Bruce

> yeah I am having the same problem,when it does go in to the sleep mode I
> have to turn off the computer,then next time it starts I get that warning
> screen,on occasion it re boots by it self.

Bruce UK

Re: Disk Defrag affecting Sleep Function
Checked the event log, and there does not seem to be any mention. Any ideas?

Bruce,

Although I have no idea about why this problem re-occurs, I think checking
the event log would be a good idea.

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message
Thanks for this, two problemsare;

I have not used disk clean-up, only defrag, and

When i enable hybernation from the command prompt, this seems to be only
valid for one sleep session, I need to re-enable it after 'wake-up' to sleep
it again or my pc hangs, any ideas on a work around for this?

Thanks

Bruce.
The hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature in Windows Vista may
become unavailable after you use the Disk Cleanup Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928897

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message
Apparently it has something to do with the hybernation file being made not
accessible by the system, so the pc is unable to sleep as it cannot save any
changes. I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this and working on a fix?

With the issue you had, did it start after using disk clean-up or defrag?
"Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
> "Bruce UK" <bruce.uk@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All
>>
>> Before I ran disk defragmentor for the first time in Vista, my pc would
>> go to sleep without any problem, since then, it attempts to sleep, monito
>> powers off, but hard drive still hums. You are then unable to 'wake' the
>> pc and have to force shutdown and reboot.
>>
>> I found a solution to this on tech-net which was to open the command
>> prompt as an Administrator then use the command powercfg -h on. This
>> works and is great, only problem is I need to do this everytime before I
>> try sleep the pc.
>>
>> Has anyone else had a problem with either disk clean up or disk defrag
>> affecting pc sleep?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Bruce

> yeah I am having the same problem,when it does go in to the sleep mode I
> have to turn off the computer,then next time it starts I get that warning
> screen,on occasion it re boots by it self.

=?Utf-8?B?c2t5enlr?=

RE: Disk Defrag affecting Sleep Function
I do not use disc clean-up exactly for that reason. It kept erasing the flash
player and I had to uninstall and reinstall the falsh player every time. I
think that the de-frag use the same os as disc clean-up. I am presently using
Live One Care and I did a full virus, clean-uo back-up scan overnight while
the computer was sleeping. This morning everything is the same with no
changes to sleep settings. Have you gone into Sytem Maintenance, Power
Options, Choose when the computer sleeps? It sounds like it's your own
settings or as in the beginning your settings keep getting erased. If it
happens everytime you defrag, well, what do you think?

"Bruce UK" wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Before I ran disk defragmentor for the first time in Vista, my pc would go
> to sleep without any problem, since then, it attempts to sleep, monito
> powers off, but hard drive still hums. You are then unable to 'wake' the pc
> and have to force shutdown and reboot.
>
> I found a solution to this on tech-net which was to open the command prompt
> as an Administrator then use the command powercfg -h on. This works and is
> great, only problem is I need to do this everytime before I try sleep the
> pc.
>
> Has anyone else had a problem with either disk clean up or disk defrag
> affecting pc sleep?
>
> Cheers
>
> Bruce

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Disk Defrag affecting Sleep Function
Bruce,

If the System event log provides no clues, then no other ideas. But have noted down this issue.