Experience Index problem

Rolando E Creagh, MD

Experience Index problem
Good day gentlemen.

--
R. E. Creagh, MD FACS
Heartburn Centre Des Moines

Rolando E Creagh, MD

Re: Experience Index problem
Please advice if I am not in the correct forum for this problem.
Perhaps nobody is interested.
Cheers

--
R. E. Creagh, MD FACS
Heartburn Centre Des Moines
HEARTBURN?? WHY??!!
Demand a Peace Conclave!

NormCameron

Re: Experience Index problem

Hi Rolando, Welcome to the forums. I have done a little research on
your problem and the closest I can come to an answer is to say other
people report this problem as having been caused by a graphics card
driver. Most refer to Nvidea as the culprit. I note that you have an
ATI card, but you could try uninstalling the driver and updating to the
newest version here 'Lenovo Support & downloads - Downloads and
drivers'
(http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...testyle=lenovo)

--
NormCameron
Rolando E Creagh, MD

Re: Experience Index problem
Hi Norm and very grateful for your return.
The ATI card does have the driver version 8.383.1.1 which is the last
available and is detailed in the WEI report. I get my updates from a
customized page of Lenovo to the specific type of laptop model, in this case
a 2613CTO. The one strange item was that in the driver detail, there was
only one file listed. I reinstalled the driver through the properties and
the .inf (through setup failed, as keep asking for the .inf file, which it
could not find) and now there are 21 files specified in the drivers detail,
including the single one previously present, yet the pack still has the same
version. Of course, everything is working quite well.
Now WEI does not show the previous warning about a device changed and is not
requesting to be run, yet will still fail without completion and with same
error message.
I have tried analyzing the problem with Sysinternal/ProcesMonitor but the
log file generated is so big (180 Mb, 21 Mb as zip) that is impossible for
me to make any sense of it (I am no expert either). Of course, average ISP
will not accept it in emails, so I could not even send it to a friend.
Perhaps I should be happy with the index of 4.3.
Cheers

--
R. E. Creagh, MD FACS
Heartburn Centre Des Moines
HEARTBURN?? WHY??!!
Demand a Peace Conclave!

Rolando E Creagh, MD

Re: Experience Index problem
Oh, I failed to mention that in one of the procesmonitor log files, the
error seams to be past the ATI card.
Here is a short example:
Build-6001
> Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
> T7400 @ 2.16GHz
> TSC Frequency : 0
> Number of Processors : 1
> Number of Cores : 2
> Number of CPUs : 2
> Number of Cores per Processor : 2
> Number of CPUs Per Core : 1
> Cores have logical CPUs : NO
> L1 Cache and line Size : 32768 64
> L2 Cache and line Size : 4194304 64
> Total physical memo available to the OS : 2.99 GB (3,218,776,064 bytes)
> Adapter Description : ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5250
> Adapter Manufacturer : ATI Technologies Inc.
> Adapter Driver Version : 8.383.1.1000
> Adapter Driver Date (yy/mm/dd) : 2007\6\21
> Has DX9 or better : Yes
> Has Pixel shader 2.0 or better : Yes
> Has LDDM Driver : Yes
> Dedicated (local) video memory : 254.66MB
> System memory dedicated as video memory : 0.00MB
> System memory shared as video memory : 1279.21MB
> Primary Monitor Size : 1400 X 1050 (1470000 total
> pixels)
> WinSAT is Official : Yes
> Running: WinSAT Direct3D Assessment v1.0.0.0 '-v'
> Run Time 00:00:00.56
> Total Run Time 00:00:02.82
> The System processor power policy was restored
> Composition restarte

**********************************
AND IN A WINSAT.LOG shows the failed assessement

19374388 (2820) - winsat\main.cpp:2120: > power policy set to maximum.
19379317 (2820) - winsat\main.cpp:2756: > IsOfficial=TRUE IsFormal=TRUE
IsMoobe=FALSE RanOverTs=FALSE RanOnbatteries=FALSE
19379333 (2820) - winsat\main.cpp:1161: > Running Assessment: features ''
19380472 (2820) - winsat\main.cpp:1436: > Assessment completed
19380487 (2820) - winsat\main.cpp:1161: > Running Assessment: graphicsformal
' -wddm'
19381049 (2820) - winsat\main.cpp:1390: > DWM Assessment completed
19381065 (2820) - winsat\main.cpp:1406: > DWM Assessment results processing
FAILED
19381065 (2820) - winsat\main.cpp:1430: > Assessment FAILED due to an error
19381065 (2820) - winsat\main.cpp:1161: > Running Assessment: media '-input
{winsatencode.wmv} -encode {winsat.prx}'

--
R. E. Creagh, MD FACS
Heartburn Centre Des Moines
HEARTBURN?? WHY??!!
Demand a Peace Conclave!

NormCameron

Re: Experience Index problem

The missing inf file is a problem. Did you install the driver as an
Administrator, always a good idea as Vista won't overwrite system files
unless you do. However, if the system runs OK then I probably wouldn't
stress about the problem with the exp. score, short of a reinstall of
Vista there is not much you can do. And 4.3 is about right for your
system. Don't pay too much attention to the Windows Experience Index,
it is only a guide. The thing is - does your system do what it should
and is it working reliably, too much fiddling can get you into deep
trouble, just look around the forums.

--
NormCameron