strange Vista behavior that just started---screen blackouts withno relation to UAC

Howard Haber

strange Vista behavior that just started---screen blackouts withno relation to UAC
I have noticed a particularly strange behavior on my windows vista
system (a Dell Optiplex GX270), that just started recently. Here it
is. When I call up the start menu (not the classic style), and my mouse
hovers in that region of the screen for about 10 seconds or so (whether
I am looking through program lists or whatever), the whole screen will
suddenly go dark for about five seconds (for no apparent reason) and
then return to the previous state.

This is of course quite frustrating when I am going through the program
list looking for a particular item. This blackout can occur a few times
before I finally reach my target in the start menu. This seems to have
nothing to do with UAC (which is turned on). This odd behavior started
after I replaced my Dell wired keyboard and mouse with a wireless
keyboard and mouse (Logitech).

In case the latter has something to do with this, I plugged in a wired
USB mouse and removed the wireless mouse from the room. However, the
same problem remained. (Windows update recently upgraded to Vista SP1,
but this was a few weeks ago, so there does not seem to be any connection.)

I can find no help on the web, and I don't even know where to begin to
troubleshoot this problem.

If anyone out there has any suggestions (short of wiping my disk clean
and starting all over again), I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Howard
Mike

Re: strange Vista behavior that just started---screen blackouts with no relation to UAC
Is your logitech software loading at startup? Run msconfig from the start
menu. Click the Startup tab and look for logitech programs. Uncheck the
logitech modules. Click on OK. Then reboot. Your logitech programs and
drivers should not be running now. See if that isolates the problem to
logitech. If so see:
http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/1501...-problems.html ,
and google for more with "logitech", "wireless", "problem", "hang", etc.
You'll probably find an answer. Also go to the logitech site and make sure
you have the latest software and drivers for your devices.

"Howard Haber" <haber@ucsc.edu> wrote in message
>I have noticed a particularly strange behavior on my windows vista system
>(a Dell Optiplex GX270), that just started recently. Here it is. When I
>call up the start menu (not the classic style), and my mouse hovers in that
>region of the screen for about 10 seconds or so (whether I am looking
>through program lists or whatever), the whole screen will suddenly go dark
>for about five seconds (for no apparent reason) and then return to the
>previous state.
>
> This is of course quite frustrating when I am going through the program
> list looking for a particular item. This blackout can occur a few times
> before I finally reach my target in the start menu. This seems to have
> nothing to do with UAC (which is turned on). This odd behavior started
> after I replaced my Dell wired keyboard and mouse with a wireless keyboard
> and mouse (Logitech).
>
> In case the latter has something to do with this, I plugged in a wired USB
> mouse and removed the wireless mouse from the room. However, the same
> problem remained. (Windows update recently upgraded to Vista SP1, but
> this was a few weeks ago, so there does not seem to be any connection.)
>
> I can find no help on the web, and I don't even know where to begin to
> troubleshoot this problem.
>
> If anyone out there has any suggestions (short of wiping my disk clean and
> starting all over again), I would be most grateful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Howard

Howard Haber

Re: strange Vista behavior that just started---screen blackouts withno relation to UAC
Mike--
Thanks for your response. Sadly, it seems that I was unable to
establish any relation between the Logitech and the problem. I removed
the drivers from the startup as you suggested, and I unplugged the
Logitech device that broadcasts to the keyboard and mouse. I plugged in
an ordinary USB (wired) mouse, and rebooted.
The problem still remains, although sometimes it takes a few
minutes to trigger it. To recap, I click on the start menu and hover
with the mouse over the various menu items. Eventually that triggers
the screen blackout, which lasts roughly 5 seconds. This is driving me
nuts. Particularly, when I want to scroll down the list of programs to
find something.
Am I doomed to wiping the disk clean and starting over again
with vista? I do not have the time nor the patience to remove
individual software programs (or drivers) one by one to try to find the
culprit.

--Howard

P.S. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (with the latest vista
driver), and my monitor is (which is a Sun 24.1" LCD Monitor v4)
uses a generic PnP Monitor driver for vista. I installed the monitor
five months ago, so it has been working fine long before this problem
surfaced.

Mike wrote:
> Is your logitech software loading at startup? Run msconfig from the
> start menu. Click the Startup tab and look for logitech programs.
> Uncheck the logitech modules. Click on OK. Then reboot. Your logitech
> programs and drivers should not be running now. See if that isolates
> the problem to logitech. If so see:
> http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/1501...-problems.html
> , and google for more with "logitech", "wireless", "problem", "hang",
> etc. You'll probably find an answer. Also go to the logitech site and
> make sure you have the latest software and drivers for your devices.
>

> "Howard Haber" <haber@ucsc.edu> wrote in message
>> I have noticed a particularly strange behavior on my windows vista
>> system (a Dell Optiplex GX270), that just started recently. Here it
>> is. When I call up the start menu (not the classic style), and my
>> mouse hovers in that region of the screen for about 10 seconds or so
>> (whether I am looking through program lists or whatever), the whole
>> screen will suddenly go dark for about five seconds (for no apparent
>> reason) and then return to the previous state.
>>
>> This is of course quite frustrating when I am going through the
>> program list looking for a particular item. This blackout can occur a
>> few times before I finally reach my target in the start menu. This
>> seems to have nothing to do with UAC (which is turned on). This odd
>> behavior started after I replaced my Dell wired keyboard and mouse
>> with a wireless keyboard and mouse (Logitech).
>>
>> In case the latter has something to do with this, I plugged in a wired
>> USB mouse and removed the wireless mouse from the room. However, the
>> same problem remained. (Windows update recently upgraded to Vista
>> SP1, but this was a few weeks ago, so there does not seem to be any
>> connection.)
>>
>> I can find no help on the web, and I don't even know where to begin to
>> troubleshoot this problem.
>>
>> If anyone out there has any suggestions (short of wiping my disk clean
>> and starting all over again), I would be most grateful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Howard

Frenchy

Howard Haber wrote:
> Mike--
> Thanks for your response. Sadly, it seems that I was unable to
> establish any relation between the Logitech and the problem. I removed
> the drivers from the startup as you suggested, and I unplugged the
> Logitech device that broadcasts to the keyboard and mouse. I plugged in
> an ordinary USB (wired) mouse, and rebooted.
> The problem still remains, although sometimes it takes a few
> minutes to trigger it. To recap, I click on the start menu and hover
> with the mouse over the various menu items. Eventually that triggers
> the screen blackout, which lasts roughly 5 seconds. This is driving me
> nuts. Particularly, when I want to scroll down the list of programs to
> find something.
> Am I doomed to wiping the disk clean and starting over again with
> vista? I do not have the time nor the patience to remove individual
> software programs (or drivers) one by one to try to find the culprit.
>
> --Howard
>
> P.S. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (with the latest vista
> driver), and my monitor is (which is a Sun 24.1" LCD Monitor v4)
> uses a generic PnP Monitor driver for vista. I installed the monitor
> five months ago, so it has been working fine long before this problem
> surfaced.

That is a REALLY old low end card driving a 24" Monitor?? You need to
turn off all the eye candy in Vista to run that card on that monitor

It maybe the "latest' drivers are not necessarily the best and you maybe
better to revert to an earlier driver.

Did you let Windows update the video card driver or download from the
NVIDIA web site?

Frenchy

> Mike wrote:
>> Is your logitech software loading at startup? Run msconfig from the
>> start menu. Click the Startup tab and look for logitech programs.
>> Uncheck the logitech modules. Click on OK. Then reboot. Your logitech
>> programs and drivers should not be running now. See if that isolates
>> the problem to logitech. If so see:
>> http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/1501...-problems.html
>> , and google for more with "logitech", "wireless", "problem", "hang",
>> etc. You'll probably find an answer. Also go to the logitech site and
>> make sure you have the latest software and drivers for your devices.
>>

>> "Howard Haber" <haber@ucsc.edu> wrote in message
>>> I have noticed a particularly strange behavior on my windows vista
>>> system (a Dell Optiplex GX270), that just started recently. Here it
>>> is. When I call up the start menu (not the classic style), and my
>>> mouse hovers in that region of the screen for about 10 seconds or so
>>> (whether I am looking through program lists or whatever), the whole
>>> screen will suddenly go dark for about five seconds (for no apparent
>>> reason) and then return to the previous state.
>>>
>>> This is of course quite frustrating when I am going through the
>>> program list looking for a particular item. This blackout can occur
>>> a few times before I finally reach my target in the start menu. This
>>> seems to have nothing to do with UAC (which is turned on). This odd
>>> behavior started after I replaced my Dell wired keyboard and mouse
>>> with a wireless keyboard and mouse (Logitech).
>>>
>>> In case the latter has something to do with this, I plugged in a
>>> wired USB mouse and removed the wireless mouse from the room.
>>> However, the same problem remained. (Windows update recently
>>> upgraded to Vista SP1, but this was a few weeks ago, so there does
>>> not seem to be any connection.)
>>>
>>> I can find no help on the web, and I don't even know where to begin
>>> to troubleshoot this problem.
>>>
>>> If anyone out there has any suggestions (short of wiping my disk
>>> clean and starting all over again), I would be most grateful.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Howard

SIW2

Howard Haber;856444 Wrote:
> Mike--
> Thanks for your response. Sadly, it seems that I was unable to
> establish any relation between the Logitech and the problem. I removed
> the drivers from the startup as you suggested, and I unplugged the
> Logitech device that broadcasts to the keyboard and mouse. I plugged
> in
> an ordinary USB (wired) mouse, and rebooted.
> The problem still remains, although sometimes it takes a few
> minutes to trigger it. To recap, I click on the start menu and hover
> with the mouse over the various menu items. Eventually that triggers
> the screen blackout, which lasts roughly 5 seconds. This is driving me
> nuts. Particularly, when I want to scroll down the list of programs to
> find something.
> Am I doomed to wiping the disk clean and starting over again
> with vista? I do not have the time nor the patience to remove
> individual software programs (or drivers) one by one to try to find the
> culprit.
>
> --Howard
>
> P.S. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (with the latest vista
> driver), and my monitor is (which is a Sun 24.1" LCD Monitor v4)
> uses a generic PnP Monitor driver for vista. I installed the monitor
> five months ago, so it has been working fine long before this problem
> surfaced.
>

> Mike wrote:> > >
> > > Is your logitech software loading at startup? Run msconfig from the
> > > start menu. Click the Startup tab and look for logitech programs.
> > > Uncheck the logitech modules. Click on OK. Then reboot. Your

> > logitech
> > > programs and drivers should not be running now. See if that isolates
> > > the problem to logitech. If so see:
> > >

> > http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/1501...-problems.html
> > > , and google for more with "logitech", "wireless", "problem", "hang",
> > > etc. You'll probably find an answer. Also go to the logitech site

> > and
> > > make sure you have the latest software and drivers for your devices.
> > >

> > > "Howard Haber" <haber@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > news:%aGGk.2597$as4.1584@xxxxxx> > > > >
> > > it

> > > wired
> > > the

> > > clean

Hello Howard,

Before you get to the point of considering a clean reinstall , you may
like to try this

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Howard Haber

Re: strange Vista behavior that just started---screen blackouts withno relation to UAC
Hi Frenchy:
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I imagine that I have been
pushing my luck on the old video card. At the time I upgraded to Vista
in May, 2007 (long story, don't ask), I upgraded the video card driver
to a vista compatable version (it is dated 10/9/2006) from the NVIDIA
website. I checked that there is not a more recent update (and windows
agrees!). At the time, I was using a 20" Dell monitor (1600 x 1200
resolution) and I never had a problem. When I replaced it with the
current 24" Sun monitor (resolution: 1920 x 1200) in June, 2008,
everything seemed to work fine until a couple of weeks ago. I just
can't figure out what triggered the recent problem. The resolution
seems well within the specs of the video card according to the NVIDIA
online documentation.
It seems that you may be suggesting that it would be wise to
upgrade the video card. But, I appreciate any other comments that you
can provide.

Thanks,

Howard

Frenchy wrote:

> That is a REALLY old low end card driving a 24" Monitor?? You need to
> turn off all the eye candy in Vista to run that card on that monitor
>
> It maybe the "latest' drivers are not necessarily the best and you maybe
> better to revert to an earlier driver.
>
> Did you let Windows update the video card driver or download from the
> NVIDIA web site?
>
> Frenchy
>

>> Howard Haber wrote:
>> Mike--
>> Thanks for your response. Sadly, it seems that I was unable to
>> establish any relation between the Logitech and the problem. I removed
>> the drivers from the startup as you suggested, and I unplugged the
>> Logitech device that broadcasts to the keyboard and mouse. I plugged
>> in an ordinary USB (wired) mouse, and rebooted.
>> The problem still remains, although sometimes it takes a few
>> minutes to trigger it. To recap, I click on the start menu and hover
>> with the mouse over the various menu items. Eventually that triggers
>> the screen blackout, which lasts roughly 5 seconds. This is driving
>> me nuts. Particularly, when I want to scroll down the list of
>> programs to find something.
>> Am I doomed to wiping the disk clean and starting over again
>> with vista? I do not have the time nor the patience to remove
>> individual software programs (or drivers) one by one to try to find
>> the culprit.
>>
>> --Howard
>>
>> P.S. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (with the latest vista
>> driver), and my monitor is (which is a Sun 24.1" LCD Monitor v4)
>> uses a generic PnP Monitor driver for vista. I installed the monitor
>> five months ago, so it has been working fine long before this problem
>> surfaced.
>>

>> Mike wrote:
>>> Is your logitech software loading at startup? Run msconfig from the
>>> start menu. Click the Startup tab and look for logitech programs.
>>> Uncheck the logitech modules. Click on OK. Then reboot. Your
>>> logitech programs and drivers should not be running now. See if that
>>> isolates the problem to logitech. If so see:
>>> http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/1501...-problems.html
>>> , and google for more with "logitech", "wireless", "problem", "hang",
>>> etc. You'll probably find an answer. Also go to the logitech site
>>> and make sure you have the latest software and drivers for your devices.

Paul Montgomery

Re: strange Vista behavior that just started---screen blackouts with no relation to UAC
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 02:14:50 -0700, Howard Haber <haber@ucsc.edu>
wrote:

>Hi Frenchy:
> Thanks for the comments. Yes, I imagine that I have been
>pushing my luck on the old video card. At the time I upgraded to Vista
>in May, 2007 (long story, don't ask), I upgraded the video card driver
>to a vista compatable version (it is dated 10/9/2006) from the NVIDIA
>website. I checked that there is not a more recent update (and windows
>agrees!). At the time, I was using a 20" Dell monitor (1600 x 1200
>resolution) and I never had a problem. When I replaced it with the
>current 24" Sun monitor (resolution: 1920 x 1200) in June, 2008,
>everything seemed to work fine until a couple of weeks ago. I just
>can't figure out what triggered the recent problem. The resolution
>seems well within the specs of the video card according to the NVIDIA
>online documentation.

When I upgraded to a 22" Samsung, the monitor came with a driver card.
Did yours? Have you used it?

> It seems that you may be suggesting that it would be wise to
>upgrade the video card. But, I appreciate any other comments that you
>can provide.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Howard
>

>Frenchy wrote:
> >
>> That is a REALLY old low end card driving a 24" Monitor?? You need to
>> turn off all the eye candy in Vista to run that card on that monitor
>>
>> It maybe the "latest' drivers are not necessarily the best and you maybe
>> better to revert to an earlier driver.
>>
>> Did you let Windows update the video card driver or download from the
>> NVIDIA web site?
>>
>> Frenchy
> >

>>> Howard Haber wrote:
>>> Mike--
>>> Thanks for your response. Sadly, it seems that I was unable to
>>> establish any relation between the Logitech and the problem. I removed
>>> the drivers from the startup as you suggested, and I unplugged the
>>> Logitech device that broadcasts to the keyboard and mouse. I plugged
>>> in an ordinary USB (wired) mouse, and rebooted.
>>> The problem still remains, although sometimes it takes a few
>>> minutes to trigger it. To recap, I click on the start menu and hover
>>> with the mouse over the various menu items. Eventually that triggers
>>> the screen blackout, which lasts roughly 5 seconds. This is driving
>>> me nuts. Particularly, when I want to scroll down the list of
>>> programs to find something.
>>> Am I doomed to wiping the disk clean and starting over again
>>> with vista? I do not have the time nor the patience to remove
>>> individual software programs (or drivers) one by one to try to find
>>> the culprit.
>>>
>>> --Howard
>>>
>>> P.S. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (with the latest vista
>>> driver), and my monitor is (which is a Sun 24.1" LCD Monitor v4)
>>> uses a generic PnP Monitor driver for vista. I installed the monitor
>>> five months ago, so it has been working fine long before this problem
>>> surfaced.

Paul Montgomery

Re: strange Vista behavior that just started---screen blackouts with no relation to UAC
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:12:01 -0500, Paul Montgomery
<i.m.nonnymous@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>When I upgraded to a 22" Samsung, the monitor came with a driver card.
>Did yours? Have you used it?

Should be driver CD, not driver card.
Howard Haber

Re: strange Vista behavior that just started---screen blackouts withno relation to UAC
Hi Paul:
The sun 24.1" LCD monitor did not come with a driver CD.
Actually, the monitor was sold as part of a solaris system, although Sun
did advertise the compatibility with linux and windows operating systems.
I have searched the sun website, but cannot find any driver
files specifically for their monitor. Perhaps a phone call may be required.

--Howard

Paul Montgomery wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:12:01 -0500, Paul Montgomery
> <i.m.nonnymous@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When I upgraded to a 22" Samsung, the monitor came with a driver card.
>> Did yours? Have you used it?

> Should be driver CD, not driver card.

Frenchy

Re: strange Vista behavior that just started---screen blackouts withno relation to UAC
I guess you have trolled through Google?
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=dri...ient=firefox-a

For US$100 you can get a really good NVIDIA Card to save yourself some
hassle, BUT, what condition is your power supply in? To drive your
current monitor will be pulling some power to your system, is your Power
supply perhaps on the way out? What wattage do you have? It may
explain the fact it has 'just started'

I have 1200 W PS for a high end machine but you should have 350 w
minimum for modern machines and their demands

Frenchy