Help with Restore point creation

William Beard

Help with Restore point creation
I have the Vista Home Premium. When I go to the "Control Panel...System and
Maintenance...System" and click on the "System protection" Task, at the
bottom of the System Protection window it says "Restore point creation
disabled by Group Policy."

What do I do to fix this? Vista recoveries seems to be based on
automatically creating Restore points...Thanks.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Help with Restore point creation
Are you a home user with a single computer? Or are you working in a business
that has IT administration?

"William Beard" <wabeard6596@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have the Vista Home Premium. When I go to the "Control Panel...System
>and Maintenance...System" and click on the "System protection" Task, at the
>bottom of the System Protection window it says "Restore point creation
>disabled by Group Policy."
>
> What do I do to fix this? Vista recoveries seems to be based on
> automatically creating Restore points...Thanks.

William Beard

Re: Help with Restore point creation
Jill, as you say, I am a home user. I teach English overseas. I have a
stand alone Dual Core ACPl x86-based PC running the Vista Home Premium OS.
I am behind a router to a DSL or Broadband Internet connection (being
overseas I'm not sure which). If you need further clarification, I'll be
happy to reply.

The system restore function has never functioned correctly from the first
day I got the computer (it's new just like the OS). When attempting a
System Restore, it kept telling me that there must have been a power
interruption (or such). When I found the System Protection tab, everything
looked fine until the window stops searching for the computer's drives, then
the System Protection tab changes to say the "Group Policy" will not allow
me to create a System Backup and of course the HP version of Vista won't let
me look at the Group Policy even with a gpedit.msc file. Hope that helps
with your diagnostics, Jill. I need your help very much.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are you a home user with a single computer? Or are you working in a
> business that has IT administration?

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "William Beard" <wabeard6596@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have the Vista Home Premium. When I go to the "Control Panel...System
>>and Maintenance...System" and click on the "System protection" Task, at
>>the bottom of the System Protection window it says "Restore point creation
>>disabled by Group Policy."
>>
>> What do I do to fix this? Vista recoveries seems to be based on
>> automatically creating Restore points...Thanks.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Help with Restore point creation
I just wanted to make sure that your computer isn't part of a domain where
System Restore is disabled via group policy. :-)

OK, can you give me the exact wording of the error you get about the power
interruption? Is there also an error code? Are you connected to a UPS
(uninterruptible power supply) by chance?

Finally, here is the registry location of the System Restore group policy
setting. Can you check whether this key is present? (Also, if you need
instructions on accessing the regsitry, let me know).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows
NT\SystemRestore\DisableSR

> Jill, as you say, I am a home user. I teach English overseas. I have a
> stand alone Dual Core ACPl x86-based PC running the Vista Home Premium OS.
> I am behind a router to a DSL or Broadband Internet connection (being
> overseas I'm not sure which). If you need further clarification, I'll be
> happy to reply.
>
> The system restore function has never functioned correctly from the first
> day I got the computer (it's new just like the OS). When attempting a
> System Restore, it kept telling me that there must have been a power
> interruption (or such). When I found the System Protection tab,
> everything looked fine until the window stops searching for the computer's
> drives, then the System Protection tab changes to say the "Group Policy"
> will not allow me to create a System Backup and of course the HP version
> of Vista won't let me look at the Group Policy even with a gpedit.msc
> file. Hope that helps with your diagnostics, Jill. I need your help very
> much.
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Are you a home user with a single computer? Or are you working in a
>> business that has IT administration?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "William Beard" <wabeard6596@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have the Vista Home Premium. When I go to the "Control Panel...System
>>>and Maintenance...System" and click on the "System protection" Task, at
>>>the bottom of the System Protection window it says "Restore point
>>>creation disabled by Group Policy."
>>>
>>> What do I do to fix this? Vista recoveries seems to be based on
>>> automatically creating Restore points...Thanks.

William Beard

Re: Help with Restore point creation
Jill,

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows
> NT\SystemRestore\DisableSR

NO such listing. But, there is a ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows
NT\SystemRestore\DisableConfig REG_DWORD 0

There is also a ...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\DeviceInstall\Settings\DisableSystemRestore
REG_DWORD 0

If that helps.

No, on the UPS.

As for the exact wording, I'll have to get back to you on that.
I have my computer doing something now and I can't interrupt it and shutdown
to get you your exact wording in the System Restore.

>I just wanted to make sure that your computer isn't part of a domain where
>System Restore is disabled via group policy. :-)
>
> OK, can you give me the exact wording of the error you get about the power
> interruption? Is there also an error code? Are you connected to a UPS
> (uninterruptible power supply) by chance?
>
> Finally, here is the registry location of the System Restore group policy
> setting. Can you check whether this key is present? (Also, if you need
> instructions on accessing the regsitry, let me know).
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows
> NT\SystemRestore\DisableSR

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

William Beard

Re: Help with Restore point creation
Jill,

The message details you wanted are these:

System Restore failed due to an unspecified error. Transaction support
within the specific file system resource manager is not started or was
shutdown due to an error (0x80071A91).

There was some other verbiage, but this is the meat of the error report.
This is not the same verbiage I got before, because I probably changed the
status of a service or something in the interim. I would have to remove and
reinstall Vista to put it back to where it was. I'm will to do that, if you
say so. That was what I would have done back in the days before Microsoft
started counting the number of times you reloaded Windows. It was real fun
back then. Feeding thirty for forty disks into the A: drive to get Windows
back up. What fun!

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just wanted to make sure that your computer isn't part of a domain where
>System Restore is disabled via group policy. :-)
>
> OK, can you give me the exact wording of the error you get about the power
> interruption? Is there also an error code? Are you connected to a UPS
> (uninterruptible power supply) by chance?
>
> Finally, here is the registry location of the System Restore group policy
> setting. Can you check whether this key is present? (Also, if you need
> instructions on accessing the regsitry, let me know).
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows
> NT\SystemRestore\DisableSR

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Help with Restore point creation
William, it sounds like you've got a number of problems going on here. I
could collect some logs from you and ask the System Restore team for
troubleshooting advice, but this could take some time. If doing a clean
install is an option, you might want to consider this. I've seen a couple
customers report some really obscure errors like this and reinstalling fixed
the problem for them. This of course wouldn't help us find the root cause,
but it sounds like you've done some uninstalling of AV tools and the like
and I wonder if your computer is just in an unstable state right now.

> Jill,
>
> The message details you wanted are these:
>
> System Restore failed due to an unspecified error. Transaction support
> within the specific file system resource manager is not started or was
> shutdown due to an error (0x80071A91).
>
> There was some other verbiage, but this is the meat of the error report.
> This is not the same verbiage I got before, because I probably changed the
> status of a service or something in the interim. I would have to remove
> and reinstall Vista to put it back to where it was. I'm will to do that,
> if you say so. That was what I would have done back in the days before
> Microsoft started counting the number of times you reloaded Windows. It
> was real fun back then. Feeding thirty for forty disks into the A: drive
> to get Windows back up. What fun!
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I just wanted to make sure that your computer isn't part of a domain where
>>System Restore is disabled via group policy. :-)
>>
>> OK, can you give me the exact wording of the error you get about the
>> power interruption? Is there also an error code? Are you connected to a
>> UPS (uninterruptible power supply) by chance?
>>
>> Finally, here is the registry location of the System Restore group policy
>> setting. Can you check whether this key is present? (Also, if you need
>> instructions on accessing the regsitry, let me know).
>>

>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows
>> NT\SystemRestore\DisableSR

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

William Beard

Re: Help with Restore point creation
Jill,

Unstable is a good word for it. OK, on your advise, I'll start over. I
just hope Microsoft doesn't freak-out. They don't seem to understand about
users starting over. They tend to think you're trying to cheat them. I'll
see you on the flipside and let you know if it worked. This may take a
couple of days. Thanks for working with me. Later, later..

> William, it sounds like you've got a number of problems going on here. I
> could collect some logs from you and ask the System Restore team for
> troubleshooting advice, but this could take some time. If doing a clean
> install is an option, you might want to consider this. I've seen a couple
> customers report some really obscure errors like this and reinstalling
> fixed the problem for them. This of course wouldn't help us find the root
> cause, but it sounds like you've done some uninstalling of AV tools and
> the like and I wonder if your computer is just in an unstable state right
> now.

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "William Beard" <wabeard6596@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Jill,
>>
>> The message details you wanted are these:
>>
>> System Restore failed due to an unspecified error. Transaction support
>> within the specific file system resource manager is not started or was
>> shutdown due to an error (0x80071A91).
>>
>> There was some other verbiage, but this is the meat of the error report.
>> This is not the same verbiage I got before, because I probably changed
>> the status of a service or something in the interim. I would have to
>> remove and reinstall Vista to put it back to where it was. I'm will to
>> do that, if you say so. That was what I would have done back in the days
>> before Microsoft started counting the number of times you reloaded
>> Windows. It was real fun back then. Feeding thirty for forty disks into
>> the A: drive to get Windows back up. What fun!
>>

>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I just wanted to make sure that your computer isn't part of a domain
>>>where System Restore is disabled via group policy. :-)
>>>
>>> OK, can you give me the exact wording of the error you get about the
>>> power interruption? Is there also an error code? Are you connected to a
>>> UPS (uninterruptible power supply) by chance?
>>>
>>> Finally, here is the registry location of the System Restore group
>>> policy setting. Can you check whether this key is present? (Also, if you
>>> need instructions on accessing the regsitry, let me know).
>>>

>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows
>>> NT\SystemRestore\DisableSR
>>>
>>> --
>>> rights.
>>>
>>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit
>>> our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

William Beard

Re: Help with Restore point creation
OK Jill...

It's done. I reinstalled Vista. In fact, the drive had been partitioned
(by the seller) so I removed the partition to insure a new clean drive C:.
The problem with the Group Policy is GONE. I can and did do a system
restore from a CD boot.

One problem, though!
I created three restore points myself, not counting the points the system
created. They all reported as successful completion. When the Window
opened to select the point to restore from, there were only four (4) points
listed. Both, from the selection from the System properties window, and
from the CD (reboot), only four choices were available.

I just now created a new point then checked the System properties and it
showed the new point in the queue and the count was five. I think that upon
rebooting (or shutting down), the system only keeps four of the latest
points and at least does not SHOW any others (I don't know if the system
actually deletes them or just doesn't show them.) even though there is room
in the window listing for maybe a dozen point to be displayed. I do not
know what the criteria is, but I have Vista a 232 (usable) GB Hard Drive.
I'm sure there is room for more than four or five restore points. In fact,
if nothing else, the system should have kept my original system point. So,
if need be, I could have returned the system files to their original
condition. Thereby, eliminating the need to reinstall in order to get the
system files back to their starting point.

Firstly, there should be space reserved for system backups just as the MFT
has non-movable continuous reserved disk space, so to should the system
backups have the same consideration. As for the size, it can be a
percentage of the disk space available (even user adjustable).

Secondly, if the queue for the points are restricted to four (for whatever
reason), then it would be a relatively simple programming job to keep the
first point and cycle the next three points.

Jill, I think this is an important point for all users who doesn't want to,
at some point, have to buy a new copy of Vista just because Microsoft put a
cap on reinstalls.

Lastly, if you would like me to post any of the Event Logs error that are
reoccurring, let me know. Oh, and by the way, I have NAV reinstalled and it
does not affect the system restore point function at all.

> Jill,
>
> Unstable is a good word for it. OK, on your advise, I'll start over. I
> just hope Microsoft doesn't freak-out. They don't seem to understand
> about users starting over. They tend to think you're trying to cheat
> them. I'll see you on the flipside and let you know if it worked. This
> may take a couple of days. Thanks for working with me. Later, later..

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Help with Restore point creation
William, glad to hear the reinstall worked for you. I hate to recommend
that, but in your case that's what I would've done myself.

You ask good questions about restore points. We've written up how this works
in our blog at
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/arc...ows-vista.aspx
(sorry for the long URL). This will tell you how to see how many restore
points you have, how much space they use, etc.

Are you using Ultimate version? If so, you could take a Complete PC Backup
of your newly configured computer and save it on DVD. This is a kind of
"point in time" image of your computer. Note that you could also save this
to hard disk, but we use incrementals for all but the newest image, so
eventually your very first Complete PC Backup will be purged as the restore
points age. See the above article for more info.