Vista won't start

Maccoy

Vista won't start

Having a problem with our HP laptop. All we get when turning on the unit
is the "Microsoft Corporation" traveling bar screen, and then the mouse
arrow pops up on a black screen, and that is the end of it. Have done
the hard drive and memory tests with both checking good. Can get to the
F11 Recovery screen, but not sure how to proceed on that screen w/o
losing (unfortunately not backed up) picture, music, and other important
files. Any potential help out there? Thanx!

--
Maccoy
Maccoy's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=561

Brink

Re: Vista won't start

Hello Maccoy,

You might see if doing a Startup Repair can fix the problem for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91...up-repair.html

Sinc you have a OEM computer, you may need to create a Recovery Disc
that you can use to do a Startup Repair with first.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/14...very-disc.html

If the above fails to help, then use this same Recovery Disc and try
doing a System Restore (Method Two in tutorial below) using a restore
point dated before this problem started.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Maccoy;853307 Wrote:
> Having a problem with our HP laptop. All we get when turning on the unit
> is the "Microsoft Corporation" traveling bar screen, and then the mouse
> arrow pops up on a black screen, and that is the end of it. Have done
> the hard drive and memory tests with both checking good. Can get to the
> F11 Recovery screen, but not sure how to proceed on that screen w/o
> losing (unfortunately not backed up) picture, music, and other
> important
> files. Any potential help out there? Thanx!
>

> --
> Maccoy
> Maccoy's Profile: 'Windows Vista Help Forum - View Profile: Maccoy'
> (http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=561)
> View this thread: 'Vista won't start - Windows Vista Help Forum'
> (http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23602)

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Malke

Re: Vista won't start
Maccoy wrote:

> Having a problem with our HP laptop. All we get when turning on the unit
> is the "Microsoft Corporation" traveling bar screen, and then the mouse
> arrow pops up on a black screen, and that is the end of it. Have done
> the hard drive and memory tests with both checking good. Can get to the
> F11 Recovery screen, but not sure how to proceed on that screen w/o
> losing (unfortunately not backed up) picture, music, and other important
> files. Any potential help out there? Thanx!

The very first thing to do is retrieve your data. That way no matter what
happens, you won't lose your stuff. And when this is all over, create and
*implement* a backup strategy to external media because Stuff Will Always
Happen.

Pull the laptop hard drive and put it in a USB external drive enclosure.
Attach this to a working computer and copy off your data.

Now you can try the HP recovery if you like. Read the instructions
carefully. Most of the HP recovery routines will give you a choice to save
your XP install or to do a destructive recovery which will return the
machine to factory condition.

Since I don't know the recent history of your machine, I can't guess the
underlying reason for the problem. Viruses/malware? Physical problems like
overheating, dropping it, etc.?

At the very least if the less destructive restore doesn't work, you can
restore to full factory condition. If you still get problems, then you know
hardware is at fault and can contact HP tech support for
repair/replacement.

If you can't do the work yourself (and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea), take the machine to a professional computer repair
shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!