Chkdsk

ssapounas

Chkdsk

I am currently running Vista Home Edition, and when I went to back up I
got an error messgage that said something in the effect of corrupt
operating system. I ran chkdsk to reveal a good bit of bad sectors,
however when I run chkdsk /f I get a message that says unable to lock
drive. Anyone have any suggesstions?

Scott:sick:

--
ssapounas
Frenchy

Re: Chkdsk
ssapounas wrote:
> I am currently running Vista Home Edition, and when I went to back up I
> got an error messgage that said something in the effect of corrupt
> operating system. I ran chkdsk to reveal a good bit of bad sectors,
> however when I run chkdsk /f I get a message that says unable to lock
> drive. Anyone have any suggesstions?
>
> Scott:sick:

Go to ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES and then You will see the COMMAND
PROMPT. Right click on it and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

Then in the new screen type

CHKDSK /R/F

When it says "Do you want to schedule this at next start', tap the Y key
and enter.
Then reboot to restart as normal and now CHKDSK runs. Go and have a few
beers, it takes a while and it reboots at the end with everything fixed

Frenchy

Paul Montgomery

Re: Chkdsk
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:07:50 -0500, ssapounas <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>I am currently running Vista Home Edition, and when I went to back up I
>got an error messgage that said something in the effect of corrupt
>operating system. I ran chkdsk to reveal a good bit of bad sectors,
>however when I run chkdsk /f I get a message that says unable to lock
>drive. Anyone have any suggesstions?

Start CHKDSK from within Windows and it will run on the next restart.

Computer - Right-click the drive - Properties - Tools.
ssapounas

Re: Chkdsk

Thanks Frenchy, the wierd thing is I do answer Y hit enter and get a cmd
prompt back. Then I reset, and I get the option to select the operating
system I wish to run, CHKDSK will not run even on reboot, I can't figure
out why.

Scott

--
ssapounas
Frenchy

Re: Chkdsk
ssapounas wrote:
> Thanks Frenchy, the wierd thing is I do answer Y hit enter and get a cmd
> prompt back. Then I reset, and I get the option to select the operating
> system I wish to run, CHKDSK will not run even on reboot, I can't figure
> out why.
>
> Scott
>
> Ummmm. It is getting trickier. It maybe that key Operating files are

damaged.

Try this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Note the need to right click the command prompt and run as an administrator.

If that doesn't fix things, you may need to back up all data and insert
the Vista disk and do a Repair in place. Note if you have SP1 installed
but only have a normal vista disk, you will be forced to do a full install.

Frenchy
lindamoran57

Re: Chkdsk

I tore my hair out over this problem today, and finally found a solution
that worked for me.

This time when I scheduled the chkdsk (I used the command prompt but I
don't think that would have mattered), I then ran msconfig from an
elevated prompt, selected "boot" and selected safe mode.

Then I clicked OK and rebooted. Chkdsk worked correctly in safe mode.

Linda

--
lindamoran57