Slow and sluggish

Chris B.

Slow and sluggish
Just bought a new HP Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium, 3GB of RAM and a
AMD Turion x2 Dual Core Mobile ZM-80. It is connected to the ADSL wirelessly
via a router. I have turned off the trial version of Norton and am now
relying on Windows Defender to protect my system. I don't have any programs

Is anybody else having this problem? Is Vista just really slow?

For example, Windows Mail takes forever to open and when you ask for a new
message to be created the new message window opens quickly but there no no
"type" for about 15-30 seconds and I can't do any typing. It is also very
slow at sending mail.

Hoping someone can help.
Paul Montgomery

Re: Slow and sluggish
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:26:00 -0700, Chris B.
<ChrisB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Just bought a new HP Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium, 3GB of RAM and a
>AMD Turion x2 Dual Core Mobile ZM-80. It is connected to the ADSL wirelessly
>via a router. I have turned off the trial version of Norton and am now
>relying on Windows Defender to protect my system. I don't have any programs
>
>Is anybody else having this problem? Is Vista just really slow?
>
>For example, Windows Mail takes forever to open and when you ask for a new
>message to be created the new message window opens quickly but there no no
>"type" for about 15-30 seconds and I can't do any typing. It is also very
>slow at sending mail.
>
>Hoping someone can help.

HP Support would be the place to go since it's a brand new machine.

Get on record for warranty purposes so they know you are having
problems.
Anoop Vishwakarma

Re: Slow and sluggish
That should not happen.

I run Vista Ultimate on a AMD Turion64 1.8G, with 1.2GB RAM - it still works
pretty fast (nowhere near slow)
And my laptop did not even come with vista - i installed it myself.

Maybe you have some settings that have gone wrong (maybe even before you
used it?) As you have it new, you may not have customized it yet or saved
any files on it... the best way would be to just re-install VISTA and don't
install all the programs at the same time. Use it for a few hours and then
install, one at a time, what you need. that way you will be able to tell if
any of the programs is making it slow

Also, refer to the below link before you reinstall - this may help

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...sable_1.htm l

Thanks
Anoop

"Chris B." <ChrisB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just bought a new HP Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium, 3GB of RAM
> and a
> AMD Turion x2 Dual Core Mobile ZM-80. It is connected to the ADSL
> wirelessly
> via a router. I have turned off the trial version of Norton and am now
> relying on Windows Defender to protect my system. I don't have any
> programs
>
> Is anybody else having this problem? Is Vista just really slow?
>
> For example, Windows Mail takes forever to open and when you ask for a new
> message to be created the new message window opens quickly but there no no
> "type" for about 15-30 seconds and I can't do any typing. It is also very
> slow at sending mail.
>
> Hoping someone can help.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Slow and sluggish
"Chris B." <ChrisB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just bought a new HP Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium, 3GB of RAM
> and a
> AMD Turion x2 Dual Core Mobile ZM-80. It is connected to the ADSL
> wirelessly
> via a router. I have turned off the trial version of Norton and am now
> relying on Windows Defender to protect my system. I don't have any
> programs
>
> Is anybody else having this problem? Is Vista just really slow?
>
> For example, Windows Mail takes forever to open and when you ask for a new
> message to be created the new message window opens quickly but there no no
> "type" for about 15-30 seconds and I can't do any typing. It is also very
> slow at sending mail.
>
> Hoping someone can help.

Control Panel > Performance Information > Advanced Tools..

Run through some of the processes to determine what is happening..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..