Which is good backup for VIsta

chas

Which is good backup for VIsta
I have three choices. Vista's backup , Norton 360 backup - if I don't
extend the free trial can I still get my backup back?, and OneTouch
backup that came with my Maxtor external drive.
Any thoughts on choice comparisons?
Thanks,
Chas
Frenchy

Re: Which is good backup for VIsta
chas wrote:
> I have three choices. Vista's backup , Norton 360 backup - if I don't
> extend the free trial can I still get my backup back?, and OneTouch
> backup that came with my Maxtor external drive.
> Any thoughts on choice comparisons?
> Thanks,
> Chas

I have been using Rollback Rx for the last 2 months and it is superb and
saved my bacon 2-3 times while troubleshooting some Task Event Manager
errors.

http://www.horizondatasys.com/169614.ihtml

Daily backups take a few seconds and a full system total backup to an
external HD is fast and doesn't take up the space of other programs.

I am so happy with this I have bought some Multiple licenses for all my
home PC's

They have a 30 day free trial, so you can assess it yourself.

Frenchy

dgmacmi

"chas" <no@emailreply.please> wrote in message
news:5IudnYwvSur8kXjVnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
>I have three choices. Vista's backup , Norton 360 backup - if I don't
>extend the free trial can I still get my backup back?, and OneTouch backup
>that came with my Maxtor external drive.
> Any thoughts on choice comparisons?
> Thanks,
> Chas

Vista Backup in Vista Ultimate does a full system incremental backup that
can be used to restore your computer. In other Vista versions, Vista Backup
does only file backup.

For full system image backup using either full backup, differential backup
or incremental backup suggest you consider:
Acronis True Image 11
Norton Ghost

IMO. I prefer Acronis True Image 11 over prior versions of Norton Ghost. I
have not used the current version of Norton Ghost.

Don

John Barnett MVP

Re: Which is good backup for VIsta
If you are planning on backing up the whole of your hard drive, i.e.,
imaging, then my suggestion would be Acronis True Image. Sadly I'm not an
advocate of Norton products.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"chas" <no@emailreply.please> wrote in message
news:5IudnYwvSur8kXjVnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
> I have three choices. Vista's backup , Norton 360 backup - if I don't
> extend the free trial can I still get my backup back?, and OneTouch backup
> that came with my Maxtor external drive.
> Any thoughts on choice comparisons?
> Thanks,
> Chas

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Which is good backup for VIsta
"chas" <no@emailreply.please> wrote in message
news:5IudnYwvSur8kXjVnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
>I have three choices. Vista's backup , Norton 360 backup - if I don't
>extend the free trial can I still get my backup back?, and OneTouch backup
>that came with my Maxtor external drive.
> Any thoughts on choice comparisons?
> Thanks,
> Chas

Why not use the One Touch software? It is full version and has nothing
whatsoever to do with Symantec..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

chas

Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
> "chas" <no@emailreply.please> wrote in message
> news:5IudnYwvSur8kXjVnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
>> I have three choices. Vista's backup , Norton 360 backup - if I don't
>> extend the free trial can I still get my backup back?, and OneTouch
>> backup that came with my Maxtor external drive.
>> Any thoughts on choice comparisons?
>> Thanks,
>> Chas

> Why not use the One Touch software? It is full version and has nothing
> whatsoever to do with Symantec..

The main thing is it doesn't seem to have an automatic backup schedule
available.
Dyndrilliac

Re: Which is good backup for VIsta
I agree with John Barnett, Acronis True Image is my backup software of
choice. It is reliable, has a sheduling system, and you can adjust the
compression level of the backup archives for most space or quickest process
or a blend of both. Also, it supports full backups, incremental backups,
differential backups, and you can exclude files and folders from the backup
process as well as password protect your backup archives. Also, the
scheduler allows you to set it to validate the backup archives once they
have been created and will even log itself into Windows to perform the
backup process if you supply it with administrator credentials.