Full PC Backup Problems

Doopus

Full PC Backup Problems

I'm running Vista Ultimate 32. I have two drives. Disk 0 is
partitioned as follows: C: (system disk) = 20Gb, D: = 80 Gb, F: = 20
Gb. All partitions on Disk 0 are Dynamic. Disk 1 has only 1 partition
(E = 120Gb and it is Basic.

Eventually, Vista filled up my C: drive. I tried several different
things to clear space on C:, but nothing seemed to work for long. I
was unable to extend my C: drive.

I made the decision to do a Vista Full PC Backup (drives C, D, E, F) to
an external USB HD (G which completed successfully. I then
reformatted/partitioned Disk 0 as follows: C:= 40, D:= 40, F:=40.
They are now Basic, not Dynamic.

When I try to run the Full PC Restore, it does not find an existing OS
(since I reformatted C). I don't think this is a serious issue, since
I am using my Vista install CD. It does find my backup on the external
HD...but it sees it as Drive E.
I think this is the problem because it see the location of the backup
as E:, but the list of Disks to Restore includes E: (which should be
Disk 1 in my system). When I try to run the restore, I get a wonky
error (can't remember the exact verbage ) about %1 or %2 not found.

How can I designate my external HD as a different drive (like G? Is
there something else I'm doing wrong? Can I reinstall Vista to my C:
drive, then run the Full PC restore from within Vista?

My only other alternative is to reinstall Vista from scratch. If
that's the case, is there someway for me to restore specific
files/folders from my Full PC Backup image on the external HD?

--
Doopus
AJR

Re: Full PC Backup Problems
Unless you plan to use RAID configurations, basic disks asre recommended -
technically dynamic disks are partitioned into volumes.

"> I made the decision to do a Vista Full PC Backup (drives C, D, E, F) to >
an external USB HD (G which completed successfully. I then >
reformatted/partitioned Disk 0 as follows: C:= 40, D:= 40, F:=40."

Note that backup restoration would be the original configuration.

"> When I try to run the Full PC Restore, it does not find an existing OS >
(since I reformatted C)."

Restoration must be from the option presented booting from the Vista DVD.

"> I am using my Vista install CD. It does find my backup on the external
> HD...but it sees it as Drive E. > I think this is the problem because it

see the location of the backup
> as E:, but the list of Disks to Restore includes E: (which should be >
> Disk 1 in my system)."

Should not be a problem - drive designation is set and used by WIN PE which
runs the restore process

"When I try to run the restore, I get a wonky
> error (can't remember the exact verbage ) about %1 or %2 not found."

Important info - %1, %2 are place settings referencing files by default
locations.

"> My only other alternative is to reinstall Vista from scratch. If >
that's the case, is there someway for me to restore specific
> files/folders from my Full PC Backup image on the external HD?"

Installing Vista and restoring may work - however keep in mind it will be
the original configuration.

The backup format is VHD - virtual hard drive. You can use vdmount -
utility available from the Win 2003 resource kit on line to "mount" the
backup and access via Windows Explorer...

Doopus

Re: Full PC Backup Problems

AJR:

If I understand your response, you're saying that the backup
restoration would need to be the original configuration. I didn't
change the actual drive letters, just the size of the partitions. This
is necessary to give me more free space on the C: drive, which was the
original problem. Are you saying that change the sizes of the
partitions will not work?

--
Doopus
AJR

Re: Full PC Backup Problems
Complete PC creates a .vhd disk image file of an entire volume (drive) -
including partitioning.

However your situation is interesting - original disk layout (that which was
backed up) was dynamic - you stored the backup on an external drive - a
removeable external drive cannot be a dynamic disk, however I do not have
any knowledge as to whether or not a virtual drive existing on an external
drive can be dynamic.

I have utilized Complete PC Backup and Restore via external USB and internal
drives but in not a situation such as yours.

One of the third party utilites such as Acronis, Ghost or Partition Magic
may provide non-destructive conversion of a dynamic disk to basic.

Sorry I can't provide any assistance other than the information above. If
you solve the problem please post.

"Doopus" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> AJR:
>
> If I understand your response, you're saying that the backup
> restoration would need to be the original configuration. I didn't
> change the actual drive letters, just the size of the partitions. This
> is necessary to give me more free space on the C: drive, which was the
> original problem. Are you saying that change the sizes of the
> partitions will not work?
>

> --
> Doopus

DL

Re: Full PC Backup Problems
A third party tool would enable you to resize your partitions with no loss
of data (allthough data backup is allways wise.
Also a third party tool eg Acronis TI can create a complete Image of your
system and allow you to restore that Image to ammended partition sizes.
Your initial mistake was of course in creating a win partition that was far
to small. There is no advantage to Partitioning a single disk to locate
win/apps/data on seperate partitions.

"Doopus" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> AJR:
>
> If I understand your response, you're saying that the backup
> restoration would need to be the original configuration. I didn't
> change the actual drive letters, just the size of the partitions. This
> is necessary to give me more free space on the C: drive, which was the
> original problem. Are you saying that change the sizes of the
> partitions will not work?
>

> --
> Doopus

Doopus

Re: Full PC Backup Problems

Like most issues I have with Microsoft, it wasn't worth the days of
investigation and research to solve the issue. I
repartitioned/formatted the disk and did a fresh install of Vista. I'll
just use VHDMount to get my data from the back file and just reinstall
all my apps. It's a good chance to clean-up my PC anyway. Thanks for
your help.

--
Doopus