How do I control what is loaded on startup in Vista?

Steve Turner

How do I control what is loaded on startup in Vista?
New to Vista. I understand there's some way (built into Vista) to determine
or discontinue certain startup applications in Vista. I've installed some
software that keeps loading something when I boot up and I want to eliminate
it because my Vista load time is dropping quite a bit.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: How do I control what is loaded on startup in Vista?
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 06:44:01 -0700, "Steve Turner"
<stevezygote@hotmail.com> wrote:

> New to Vista. I understand there's some way (built into Vista) to determine
> or discontinue certain startup applications in Vista. I've installed some
> software that keeps loading something when I boot up and I want to eliminate
> it because my Vista load time is dropping quite a bit.

On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show icon"
option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't
work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab,
uncheck the programs you don't want to start automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose of
running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many people tell
you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of these programs
you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt performance severely, but
others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you should do
is determine what each program is, what its value is to you, and what
the cost in performance is of its running all the time. You can get
more information about these at
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it there,
try google searches and ask about specifics here.

Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent informed
decision about what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
SIW2

Ken Blake, MVP;850750 Wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 06:44:01 -0700, "Steve Turner"
> <stevezygote@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > >
> > > New to Vista. I understand there's some way (built into Vista) to

> > determine
> > > or discontinue certain startup applications in Vista. I've installed

> > some
> > > software that keeps loading something when I boot up and I want to

> > eliminate
> > > it because my Vista load time is dropping quite a bit. > >

> On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
> Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
> actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show
> icon"
> option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If that
> doesn't
> work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup
> tab,
> uncheck the programs you don't want to start automatically.
>
> However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose of
> running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many people
> tell
> you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of these programs
> you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt performance severely,
> but
> others have no effect on performance.
>
> Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you should
> do
> is determine what each program is, what its value is to you, and
> what
> the cost in performance is of its running all the time. You can get
> more information about these at
> 'CastleCops® - StartupList' (http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html).
> If you can't find it there,
> try google searches and ask about specifics here.
>
> Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent informed
> decision about what you want to keep and what you want to get rid
> of.
>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Hello Steve,

You may also like to have a look at this tutorial

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Anoop Vishwakarma

Re: How do I control what is loaded on startup in Vista?
This may also help make your PC faster!

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...sable_1.htm l

tx, av

"Steve Turner" <stevezygote@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> New to Vista. I understand there's some way (built into Vista) to
> determine or discontinue certain startup applications in Vista. I've
> installed some software that keeps loading something when I boot up and I
> want to eliminate it because my Vista load time is dropping quite a bit.

MilesAhead

Re: How do I control what is loaded on startup in Vista?

If you can't find where the program is starting using simple tools like
WinPatrol then try AutoRuns. There's so many ways to load up a program
during boot that it will make your head spin.

--
MilesAhead

"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"
HappyAndyK

Re: How do I control what is loaded on startup in Vista?

One can always use the inbuilt MSCONFIG tool to disable startups or try
freeware WinPatrol which is very easy to use.

--
HappyAndyK

www.WinVistaClub.com
HappyAndyK's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=4
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23370

MilesAhead

HappyAndyK;852894 Wrote:
> One can always use the inbuilt MSCONFIG tool to disable startups or try
> freeware WinPatrol which is very easy to use.

That's what I thought too until I looked at AutoRuns. Take a look for
yourself and
you'll see it's nearly impossible to control startups manually.
There's too many holes.

--
MilesAhead

"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"
pro_newbie888's Avatar

Location: Indonesia
pro_newbie888 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: How do I control what is loaded on startup in Vista?
Type MSCONFIG on search at start button and go to startup tab and chose the programs that you want to disable..
No one good, and no one bad.
We're here together to learn and share.

NOTE = Sorry for my bad english languages.