Sleep Function

=?Utf-8?B?c2t5enlr?=

Sleep Function
I always thought that restarting the computer was the way to go every
morning. Now with the sleep function, basically we are advised to use it, and
never turn off computer, save for installing programs and updates. So I guess
the question is, is it not a better idea to shutdown at the end of the day?
I'm having trouble understanding the concept. Maybe I just need an
explanation. Can someone enlighten me?
Thank you, Gary
Rick Rogers

Re: Sleep Function
Hi,

It's a matter of personal preference. Some like to "refresh" the system by
restarting every day. I've not found that doing so offers anything in the
way of improvement, and I just leave them all running 24/7. Those with
concerns of power cost may differ in opinion, but the low power state uses
very little.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"skyzyk" <skyzyk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I always thought that restarting the computer was the way to go every
> morning. Now with the sleep function, basically we are advised to use it,
> and
> never turn off computer, save for installing programs and updates. So I
> guess
> the question is, is it not a better idea to shutdown at the end of the
> day?
> I'm having trouble understanding the concept. Maybe I just need an
> explanation. Can someone enlighten me?
> Thank you, Gary

Thomas Cage

Re: Sleep Function
Is the sleep function only designed to replce shutdown on laptops? Because
on my desktop PC, the sleep function seems to do very little in the way of
power conservation - the monitor turns off but everything else seems to keep
running.

I noticed this in the help documentation:

"Windows automatically saves your work, the display turns off, and any noise
from the computer's fan stops."

but I don't see how that can work for desktop machines, and on mine it
certianly doesn't - the noise levels are unaffected in sleep mode, and with
my PC being in my bedroom, I don't see sleep as an alternative to a
shutdown.

> Hi,
>
> It's a matter of personal preference. Some like to "refresh" the system by
> restarting every day. I've not found that doing so offers anything in the
> way of improvement, and I just leave them all running 24/7. Those with
> concerns of power cost may differ in opinion, but the low power state uses
> very little.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "skyzyk" <skyzyk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I always thought that restarting the computer was the way to go every
>> morning. Now with the sleep function, basically we are advised to use it,
>> and
>> never turn off computer, save for installing programs and updates. So I
>> guess
>> the question is, is it not a better idea to shutdown at the end of the
>> day?
>> I'm having trouble understanding the concept. Maybe I just need an
>> explanation. Can someone enlighten me?
>> Thank you, Gary

Thomas Olsen [MSFT]

Re: Sleep Function
Hello skyzyk,

In addition to the information that Rick and Thomas have provided, you can
learn more about sleep mode by reading the following FAQ:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...4dc111033.mspx

According to the FAQ, sleep mode uses about the same amount of power as a
"nightlight."

I hope the information in the FAQ is useful to you.