can't delete large .mpg files

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hbmRh?=

can't delete large .mpg files
Using Windows Vista basic.........I have several large .mpg files on one hard
drive, this is where I record video to. But I can't delete any of these files
to make room for others. Windows Explorer hangs and will not process the
"calculating time remaining' for sending to the recycle bin. AND it uses 100%
CPU while trying to accomplish it. If I try to just wait & let it do it,
Explorer eventually crashes (Vista wants to close it.) I can COPY the files
elsewhere, but it takes hours. I do have lots of RAM and good CPU.
I found a fix on microsoft that addresses this exact problem BUT it is for
an update to WIN XP SP2, and I am runnng Vista basic. Does anyone know if
there is a fix for this for Vista?
Amanda (newbie to forums)

--
Amanda B
Michael

Re: can't delete large .mpg files
Amanda,
This does not fix your underlying problem of moving large files but might
help is getting you space back.

Hold down the shift key when selecting the delete option. This will ask you
to confirm that you want to permanently delete (i.e. not send to recycle
bin) that file.

Michael

"Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Windows Vista basic.........I have several large .mpg files on one
> hard
> drive, this is where I record video to. But I can't delete any of these
> files
> to make room for others. Windows Explorer hangs and will not process the
> "calculating time remaining' for sending to the recycle bin. AND it uses
> 100%
> CPU while trying to accomplish it. If I try to just wait & let it do it,
> Explorer eventually crashes (Vista wants to close it.) I can COPY the
> files
> elsewhere, but it takes hours. I do have lots of RAM and good CPU.
> I found a fix on microsoft that addresses this exact problem BUT it is for
> an update to WIN XP SP2, and I am runnng Vista basic. Does anyone know if
> there is a fix for this for Vista?
> Amanda (newbie to forums)
>
> --
> Amanda B

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hbmRh?=

Re: can't delete large .mpg files
THANKS this worked on one of my files, but not on the other. It still brings
up the endless dialog box of "calculating time remainng"
In another forim group, someone suggested using a command prompt to delete
them. This took care of two others. One file is still there, it is small, so
not taking up space, but because of it I can't access that folder without the
whole thing hanging again. maybe I can delete the folder, I will try that too.

--
Amanda B

"Michael" wrote:

> Amanda,
> This does not fix your underlying problem of moving large files but might
> help is getting you space back.
>
> Hold down the shift key when selecting the delete option. This will ask you
> to confirm that you want to permanently delete (i.e. not send to recycle
> bin) that file.
>
> Michael
>

> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Using Windows Vista basic.........I have several large .mpg files on one
> > hard
> > drive, this is where I record video to. But I can't delete any of these
> > files
> > to make room for others. Windows Explorer hangs and will not process the
> > "calculating time remaining' for sending to the recycle bin. AND it uses
> > 100%
> > CPU while trying to accomplish it. If I try to just wait & let it do it,
> > Explorer eventually crashes (Vista wants to close it.) I can COPY the
> > files
> > elsewhere, but it takes hours. I do have lots of RAM and good CPU.
> > I found a fix on microsoft that addresses this exact problem BUT it is for
> > an update to WIN XP SP2, and I am runnng Vista basic. Does anyone know if
> > there is a fix for this for Vista?
> > Amanda (newbie to forums)
> >
> > --
> > Amanda B

Mike T

Re: can't delete large .mpg files
MS has released a hotfix (kb931770) that should address this.

Just tell them you are having slow file performance and the CALCULATING time
remaining window and they will send you the hotfix.

> THANKS this worked on one of my files, but not on the other. It still
> brings
> up the endless dialog box of "calculating time remainng"
> In another forim group, someone suggested using a command prompt to delete
> them. This took care of two others. One file is still there, it is small,
> so
> not taking up space, but because of it I can't access that folder without
> the
> whole thing hanging again. maybe I can delete the folder, I will try that
> too.
>
> --
> Amanda B
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> Amanda,
>> This does not fix your underlying problem of moving large files but might
>> help is getting you space back.
>>
>> Hold down the shift key when selecting the delete option. This will ask
>> you
>> to confirm that you want to permanently delete (i.e. not send to recycle
>> bin) that file.
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Using Windows Vista basic.........I have several large .mpg files on
>> > one
>> > hard
>> > drive, this is where I record video to. But I can't delete any of these
>> > files
>> > to make room for others. Windows Explorer hangs and will not process
>> > the
>> > "calculating time remaining' for sending to the recycle bin. AND it
>> > uses
>> > 100%
>> > CPU while trying to accomplish it. If I try to just wait & let it do
>> > it,
>> > Explorer eventually crashes (Vista wants to close it.) I can COPY the
>> > files
>> > elsewhere, but it takes hours. I do have lots of RAM and good CPU.
>> > I found a fix on microsoft that addresses this exact problem BUT it is
>> > for
>> > an update to WIN XP SP2, and I am runnng Vista basic. Does anyone know
>> > if
>> > there is a fix for this for Vista?
>> > Amanda (newbie to forums)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Amanda B

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hbmRh?=

Re: can't delete large .mpg files
Thanks. I bookmarked a link to this in case I decide to use it. But it does
say it applies to servers & networks, and I just have a single user computer.
They did warn not to use it unless it fits the problem..... Also, it isn't a
free download, which I would prefer. I'm not sure how I would get it. I hope
MS will include it in an upcoming update, or a service pack.
In the meantime, I was told about a way to delete the files with cmd.exe
(good old dos methods, sometimes they still work) so at least for now I can
use my hard drive again.
--
Amanda B

"Mike T" wrote:

> MS has released a hotfix (kb931770) that should address this.
>
> Just tell them you are having slow file performance and the CALCULATING time
> remaining window and they will send you the hotfix.
>

> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > THANKS this worked on one of my files, but not on the other. It still
> > brings
> > up the endless dialog box of "calculating time remainng"
> > In another forim group, someone suggested using a command prompt to delete
> > them. This took care of two others. One file is still there, it is small,
> > so
> > not taking up space, but because of it I can't access that folder without
> > the
> > whole thing hanging again. maybe I can delete the folder, I will try that
> > too.
> >
> > --
> > Amanda B
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> Amanda,
> >> This does not fix your underlying problem of moving large files but might
> >> help is getting you space back.
> >>
> >> Hold down the shift key when selecting the delete option. This will ask
> >> you
> >> to confirm that you want to permanently delete (i.e. not send to recycle
> >> bin) that file.
> >>
> >> Michael

=?Utf-8?B?VmFsZWsgSGF3a2U=?=

Re: can't delete large .mpg files
Andrea,

You can get the file here:

http://hotfix.xable.net/download/ind...Neutral/Vista/

Hope it helps. I am about to try it on my Vista Install as well.

Val
--
UNTIL it blows up I think I can fix it. IF it blows up I didn''''''''t touch
it!

"Amanda" wrote:

> Thanks. I bookmarked a link to this in case I decide to use it. But it does
> say it applies to servers & networks, and I just have a single user computer.
> They did warn not to use it unless it fits the problem..... Also, it isn't a
> free download, which I would prefer. I'm not sure how I would get it. I hope
> MS will include it in an upcoming update, or a service pack.
> In the meantime, I was told about a way to delete the files with cmd.exe
> (good old dos methods, sometimes they still work) so at least for now I can
> use my hard drive again.
> --
> Amanda B
>

> "Mike T" wrote:
>
> > MS has released a hotfix (kb931770) that should address this.
> >
> > Just tell them you are having slow file performance and the CALCULATING time
> > remaining window and they will send you the hotfix.
> >

> > "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > THANKS this worked on one of my files, but not on the other. It still
> > > brings
> > > up the endless dialog box of "calculating time remainng"
> > > In another forim group, someone suggested using a command prompt to delete
> > > them. This took care of two others. One file is still there, it is small,
> > > so
> > > not taking up space, but because of it I can't access that folder without
> > > the
> > > whole thing hanging again. maybe I can delete the folder, I will try that
> > > too.

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hbmRh?=

Re: can't delete large .mpg files
Thanks for that link. Have you used that site before, or do you know it is a
safe place? Please DO let us know if the fix works/doesn't work. THANKS!
--
Amanda B