Working with files and folders is painful

sakaz

Working with files and folders is painful
When i try to work on files or folders, the Vista always makes the cursor
busy. It's always doing something. The green bar on the address bar is
always starting from the beginning and moves to the end whenever i try to do
something in the folder. And the mouse cursor is always busy. Even moving a
folder is a slow and hard task. I turned off indexing. But Vista always
tries to do something on the disk. Why is it so difficult to work on a file
or in a folder? What is it doing? I didn't understand it. If there's a way
to stop this or cancel that future that slows the operations, please show me
the way to cancel it.

Rick Rogers

Re: Working with files and folders is painful
Hi,

Try turning the indexing back on. Otherwise everytime you access a folder
the list of contents is re-cataloged and reloaded to memory.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"sakaz" <a@a.a> wrote in message
> When i try to work on files or folders, the Vista always makes the cursor
> busy. It's always doing something. The green bar on the address bar is
> always starting from the beginning and moves to the end whenever i try to
> do something in the folder. And the mouse cursor is always busy. Even
> moving a folder is a slow and hard task. I turned off indexing. But Vista
> always tries to do something on the disk. Why is it so difficult to work
> on a file or in a folder? What is it doing? I didn't understand it. If
> there's a way to stop this or cancel that future that slows the
> operations, please show me the way to cancel it.

MilesAhead

Re: Working with files and folders is painful

You might want to take a look at a couple of 3rd party utilities.
For file management, FreeCommander

for file copy/move TeraCopy - the latest beta is best at least for 32
bit Vista. TeraCopy has a beta for 64 bit Vista but I don't know how
reliable it is.

For quieting the HD I've been working on this since I bought my PC in
April 2007!
They don't make it easy. But you need to check Scheduled Tasks and
Services and find out which you need and which you don't and disable and
log them(keep track of what you are doing so you can undo changes that
don't work) as you go.

Another thing is Windows Media Player will want to index all your media
files. google mobsync.exe if you don't use a laptop etc..

Check out this page for a start:

'Windows Vista Services Explained'
(http://www.speedyvista.com/services.php)

Also you might find if you have a "Media Center" type PC it does this
even more
as it tries to catalog all the media files you have stored, even if you
uninstall WMP.
You just have to keep with it. Once you have things the way you want I
recommend you get LookInMyPC freeware to make a printout of the state of
all
your services. That way if you have to reset to defaults you can go
through the list
of services and set them all at once instead of trial and error all
over again.

Also I would get some sort of image restore program like Paragon Drive
Backup or one of the others so you can restore an unbootable system if
you do something that hoses your machine when you change settings.

--
MilesAhead

"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"