Browser stops working but Internet still connected

DP

Browser stops working but Internet still connected
I'm having this problem on a Vista 64 bit machine, but it also happens on a
machine using plain old 32-bit XP (though the processor is a single core,
AMD 64-bit).

I sometimes have problems connecting to websites using the browser. But at
the same time, I can still check email and participate in NGs (as I am now).
I can download data from financial institutions using Quicken. Instant
messenger programs work.

So, while the browser has trouble connecting, the Internet connection is
obviously still there and working because these other programs show that to
be the case. I tried installing the Opera browser, and it can't connect
either during these periods either. So it's not just an IE problem.

Both the Vista 64 and the XP 32 machines go through the same DSL modem. The
Vista machine is connected wirelessly to the DSL modem.

Both are using IE7. The Vista machine is using the version that came on the
Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM disk. The 32-bit machine is using a version I
downloaded several months earlier.

While I was in the process of writing this, a box popped up in the corner of
my screen telling me that Avast AV has been updated. Usually that box pops
up at bootup. But just now the machine had been on for several minutes when
it popped up. Once that happened, I figured whatever had been the problem
had ended, so I fired up Opera and it connected. (Before anyone says the
problem was caused by the AV update, I can assure you that's not the case.
The problem happens on two machines and I have that AV only loaded on one.
I've also had the AV update on bootup, but then have this connectivity
problem show up later.)

Two more things:

1) When this problem happens, if I put my cursor over the internet
connection icon in the system tray (on the Vista machine), it will show the
connection and say "local access only." When I'm not having problems with
the browser, it will show "Local and Internet."

2) When this problem occurs, I usually can still access my company's email
website. I'm not sure, but I assume my company's email server is in the same
city as my home, which is why I can access it. But I can't access any other
internet sites.

So, I guess my questions are:

1) What is "local access only"? Is it a problem with my ISP? With my DSL
modem?

2) And why, when in "local access" mode, can I still get stuff from
non-local sources while using Windows Mail, Quicken and instant messenger?

DP

Re: Browser stops working but Internet still connected

Just to clarify: As I point out near the end of the message, I can check
email and newsgroups using Windows Mail in Vista. So while the browsers
won't connect, Windows Mail can still connect (as can Quicken and instant
messaging).

"DP" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I sometimes have problems connecting to websites using the browser. But at
> the same time, I can still check email and participate in NGs (as I am
> now). I can download data from financial institutions using Quicken.
> Instant messenger programs work.

John Barnes

Re: Browser stops working but Internet still connected
Sounds almost exactly like the problem I had several weeks ago. None of the
few ideas helped and I resorted to a system restore. You can check my
postings and replies from 3/19 and earlier. My find isn't working for some
reason, maybe yours will. Both had IE7 in the subject

"DP" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm having this problem on a Vista 64 bit machine, but it also happens on
> a machine using plain old 32-bit XP (though the processor is a single
> core, AMD 64-bit).
>
> I sometimes have problems connecting to websites using the browser. But at
> the same time, I can still check email and participate in NGs (as I am
> now). I can download data from financial institutions using Quicken.
> Instant messenger programs work.
>
> So, while the browser has trouble connecting, the Internet connection is
> obviously still there and working because these other programs show that
> to be the case. I tried installing the Opera browser, and it can't connect
> either during these periods either. So it's not just an IE problem.
>
> Both the Vista 64 and the XP 32 machines go through the same DSL modem.
> The Vista machine is connected wirelessly to the DSL modem.
>
> Both are using IE7. The Vista machine is using the version that came on
> the Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM disk. The 32-bit machine is using a version
> I downloaded several months earlier.
>
> While I was in the process of writing this, a box popped up in the corner
> of my screen telling me that Avast AV has been updated. Usually that box
> pops up at bootup. But just now the machine had been on for several
> minutes when it popped up. Once that happened, I figured whatever had been
> the problem had ended, so I fired up Opera and it connected. (Before
> anyone says the problem was caused by the AV update, I can assure you
> that's not the case. The problem happens on two machines and I have that
> AV only loaded on one. I've also had the AV update on bootup, but then
> have this connectivity problem show up later.)
>
> Two more things:
>
> 1) When this problem happens, if I put my cursor over the internet
> connection icon in the system tray (on the Vista machine), it will show
> the connection and say "local access only." When I'm not having problems
> with the browser, it will show "Local and Internet."
>
> 2) When this problem occurs, I usually can still access my company's email
> website. I'm not sure, but I assume my company's email server is in the
> same city as my home, which is why I can access it. But I can't access any
> other internet sites.
>
> So, I guess my questions are:
>
> 1) What is "local access only"? Is it a problem with my ISP? With my DSL
> modem?
>
> 2) And why, when in "local access" mode, can I still get stuff from
> non-local sources while using Windows Mail, Quicken and instant messenger?

DP

Re: Browser stops working but Internet still connected
Thanks, John.
Since my problem is occurring on two machines, I don't think that anything
you do to a specific machine is really a solution. I'm thinking it must be
from the DSL modem and out; not from anything that happens between the DSL
modem and anything connected to it in the house.
Curious: Is that your real email address or a spam trap? I'm on Bellsouth
DSL. Was just checking to make sure you're not as well, cause if you are,
that could be an explanation. Also note that BellSouth and ATT just merged,
so if you're on any provider somehow connected with AT&T, that may be a
common point as well.
Also, I'm in southeastern Louisiana. Are you anywhere close to that?
I'm just trying to see if we can narrow down commonalities between our two
situations.

The problem for me is intermittent. It may happen several times in the
course of a few hours.
I have sometimes disconnected the power from the modem, waited at least 30
seconds and reconnected and then restarted the 32-bit machine that's
hard-wired to the modem. Sometimes that seems to fix the problem. But it's
also possible the problem fixed itself during the time when the computer was
shut down and the modem powered down.

> Sounds almost exactly like the problem I had several weeks ago. None of
> the few ideas helped and I resorted to a system restore. You can check my
> postings and replies from 3/19 and earlier. My find isn't working for
> some reason, maybe yours will. Both had IE7 in the subject
>

> "DP" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm having this problem on a Vista 64 bit machine, but it also happens on
>> a machine using plain old 32-bit XP (though the processor is a single
>> core, AMD 64-bit).
>>
>> I sometimes have problems connecting to websites using the browser. But
>> at the same time, I can still check email and participate in NGs (as I am
>> now). I can download data from financial institutions using Quicken.
>> Instant messenger programs work.
>>
>> So, while the browser has trouble connecting, the Internet connection is
>> obviously still there and working because these other programs show that
>> to be the case. I tried installing the Opera browser, and it can't
>> connect either during these periods either. So it's not just an IE
>> problem.
>>
>> Both the Vista 64 and the XP 32 machines go through the same DSL modem.
>> The Vista machine is connected wirelessly to the DSL modem.
>>
>> Both are using IE7. The Vista machine is using the version that came on
>> the Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM disk. The 32-bit machine is using a version
>> I downloaded several months earlier.
>>
>> While I was in the process of writing this, a box popped up in the corner
>> of my screen telling me that Avast AV has been updated. Usually that box
>> pops up at bootup. But just now the machine had been on for several
>> minutes when it popped up. Once that happened, I figured whatever had
>> been the problem had ended, so I fired up Opera and it connected. (Before
>> anyone says the problem was caused by the AV update, I can assure you
>> that's not the case. The problem happens on two machines and I have that
>> AV only loaded on one. I've also had the AV update on bootup, but then
>> have this connectivity problem show up later.)
>>
>> Two more things:
>>
>> 1) When this problem happens, if I put my cursor over the internet
>> connection icon in the system tray (on the Vista machine), it will show
>> the connection and say "local access only." When I'm not having problems
>> with the browser, it will show "Local and Internet."
>>
>> 2) When this problem occurs, I usually can still access my company's
>> email website. I'm not sure, but I assume my company's email server is in
>> the same city as my home, which is why I can access it. But I can't
>> access any other internet sites.
>>
>> So, I guess my questions are:
>>
>> 1) What is "local access only"? Is it a problem with my ISP? With my DSL
>> modem?
>>
>> 2) And why, when in "local access" mode, can I still get stuff from
>> non-local sources while using Windows Mail, Quicken and instant
>> messenger?

John Barnes

Re: Browser stops working but Internet still connected
I'm in eastern Washington. I have a satellite connection thought it was a
problem on the dial-up backup also. My connections lasted approximately 1
1/2 hours before the internet connection stopped. OE Vista Mail, a Java app
and streaming audio continued to work. I tried Firefox and it had the exact
same problem. Rebooting solved the problem each time for me, for about 1
1/2 hours, then after about 4-5 reboots in a day, it would seem to clear up
for the rest of the day most days.

> [...]
>>> later.)
>>>
>>> Two more things:
>>>
>>> 1) When this problem happens, if I put my cursor over the internet
>>> connection icon in the system tray (on the Vista machine), it will show
>>> the connection and say "local access only." When I'm not having problems
>>> with the browser, it will show "Local and Internet."
>>>
>>> 2) When this problem occurs, I usually can still access my company's
>>> email website. I'm not sure, but I assume my company's email server is
>>> in the same city as my home, which is why I can access it. But I can't
>>> access any other internet sites.
>>>
>>> So, I guess my questions are:
>>>
>>> 1) What is "local access only"? Is it a problem with my ISP? With my DSL
>>> modem?
>>>
>>> 2) And why, when in "local access" mode, can I still get stuff from
>>> non-local sources while using Windows Mail, Quicken and instant

John Barnes

Re: Browser stops working but Internet still connected
I also had the same connection bubble you did, with local - internet and
then only local. Also tried all the ipconfig options I knew of and that
were suggested.

> [...]
>>> connection icon in the system tray (on the Vista machine), it will show
>>> the connection and say "local access only." When I'm not having problems
>>> with the browser, it will show "Local and Internet."
>>>
>>> 2) When this problem occurs, I usually can still access my company's
>>> email website. I'm not sure, but I assume my company's email server is
>>> in the same city as my home, which is why I can access it. But I can't
>>> access any other internet sites.
>>>
>>> So, I guess my questions are:
>>>
>>> 1) What is "local access only"? Is it a problem with my ISP? With my DSL
>>> modem?
>>>
>>> 2) And why, when in "local access" mode, can I still get stuff from
>>> non-local sources while using Windows Mail, Quicken and instant
>>> messenger?

DP

Re: Browser stops working but Internet still connected

And it's strange that I can get to my company's email website -- USING
internet explorer -- while I can't get to any other websites. I guess
that's what local access means.

>I also had the same connection bubble you did, with local - internet and
>then only local. Also tried all the ipconfig options I knew of and that
>were suggested.
>

> "DP" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, John.
>> Since my problem is occurring on two machines, I don't think that
>> anything you do to a specific machine is really a solution. I'm thinking
>> it must be from the DSL modem and out; not from anything that happens
>> between the DSL modem and anything connected to it in the house.
>> Curious: Is that your real email address or a spam trap? I'm on Bellsouth
>> DSL. Was just checking to make sure you're not as well, cause if you are,
>> that could be an explanation. Also note that BellSouth and ATT just
>> merged, so if you're on any provider somehow connected with AT&T, that
>> may be a common point as well.
>> Also, I'm in southeastern Louisiana. Are you anywhere close to that?
>> I'm just trying to see if we can narrow down commonalities between our
>> two situations.
>>
>> The problem for me is intermittent. It may happen several times in the
>> course of a few hours.
>> I have sometimes disconnected the power from the modem, waited at least
>> 30 seconds and reconnected and then restarted the 32-bit machine that's
>> hard-wired to the modem. Sometimes that seems to fix the problem. But
>> it's also possible the problem fixed itself during the time when the
>> computer was shut down and the modem powered down.
>>

>> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>>> Sounds almost exactly like the problem I had several weeks ago. None of
>>> the few ideas helped and I resorted to a system restore. You can check
>>> my postings and replies from 3/19 and earlier. My find isn't working
>>> for some reason, maybe yours will. Both had IE7 in the subject

Kue2

Re: Browser stops working but Internet still connected
Have u tried updating drivers for your nic card?

"DP" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm having this problem on a Vista 64 bit machine, but it also happens on
> a machine using plain old 32-bit XP (though the processor is a single
> core, AMD 64-bit).
>
> I sometimes have problems connecting to websites using the browser. But at
> the same time, I can still check email and participate in NGs (as I am
> now). I can download data from financial institutions using Quicken.
> Instant messenger programs work.
>
> So, while the browser has trouble connecting, the Internet connection is
> obviously still there and working because these other programs show that
> to be the case. I tried installing the Opera browser, and it can't connect
> either during these periods either. So it's not just an IE problem.
>
> Both the Vista 64 and the XP 32 machines go through the same DSL modem.
> The Vista machine is connected wirelessly to the DSL modem.
>
> Both are using IE7. The Vista machine is using the version that came on
> the Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM disk. The 32-bit machine is using a version
> I downloaded several months earlier.
>
> While I was in the process of writing this, a box popped up in the corner
> of my screen telling me that Avast AV has been updated. Usually that box
> pops up at bootup. But just now the machine had been on for several
> minutes when it popped up. Once that happened, I figured whatever had been
> the problem had ended, so I fired up Opera and it connected. (Before
> anyone says the problem was caused by the AV update, I can assure you
> that's not the case. The problem happens on two machines and I have that
> AV only loaded on one. I've also had the AV update on bootup, but then
> have this connectivity problem show up later.)
>
> Two more things:
>
> 1) When this problem happens, if I put my cursor over the internet
> connection icon in the system tray (on the Vista machine), it will show
> the connection and say "local access only." When I'm not having problems
> with the browser, it will show "Local and Internet."
>
> 2) When this problem occurs, I usually can still access my company's email
> website. I'm not sure, but I assume my company's email server is in the
> same city as my home, which is why I can access it. But I can't access any
> other internet sites.
>
> So, I guess my questions are:
>
> 1) What is "local access only"? Is it a problem with my ISP? With my DSL
> modem?
>
> 2) And why, when in "local access" mode, can I still get stuff from
> non-local sources while using Windows Mail, Quicken and instant messenger?

Kerry Brown

Re: Browser stops working but Internet still connected
Try this test for your router.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"DP" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm having this problem on a Vista 64 bit machine, but it also happens on
> a machine using plain old 32-bit XP (though the processor is a single
> core, AMD 64-bit).
>
> I sometimes have problems connecting to websites using the browser. But at
> the same time, I can still check email and participate in NGs (as I am
> now). I can download data from financial institutions using Quicken.
> Instant messenger programs work.
>
> So, while the browser has trouble connecting, the Internet connection is
> obviously still there and working because these other programs show that
> to be the case. I tried installing the Opera browser, and it can't connect
> either during these periods either. So it's not just an IE problem.
>
> Both the Vista 64 and the XP 32 machines go through the same DSL modem.
> The Vista machine is connected wirelessly to the DSL modem.
>
> Both are using IE7. The Vista machine is using the version that came on
> the Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM disk. The 32-bit machine is using a version
> I downloaded several months earlier.
>
> While I was in the process of writing this, a box popped up in the corner
> of my screen telling me that Avast AV has been updated. Usually that box
> pops up at bootup. But just now the machine had been on for several
> minutes when it popped up. Once that happened, I figured whatever had been
> the problem had ended, so I fired up Opera and it connected. (Before
> anyone says the problem was caused by the AV update, I can assure you
> that's not the case. The problem happens on two machines and I have that
> AV only loaded on one. I've also had the AV update on bootup, but then
> have this connectivity problem show up later.)
>
> Two more things:
>
> 1) When this problem happens, if I put my cursor over the internet
> connection icon in the system tray (on the Vista machine), it will show
> the connection and say "local access only." When I'm not having problems
> with the browser, it will show "Local and Internet."
>
> 2) When this problem occurs, I usually can still access my company's email
> website. I'm not sure, but I assume my company's email server is in the
> same city as my home, which is why I can access it. But I can't access any
> other internet sites.
>
> So, I guess my questions are:
>
> 1) What is "local access only"? Is it a problem with my ISP? With my DSL
> modem?
>
> 2) And why, when in "local access" mode, can I still get stuff from
> non-local sources while using Windows Mail, Quicken and instant messenger?

Re: Browser stops working but Internet still connected
http://www.fiddlertool.com/

Is the Microsoft HTTP debugger

This will list conversations between you and the web site.

If this doesn't give hints you can use Netmon3 to see exactly what is
happening. But you may not be technical enough.

http://www.download3k.com/Install-MI...k-Monitor.html

And don't forget that Network diaganostics are built into Windows. But in
Vista they nobbled it to prevent you from using it. There is only a stupid
dialog (previously typing

Netsh Diag GUI

would start a GUI diaganostic session). Even command line access has been
nobbled. I did some web searching and many people mustn't try typing before
putting up a web page about it. Even Netsh Connect has disappeared. Also
useless without help AND it's a stupid program that is stateful like an FTP
commandline program,

You have a GUI access to it somewhere in Help and Support. Use Network
Diagnostics as the search term. What a surprise Netdiag isn't in help or
even on the computer. But the functions are built into windows in a user
unfriendly way. (you can also waste time by accessing it in Networking and
Sharing Centre)

I can only reccommend going bavk to a working OS with help files and proper
tools like XP or 2000.