Column Sort Doesn't Work - Restore File Selection

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXlWZWU=?=

Column Sort Doesn't Work - Restore File Selection
I am using the Restore utility to restore some files. I get to the "Add
files to restore" file explorer screen to select the desired files. When I
click the column header for "Date created", "Date modified" or "Size", the
rows are not sorted (I don't know what order their in). Only sorting of the
"Name" field seems to work properly. Sorting seems to work fine in the
regular file explorer, but here it doesn't. Either I'm doing something
wrong, or this is a bug. I searched the support sites and can't find any
hits. Anybody else see this behavior?

Thanks, Tommy
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Column Sort Doesn't Work - Restore File Selection
I just tried this myself. When I selected a bunch of sample pictures from
the same location, I noticed that their "In Folder" and "Date modified"
details were the same, so clicking those headers didn't change the sort
because they're identical. When I selected some additional files from a
different location, then their In Folder and Date modified settings were the
same for those files yet different from the sample pictures. Once I did
this, I could sort by In Folder nad Date modified and see a change.

Does this make sense? Do you still see the same behavior when the In Folder
and Date modified entries are all different?

"TommyVee" <TommyVee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using the Restore utility to restore some files. I get to the "Add
> files to restore" file explorer screen to select the desired files. When
> click the column header for "Date created", "Date modified" or "Size", the
> rows are not sorted (I don't know what order their in). Only sorting of
> the
> "Name" field seems to work properly. Sorting seems to work fine in the
> regular file explorer, but here it doesn't. Either I'm doing something
> wrong, or this is a bug. I searched the support sites and can't find any
> hits. Anybody else see this behavior?
>
> Thanks, Tommy

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXlWZWU=?=

Re: Column Sort Doesn't Work - Restore File Selection
The only columns I see in the Restore screen detail file view are "Name",
"Size", "Date created", "Date modified" and "Backup date". Apparently on the
restore screen, these are the only columns that can be displayed. Just so
we're on the same page, I started the restore utility, hit the "Restore
Files" button, then selected "Files from the latest backup", then hit the
"Add Files" button. When the file explorer popped up, I selected the
"Documents" folder on the left pane, and did a "Details View" on the right
pane. That's where the sort doesn't seem to work.

Thanks, Tommy

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> I just tried this myself. When I selected a bunch of sample pictures from
> the same location, I noticed that their "In Folder" and "Date modified"
> details were the same, so clicking those headers didn't change the sort
> because they're identical. When I selected some additional files from a
> different location, then their In Folder and Date modified settings were the
> same for those files yet different from the sample pictures. Once I did
> this, I could sort by In Folder nad Date modified and see a change.
>
> Does this make sense? Do you still see the same behavior when the In Folder
> and Date modified entries are all different?

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "TommyVee" <TommyVee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using the Restore utility to restore some files. I get to the "Add
> > files to restore" file explorer screen to select the desired files. When
> > click the column header for "Date created", "Date modified" or "Size", the
> > rows are not sorted (I don't know what order their in). Only sorting of
> > the
> > "Name" field seems to work properly. Sorting seems to work fine in the
> > regular file explorer, but here it doesn't. Either I'm doing something
> > wrong, or this is a bug. I searched the support sites and can't find any
> > hits. Anybody else see this behavior?
> >
> > Thanks, Tommy

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Column Sort Doesn't Work - Restore File Selection
OK, I see where you are coming from...you haven't yet clicked "Add" like I
did. Can you confirm that the data listed in all the columns is different?
In the particular backup I'm looking at, which is admittedly of a new
system, my sample pictures all have the same date. But I'm able to sort by
Size, which is different for each file.

> The only columns I see in the Restore screen detail file view are "Name",
> "Size", "Date created", "Date modified" and "Backup date". Apparently on
> the
> restore screen, these are the only columns that can be displayed. Just so
> we're on the same page, I started the restore utility, hit the "Restore
> Files" button, then selected "Files from the latest backup", then hit the
> "Add Files" button. When the file explorer popped up, I selected the
> "Documents" folder on the left pane, and did a "Details View" on the right
> pane. That's where the sort doesn't seem to work.
>
> Thanks, Tommy
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> I just tried this myself. When I selected a bunch of sample pictures from
>> the same location, I noticed that their "In Folder" and "Date modified"
>> details were the same, so clicking those headers didn't change the sort
>> because they're identical. When I selected some additional files from a
>> different location, then their In Folder and Date modified settings were
>> the
>> same for those files yet different from the sample pictures. Once I did
>> this, I could sort by In Folder nad Date modified and see a change.
>>
>> Does this make sense? Do you still see the same behavior when the In
>> Folder
>> and Date modified entries are all different?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "TommyVee" <TommyVee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using the Restore utility to restore some files. I get to the "Add
>> > files to restore" file explorer screen to select the desired files.
>> > When
>> > click the column header for "Date created", "Date modified" or "Size",
>> > the
>> > rows are not sorted (I don't know what order their in). Only sorting
>> > of
>> > the
>> > "Name" field seems to work properly. Sorting seems to work fine in the
>> > regular file explorer, but here it doesn't. Either I'm doing something
>> > wrong, or this is a bug. I searched the support sites and can't find
>> > any
>> > hits. Anybody else see this behavior?
>> >
>> > Thanks, Tommy

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXlWZWU=?=

Re: Column Sort Doesn't Work - Restore File Selection
I went through my earlier scenario and sorted on "Size". The "Size" column
header has the little upward pointing triangle, so this should be an
ascending sort. As I read down the rows, the values are 15KB, 25KB, 50KB,
44KB, 20KB, 66KB, 211KB, 63KB,73KB, 631KB, 30KB and so on. Clearly, not in
ascending sort order.

Hey, I just noticed something. No matter what column you sort on, it always
just sorts by "Name"! For example, if I keep poking the column header "Date
created", it just keeps changing the ascending/descening order of "Name"!

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> OK, I see where you are coming from...you haven't yet clicked "Add" like I
> did. Can you confirm that the data listed in all the columns is different?
> In the particular backup I'm looking at, which is admittedly of a new
> system, my sample pictures all have the same date. But I'm able to sort by
> Size, which is different for each file.

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>
> "TommyVee" <TommyVee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The only columns I see in the Restore screen detail file view are "Name",
> > "Size", "Date created", "Date modified" and "Backup date". Apparently on
> > the
> > restore screen, these are the only columns that can be displayed. Just so
> > we're on the same page, I started the restore utility, hit the "Restore
> > Files" button, then selected "Files from the latest backup", then hit the
> > "Add Files" button. When the file explorer popped up, I selected the
> > "Documents" folder on the left pane, and did a "Details View" on the right
> > pane. That's where the sort doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > Thanks, Tommy
> >
> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> I just tried this myself. When I selected a bunch of sample pictures from
> >> the same location, I noticed that their "In Folder" and "Date modified"
> >> details were the same, so clicking those headers didn't change the sort
> >> because they're identical. When I selected some additional files from a
> >> different location, then their In Folder and Date modified settings were
> >> the
> >> same for those files yet different from the sample pictures. Once I did
> >> this, I could sort by In Folder nad Date modified and see a change.
> >>
> >> Does this make sense? Do you still see the same behavior when the In
> >> Folder
> >> and Date modified entries are all different?
> >>
> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> >> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Column Sort Doesn't Work - Restore File Selection
Can you email me screenshots of what you are seeing? Please expand the
columns as much as possible so we can see the info in each. You can use my
address minus "offline."

Thanks!

>I went through my earlier scenario and sorted on "Size". The "Size" column
> header has the little upward pointing triangle, so this should be an
> ascending sort. As I read down the rows, the values are 15KB, 25KB, 50KB,
> 44KB, 20KB, 66KB, 211KB, 63KB,73KB, 631KB, 30KB and so on. Clearly, not
> in
> ascending sort order.
>
> Hey, I just noticed something. No matter what column you sort on, it
> always
> just sorts by "Name"! For example, if I keep poking the column header
> "Date
> created", it just keeps changing the ascending/descening order of "Name"!
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> OK, I see where you are coming from...you haven't yet clicked "Add" like
>> did. Can you confirm that the data listed in all the columns is
>> different?
>> In the particular backup I'm looking at, which is admittedly of a new
>> system, my sample pictures all have the same date. But I'm able to sort
>> by
>> Size, which is different for each file.

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>
>> "TommyVee" <TommyVee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The only columns I see in the Restore screen detail file view are
>> > "Name",
>> > "Size", "Date created", "Date modified" and "Backup date". Apparently
>> > on
>> > the
>> > restore screen, these are the only columns that can be displayed. Just
>> > so
>> > we're on the same page, I started the restore utility, hit the "Restore
>> > Files" button, then selected "Files from the latest backup", then hit
>> > the
>> > "Add Files" button. When the file explorer popped up, I selected the
>> > "Documents" folder on the left pane, and did a "Details View" on the
>> > right
>> > pane. That's where the sort doesn't seem to work.
>> >
>> > Thanks, Tommy

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXlWZWU=?=

Re: Column Sort Doesn't Work - Restore File Selection
Sorry for the late response, I was out of town for awhile and I just got
back. I'll send you a screenshot later tonight.

Thanks, Tom