Sp1

t-4-2

Sp1

Hello Everyone,
I know you must have seen this a thousand times. I have this laptop for
over 2 years now. Today I was offered , for the 1st time, to install SP1
from Windows Updates. Here is my dilemma :
1.) What took so long ? I had not installed or upgraded my computer
since day 1.
2.) After reading all the " horror " stories sent to this forum, I am
uncertain if I should install it . I am quite content with what I have
right now.
Opinions please. Thank you.

--
t-4-2
Victek

Re: Sp1
> Hello Everyone,
> I know you must have seen this a thousand times. I have this laptop for
> over 2 years now. Today I was offered , for the 1st time, to install SP1
> from Windows Updates. Here is my dilemma :
> 1.) What took so long ? I had not installed or upgraded my computer
> since day 1.
> 2.) After reading all the " horror " stories sent to this forum, I am
> uncertain if I should install it . I am quite content with what I have
> right now.
> Opinions please. Thank you.

Based on my experience I would recommend installing SP1. Even if the
install fails - which was the case on my computer the first time - there is
a very high probability that it will "roll back" cleanly. If you decide to
install I suggest you prepare the system by running Disk Cleanup and Disk
Defrag first. Back up all critical data, just in case! Then right before
the install close all open applications including the ones in the "tray"
(with the exception of your antivirus).

Mick Murphy

RE: Sp1
t-4-2, the 1st application to disable is your anti-virus before installing SP1.
You are using Avast? Once install completed, and all(there are a few)
reboots finish, it will be restarted.

From all reports here, and in real life, it is hit and miss re problems with
SP1 install.
The only sure way for success, is to install Service Packs with a clean
install, by wiping, install Vista, then SP1.
I prefer to use the Standalone version of SP1 to install it.

Doing it the way you are, Updates should not have offered it to you, unless
your machine was ready for it. That is a positive.
Definitely back up all your Data to CD , External HD or Flash Drive before
you atttempt updating..

Cheers.
--
Mad Mike

"t-4-2" wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> I know you must have seen this a thousand times. I have this laptop for
> over 2 years now. Today I was offered , for the 1st time, to install SP1
> from Windows Updates. Here is my dilemma :
> 1.) What took so long ? I had not installed or upgraded my computer
> since day 1.
> 2.) After reading all the " horror " stories sent to this forum, I am
> uncertain if I should install it . I am quite content with what I have
> right now.
> Opinions please. Thank you.
>

> --
> t-4-2

Victek

Re: Sp1
> t-4-2, the 1st application to disable is your anti-virus before installing
> SP1.
> You are using Avast? Once install completed, and all(there are a few)
> reboots finish, it will be restarted.
>
> snip...

FWIW, I've never disabled my AV during service pack installations. In my
case SP1 failed the first time because of an incompatible sound driver. But
if we're going to advise him to disable his AV shouldn't we also suggest
that he disconnect his computer from the internet during the install?

t-4-2

Re: Sp1

Victek;849424 Wrote:
> > t-4-2, the 1st application to disable is your anti-virus before

> installing> > >
> > > SP1.
> > > You are using Avast? Once install completed, and all(there are a few)
> > > reboots finish, it will be restarted.
> > >
> > > snip... > >

> FWIW, I've never disabled my AV during service pack installations. In
> my
> case SP1 failed the first time because of an incompatible sound
> driver. But
> if we're going to advise him to disable his AV shouldn't we also
> suggest
> that he disconnect his computer from the internet during the install?

Thank you. I think I'll just " hide " the SP1 for now. I'm a chicken !

--
t-4-2
Paul Montgomery

Re: Sp1
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 08:06:15 -0500, t-4-2 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Thank you. I think I'll just " hide " the SP1 for now. I'm a chicken !

That's not very smart. But I'm not surprised.
Dyndrilliac

Re: Sp1
I never deactivate my anti-virus for any reason, and I have never had an
issue installing things. Also, I installed SP1 without wiping and
reinstalling the version of Vista that my laptop shipped with, and
everything was fine. I would recommend to the OP to install SP1, as it has
only enhanced my Vista experience, which I was already quite pleased with,
unlike others.