That o'l disk thrashing again!

genesis1

That o'l disk thrashing again!

OK, I thought I had cured my disk thrashing by turning of things I don't
need. Then it came back again, and it goes on for more than an hour.
Auto defrag is off as well. I do a lot of video editing and today have
not been able to get on at all due to this disk thrashing again. The
hard disk access stops smooth playback of video files. I tried running
disk defrag and then stopped it. I think it may have made things worse
by stopping it!
I'm now running Disk Keeper 2008 disk defragmentor, to see if it helps.
It stated the disk was moderatly fragmented.

Im running Vista Home premium 32 bit, with 3gb ram, q6600 nVidia
graphics card.
My performance rating is averaged at 5.4.
The hard disk is SATA ll 700gb 564gb free space
Intel core 2 Quad processor.

I have tried turning off Superfetch, it seemed to cut the disk
thrashing, but then I noticed files were slow opening or populating the
explorer view. It generaly slowed things. So activated it again.

Any tips to help speed up my Vista appreciated.

--
genesis1
Victek

Re: That o'l disk thrashing again!
> OK, I thought I had cured my disk thrashing by turning of things I don't
> need. Then it came back again, and it goes on for more than an hour.
> Auto defrag is off as well. I do a lot of video editing and today have
> not been able to get on at all due to this disk thrashing again. The
> hard disk access stops smooth playback of video files. I tried running
> disk defrag and then stopped it. I think it may have made things worse
> by stopping it!
> I'm now running Disk Keeper 2008 disk defragmentor, to see if it helps.
> It stated the disk was moderatly fragmented.
>
> Im running Vista Home premium 32 bit, with 3gb ram, q6600 nVidia
> graphics card.
> My performance rating is averaged at 5.4.
> The hard disk is SATA ll 700gb 564gb free space
> Intel core 2 Quad processor.
>
> I have tried turning off Superfetch, it seemed to cut the disk
> thrashing, but then I noticed files were slow opening or populating the
> explorer view. It generaly slowed things. So activated it again.
>
> Any tips to help speed up my Vista appreciated.

Have you tried running a disk cleanup app such as Ccleaner? Do you have
enough free space? Did you have Disk Keeper do a "boot time" defrag as well
as a defrag in the GUI?

Mike

Re: That o'l disk thrashing again!
Is search index running?
"genesis1" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> OK, I thought I had cured my disk thrashing by turning of things I don't
> need. Then it came back again, and it goes on for more than an hour.
> Auto defrag is off as well. I do a lot of video editing and today have
> not been able to get on at all due to this disk thrashing again. The
> hard disk access stops smooth playback of video files. I tried running
> disk defrag and then stopped it. I think it may have made things worse
> by stopping it!
> I'm now running Disk Keeper 2008 disk defragmentor, to see if it helps.
> It stated the disk was moderatly fragmented.
>
> Im running Vista Home premium 32 bit, with 3gb ram, q6600 nVidia
> graphics card.
> My performance rating is averaged at 5.4.
> The hard disk is SATA ll 700gb 564gb free space
> Intel core 2 Quad processor.
>
> I have tried turning off Superfetch, it seemed to cut the disk
> thrashing, but then I noticed files were slow opening or populating the
> explorer view. It generaly slowed things. So activated it again.
>
> Any tips to help speed up my Vista appreciated.
>

> --
> genesis1

.Joe

Re: That o'l disk thrashing again!

At the Vista Forums, this tutorial will give you tips on how to speed up
vista:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81...nce-vista.html

I hope this helps.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png\")_
_*::Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/\")_
'Geekbench Score: 4031'
(http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/51273)
_CPU-Z (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345866\")_
genesis1

Re: That o'l disk thrashing again!

After installing a trial version of Diskkeeper 2008. I ran a defrag.
Seems to have helped, as I create and delete a lot of video files. Seems
to be running a bit faster now. Just that the original Vista defrag, is
now missing from my tools menu.Disk keeper seems to have replaced it.
Will the original Vista one return if I uninstall Diskeeper I wonder?

--
genesis1
Paul Montgomery

Re: That o'l disk thrashing again!
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 07:22:24 -0500, genesis1 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>After installing a trial version of Diskkeeper 2008. I ran a defrag.
>Seems to have helped, as I create and delete a lot of video files. Seems
>to be running a bit faster now. Just that the original Vista defrag, is
>now missing from my tools menu.Disk keeper seems to have replaced it.
>Will the original Vista one return if I uninstall Diskeeper I wonder?

If Diskeeper is running, then it would be really dumb to try to run
another one at the same time - ya think?

You're talking about the System Tools menu under Start - All Programs
- Accessories, right?? I have Diskeeper (registered) running here,
and it's the only option there as well.

It should return the menu to its original state if you uninstall.