Explorer.exe crashes before desktop loaded

David Neilson

Explorer.exe crashes before desktop loaded
Everytime I turn on my laptop, windows explorer stops working before the
desktop or anything else shows. I just get the sam error message on a black
screen with the option to either 'check online for a solution and close the
program' (no good!), or 'close the program'. When I do either of these two,
nothing happens, the black screen remains. I can load up task manager, but
thats it. I can load in Safe Mode, but don't how to fix the error windows
Any ideas?

I've copied the problem details below...

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918e5d
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 01890090
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 5129
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

SIW2

Re: Explorer.exe crashes before desktop loaded

Hi,

A quick google, and the fact you can get into safe mode ok, suggests
could be a problem with your video drivers.

Worth starting up using base video and checking your graphics card
manufacturers site to see if you can download and install new drivers.

Go into msconfig and under the General tab, dot Selective startup and
Load system services
6937

Then under the Boot tab, select Base video, Apply, OK.

6938

If you have a problem with IE , might like to try running it with no
add-ons

Info here might be relevant

'Crashing in explorer.exe module in Windows Vista Performance and
Maintenance'
(http://www.microsoft.com/communities...r=US&sloc=&p=1)

SIW2

|Filename: BASE VIDEO2008-09-19_200036.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=6938 |

SIW2
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"SIW2" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> A quick google, and the fact you can get into safe mode ok, suggests
> could be a problem with your video drivers.
>
> Worth starting up using base video and checking your graphics card
> manufacturers site to see if you can download and install new drivers.
>
> Go into msconfig and under the General tab, dot Selective startup and
> Load system services
> 6937
>
> Then under the Boot tab, select Base video, Apply, OK.
>
> 6938
>
> If you have a problem with IE , might like to try running it with no
> add-ons
>
> Info here might be relevant
>
> 'Crashing in explorer.exe module in Windows Vista Performance and
> Maintenance'
> (http://www.microsoft.com/communities...r=US&sloc=&p=1)

Safe Mode doesn't use the video drivers.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

snowboard36

Re: Explorer.exe crashes before desktop loaded

thank you,

that worked for me but the bad thing about this is that it increases
the size of everything and as if someone increased the size of the
icons,text, everything etc.

could you please tell me how to minimize this?

thank you

--
snowboard36
jrobinson3k1

snowboard36;1035245 Wrote:
> thank you,
>
> that worked for me but the bad thing about this is that it increases
> the size of everything and as if someone increased the size of the
> icons,text, everything etc.
>
> could you please tell me how to minimize this?
>
> thank you

Did you download the latest drivers for your video card, restart, and
turn off the options you earlier turned on to see if that worked?

--
jrobinson3k1