Explorer.exe stops running before my desktop is displayed

David Neilson

Explorer.exe stops running before my desktop is displayed
I've suddenly developed a problem when logging on to my laptop. Once I enter
my password, windows starts to load up, but explorer stops working before the
desktop or anything else is displayed, and produces an error message.
Clicking on the error message shuts the message down, but leaves a blank
black screen. I can load the task manager. I can also load Internet Explorer
by clicking on the 'privacy policy' hotlink at the foot of the error message.
Im running Vista Utlimate.
Any ideas?

The error massage displayed is..
'Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows can check online for a
solution to the problem.'
Then two options.. 'Check online for a solution and close the program.' OR
'Close the program'.

The problem details are as follows..
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918e5d
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 01890090
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 5129
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409

Rick Rogers

Re: Explorer.exe stops running before my desktop is displayed
Hi,

From Task Manager, on the applications tab click 'new task' and enter
regedit, then click ok. Go to this key:

Double click the shell entry in the right pane, replace the contents with
just:

explorer.exe

and click ok. Close the registry editor and restart the system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"David Neilson" <DavidNeilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've suddenly developed a problem when logging on to my laptop. Once I
> enter
> my password, windows starts to load up, but explorer stops working before
> the
> desktop or anything else is displayed, and produces an error message.
> Clicking on the error message shuts the message down, but leaves a blank
> black screen. I can load the task manager. I can also load Internet
> Explorer
> by clicking on the 'privacy policy' hotlink at the foot of the error
> message.
> Im running Vista Utlimate.
> Any ideas?
>
> The error massage displayed is..
> 'Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows can check online for a
> solution to the problem.'
> Then two options.. 'Check online for a solution and close the program.' OR
> 'Close the program'.
>
> The problem details are as follows..
> Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: BEX
> Application Name: Explorer.EXE
> Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
> Application Timestamp: 47918e5d
> Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
> Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
> Exception Offset: 01890090
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Data: 00000008
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 5129
> Additional Information 1: fd00
> Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> Additional Information 3: fd00
> Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
>
> Read our privacy statement:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409

David Neilson

Re: Explorer.exe stops running before my desktop is displayed
Hi Rick,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunately i tried going in and out, in safe mode and restoring and have
made the sitiuation worse!
Now when I boot up my laptop and enter the intial password, it doesnt get as
far before the the black screen appears, I can't access the task manager, and
now safe mode doesn't work either!
Unfortunately I'm overseas so so dont have my Vista DVD to boot from. Is
there a way of perhaps getting into it any other way, dos, etc? Otherwise its
a trip to the PC doctors!
Thanks.
David.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From Task Manager, on the applications tab click 'new task' and enter
> regedit, then click ok. Go to this key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> Double click the shell entry in the right pane, replace the contents with
> just:
>
> explorer.exe
>
> and click ok. Close the registry editor and restart the system.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "David Neilson" <DavidNeilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've suddenly developed a problem when logging on to my laptop. Once I
> > enter
> > my password, windows starts to load up, but explorer stops working before
> > the
> > desktop or anything else is displayed, and produces an error message.
> > Clicking on the error message shuts the message down, but leaves a blank
> > black screen. I can load the task manager. I can also load Internet
> > Explorer
> > by clicking on the 'privacy policy' hotlink at the foot of the error
> > message.
> > Im running Vista Utlimate.
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > The error massage displayed is..
> > 'Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows can check online for a
> > solution to the problem.'
> > Then two options.. 'Check online for a solution and close the program.' OR
> > 'Close the program'.
> >
> > The problem details are as follows..
> > Problem signature:
> > Problem Event Name: BEX
> > Application Name: Explorer.EXE
> > Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
> > Application Timestamp: 47918e5d
> > Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
> > Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> > Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
> > Exception Offset: 01890090
> > Exception Code: c0000005
> > Exception Data: 00000008
> > OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> > Locale ID: 5129
> > Additional Information 1: fd00
> > Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> > Additional Information 3: fd00
> > Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> >
> > Read our privacy statement:
> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409

Rick Rogers

Re: Explorer.exe stops running before my desktop is displayed
Hi,

Nope, at this point you'd need a disk to get to the recovery environment.