Windows Photo gallery

yorkshire lass

Windows Photo gallery

[image:
file:///C:/Users/dawn/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg][image:
file:///C:/Users/dawn/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg]I have
imported photos from my camera to Windows Photo gallery and then copied
and pasted them into my photo albums folder. When I try to set a photo
as Desktop background , I cannot do it and get the following error
message :-

The FileC:\Users\dawn\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Windows photo
Gallery\WindowsPhoto Gallery wallpaper.jpg could not be written . Please
check permissions on this file and try again.

I tried to copy and past this message using the Vista snip tool but
that didn't work either!

--
yorkshire lass

__________________
Vista Home Premium ;AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core Processor;260 GHS ;
2048 RAM 250 GB
external HD 250 GB;MacaFee Total Security 9
pooch

Re: Windows Photo gallery

Hi yorkshire lass

I don't know why this is not working for you, but if it doesn't matter
where the pictures go, I do not import the pictures myself but right
click on the camera icon open it like any other drive and copy the
pictures that I want to a prefered folder, in my case D:\Photos.
Then when I want a new background I just do the norm from this folder.
I hope this helps and works..

Pooch

--
pooch
yorkshire lass

Re: Windows Photo gallery

Thanks for replying, unfortunately I can't find an icon for my camera ,
it just imports by default into WPG and then I have to copy and past
into Photos folder. Some photos I can set as desktop wallpaper from that
folder and some I can't. I've tried right clicking and leftclick/ File
but some it works for and some it won't!!

--
yorkshire lass

__________________
Vista Home Premium ;AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core Processor;260 GHS ;
2048 RAM 250 GB
external HD 250 GB;MacaFee Total Security 9
pooch

Re: Windows Photo gallery

Hi yorkshire lass

Sorry,
I think that I did not make myself very clear I meant that the Camera
should show up in computer along with the other drives.
As for automatic imports you can stop this by going to Control Panel -
cd's and other media playback, look for an entry under media for your
camera and change the entry so that it does not automatically import
photos, but gives you a dialogue asking you what you want to do. ie,
open folder

I hope this makes sense as I am translating from my German vista, if
not let me know and I will change my language and try again

Ps the camera has to be connected while changing the autostart

--
pooch
SIW2

Re: Windows Photo gallery

yorkshire lass;847433 Wrote:
> [image:
> file:///C:/Users/dawn/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg][image:
> file:///C:/Users/dawn/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg]I have
> imported photos from my camera to Windows Photo gallery and then copied
> and pasted them into my photo albums folder. When I try to set a photo
> as Desktop background , I cannot do it and get the following error
> message :-
> The FileC:\Users\dawn\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Windows photo
> Gallery\WindowsPhoto Gallery wallpaper.jpg could not be written . Please
> check permissions on this file and try again.
> I tried to copy and past this message using the Vista snip tool but
> that didn't work either!

Hello Dawn

I found I was able to copy jpegs directly into the wallpaper folder
using my screen capture app.

I use Faststone capture 3.5. The Run this program as admin box needs to
be checked ( right click the .exe - under compatibility tab tick the box
and Apply , OK ) - when I run the program, I also right click and run as
admin. for good measure.

6926

Hope this helps

SIW2

|Filename: COMPAT2008-09-28_131624.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=6926 |

SIW2
Malke

Re: Windows Photo gallery
yorkshire lass wrote:

> Thanks for replying, unfortunately I can't find an icon for my camera ,
> it just imports by default into WPG and then I have to copy and past
> into Photos folder. Some photos I can set as desktop wallpaper from that
> folder and some I can't. I've tried right clicking and leftclick/ File
> but some it works for and some it won't!!

A better solution with cameras is to purchase a USB card reader and put the
camera's SD card into it. Then Windows will treat it as just another drive
and you can copy/paste the picture files wherever you want. Most laptops
and some newer desktops even have a card reader built into them. Or the
Photo Gallery might have options so you can change the default importing
function.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

pooch

Re: Windows Photo gallery

Malke;847519 Wrote:
> yorkshire lass wrote:
> > > >

> > > Thanks for replying, unfortunately I can't find an icon for my camera

> > ,
> > > it just imports by default into WPG and then I have to copy and past
> > > into Photos folder. Some photos I can set as desktop wallpaper from

> > that
> > > folder and some I can't. I've tried right clicking and leftclick/

> > File
> > > but some it works for and some it won't!!

> put the
> camera's SD card into it. Then Windows will treat it as just another
> drive
> and you can copy/paste the picture files wherever you want. Most
> laptops
> and some newer desktops even have a card reader built into them. Or
> the
> Photo Gallery might have options so you can change the default
> importing
> function.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)

not necessary as the camera is already treated as a drive

--
pooch
yorkshire lass

Re: Windows Photo gallery

pooch;847504 Wrote:
> Hi yorkshire lass
>
> Sorry,
> I think that I did not make myself very clear I meant that the Camera
> should show up in computer along with the other drives.
> As for automatic imports you can stop this by going to Control Panel -
> cd's and other media playback, look for an entry under media for your
> camera and change the entry so that it does not automatically import
> photos, but gives you a dialogue asking you what you want to do. ie,
> open folder
>
> I hope this makes sense as I am translating from my German vista, if
> not let me know and I will change my language and try again
>
> Ps the camera has to be connected while changing the autostart

Please don't apologise, it's me wot got it wrong!! I'll try that next
time , I've deleted the pictures from my camera so I'll have to take
some more. Many thanks for going to all this trouble, it's very much
appreciated.

--
yorkshire lass

__________________

yorkshire lass;847525 Wrote:
> > pooch;847504 Wrote:
> > Hi yorkshire lass
> >
> > Sorry,
> > I think that I did not make myself very clear I meant that the Camera
> > should show up in computer along with the other drives.
> > As for automatic imports you can stop this by going to Control Panel -
> > cd's and other media playback, look for an entry under media for your
> > camera and change the entry so that it does not automatically import
> > photos, but gives you a dialogue asking you what you want to do. ie,
> > open folder
> >
> > I hope this makes sense as I am translating from my German vista, if
> > not let me know and I will change my language and try again
> >
> > Ps the camera has to be connected while changing the autostart> >

> Please don't apologise, it's me wot got it wrong!! I'll try that next
> time , I've deleted the pictures from my camera so I'll have to take
> some more. Many thanks for going to all this trouble, it's very much
> appreciated.

Pleased to help..

--
pooch
SIW2

Re: Windows Photo gallery

pooch;847530 Wrote:
> > > Hi yorkshire lass
> > >
> > > Sorry,
> > > I think that I did not make myself very clear I meant that the Camera
> > > should show up in computer along with the other drives.
> > > As for automatic imports you can stop this by going to Control Panel -
> > > cd's and other media playback, look for an entry under media for your
> > > camera and change the entry so that it does not automatically import
> > > photos, but gives you a dialogue asking you what you want to do. ie,
> > > open folder
> > >
> > > I hope this makes sense as I am translating from my German vista, if
> > > not let me know and I will change my language and try again
> > >
> > > Ps the camera has to be connected while changing the autostart> > > >

> > Please don't apologise, it's me wot got it wrong!! I'll try that
> > next time , I've deleted the pictures from my camera so I'll have to
> > take some more. Many thanks for going to all this trouble, it's very
> > much appreciated. > >

> Pleased to help..

Hello Dawn

Sorry if that wasn't clear, I meant to tick the Run as admin box under
Properties>Compatibility of the app. you are using to copy the pics to
the wallpaper folder , not the camera itself.

Also, I found when importing from my scanner , sometimes the imports
have the read only box checked under Properties>General. As some of your
jpegs seem to copy , and some not, - might be worth checking to see if
that's the case

6936
SIW2

|Filename: permissions2008-09-28_130830.jpeg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=6936 |

SIW2